Pollard Radio Comments - 11/5/12

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
AD Jamie Pollard was on the first thirty minutes of lastnight's Cyclone call-in radio show and had a few interesting comments:

1. Question on what has been the hardest things to get done at ISU. Said thatraising money do get critical things improved came first and the Cyclone fanshad stepped up through increased donations and ticket sales. Increased TVmonies have also helped. Now that the "low-hanging fruit" has beenaccomplished, the next challenges are harder and challenging but worthy ofefforts.

2. Direct question on the South End Zone project - said it will get done butquestion is on timing. ISU has momentum now and we do not want to slow thatwith taking on too much debt. We have spent a lot of money on facilityimprovements recently. Also plans on the project will be changed since the newfootball facility takes the need for improved lock rooms and offices out of theneed.

3. Public tour of new football facility - they are thinking of possibly nextspring around the
spring game. The team officially moved in over the weekend.

4. Why no Big XLL logo on the football field and basketball court? Footballfield - paint kills grass, ground crew against more paint. Basketball court -when floor replaced after last flood, Big XII was in turmoil and no guaranteeit would exist. Why place logo on the floor only to have it removed? Plans areto add logo back when floor needs resanding.

5. Big XII commish Bowlsby was in town for the football game Saturday. Pollardgave him and the Oklahoma AD a tour of the new football facility. Pollardthinks Bowlsby is the "perfect leader" for the conference at thistime and will see us through the ever-changing football playoff

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I've always been curious why we don't have the Big 12 logo on the field/court.

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
Was at the ball game on Sunday and was wondering the same question as to why b12 logo was not on the court. Then got to thinking I didn't remember seeing it on the field on sat either.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
2. Direct question on the South End Zone project - said it will get done butquestion is on timing. ISU has momentum now and we do not want to slow thatwith taking on too much debt. We have spent a lot of money on facilityimprovements recently. Also plans on the project will be changed since the newfootball facility takes the need for improved lock rooms and offices out of theneed.

This is interesting....
So when numbers of $60 million were being floated around earlier that must of included a mix of what we just built and the Bowl in/Concessions
So I am assuming they will need to mock up some new ones and throw a new price tag on it?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Check me if I'm wrong, but in addition to the original plans including lockerrooms and offices, they also planned to have a basketball practice facility under the stands.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Check me if I'm wrong, but in addition to the original plans including lockerrooms and offices, they also planned to have a basketball practice facility under the stands.

That was an older plan that either Gene Smith or Bruce V came up with. Two different generations of imaginary projects not getting done.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Thanks for sharing. I have class on Monday nights so these "quick hits" have been very useful to me. I am hoping an announcement of the SEZ is announced in the next year. I am anticipating that at least....

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I haven't been paying really close attention to the SEZ talk, but has Pollard said "it will get done" before? That seems more concrete than what I've read.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I haven't been paying really close attention to the SEZ talk, but has Pollard said "it will get done" before? That seems more concrete than what I've read.

He's kind of been saying that a little more freely. I heard him say it on the tailgate tour. He indicated there were some other debts he wanted to take care of first so we can "do it right" and not on the cheap.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!

They were originally going to have the offices, lockerrooms and equipment space under the SEZ. That's all now in the new FOF. The basketball practice facility was going to be a part of a addition on the front of Hilton, that included things for Wrestling and VB too. This was all plans that Pollard had.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He's kind of been saying that a little more freely. I heard him say it on the tailgate tour. He indicated there were some other debts he wanted to take care of first so we can "do it right" and not on the cheap.

I think Leath may see this as a huge opportunity to put a big stamp on the main gateway to ISU. That is another reason why it is a good project, but also why it must be done right. Once done that south endzone will be the first thing 90% of prospective students\faculty see when they pull into ames. It won't do the entire job of selling either on ISU, but it certainly has the ability to set the right first impression. And right now, with our small-time look from that endzone, i don't know that we're setting the right one.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think Leath may see this as a huge opportunity to put a big stamp on the main gateway to ISU.

I've heard so many positive comments from non-ISU people about the brick pillars on University I can't believe such a small change can mean so much. I imagine the SEZ project wouldn't be concrete pillars with some bathrooms underneath because that looks 1970's but rather a full facade. Incorporating that into the 1970's style may be tough but it's the only way to go.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think Leath may see this as a huge opportunity to put a big stamp on the main gateway to ISU. That is another reason why it is a good project, but also why it must be done right. Once done that south endzone will be the first thing 90% of prospective students\faculty see when they pull into ames. It won't do the entire job of selling either on ISU, but it certainly has the ability to set the right first impression. And right now, with our small-time look from that endzone, i don't know that we're setting the right one.

If it is that important for Iowa State University as a whole maybe it should see some general funding.....

I'm joking, kind of.

Bobby45

Aug 15, 2012
The South End Zone project will be done someday....

I have a sinking feeling that Someday will be after Im Dead and Buried...

btw I've been waiting since 1976 for the SEZ to be completed...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If it is that important for Iowa State University as a whole maybe it should see some general funding.....

I'm joking, kind of.

I think a case could be made for it, but i doubt it will happen because some idiots will come out with "OMGWTFBBQ, state funding going to football when tuition is rising!!!111"... completely ignoring the value athletics bring to the university

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why no Big XLL logo on the football field and basketball court? Footballfield - paint kills grass, ground crew against more paint.

But the paint in the endzones and the I-State is okay for the grass?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think a case could be made for it, but i doubt it will happen because some idiots will come out with "OMGWTFBBQ, state funding going to football when tuition is rising!!!111"... completely ignoring the value athletics bring to the university

I just don't think that it would be fair to postpone the stadium expansion because it costs another $10 million to make it look pretty from the road. If it is important for the university that it look amazing and we spend a lot of money on it, then they should help out a little bit IMO.

But you are right, nobody would ever buy it.