Pollard Ribbing the Register

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
In the ISU @ Tech match earlier, a rule was misapplied and ISU finished the match under protest (and lost).

The Big 12 granted the protest and decided the game would be replayed from the point of the error when Tech played @ ISU.

In order to keep the atmosphere as neutral as possible (because it was technically a Tech home match), they didn't allow any fans in Hilton. Apparently, they also didn't let in media, which seems weird but that's what they did.

Media types were up in arms about being prevented from covering a match that they never would have been at anyway.

Pollard put them in their place.

It would have looked better if Pollard could have stated how many reporters these newspapers usually send to ISU games. Do they really have zero reporters at the games? Somehow I really doubt that. Just because it isn't Randy Peterson himself doesn't mean he doesn't have a point.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
It would have looked better if Pollard could have stated how many reporters these newspapers usually send to ISU games. Do they really have zero reporters at the games? Somehow I really doubt that. Just because it isn't Randy Peterson himself doesn't mean he doesn't have a point.

Well, if the Rag has ever sent reporters to a volleyball game I don't know what they do while they're there as I've never seen an article on their website about volleyball. The point here is that Peterson and Brown shouldn't be lamenting the Big 12's decision unless they were planning on coming up and covering it, they don't need to try to be the spokesmen for the media.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
While the digital age is the main reason newspapers will soon go the way of the dinosaur, reporters like this and some of their comments/responses are why I've already moved on from the Register and it's online site.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
After all of the huffing and puffing earlier today, nobody showed up to tonight's match. The Register has nothing. The Trib ran a five-sentence "recap" gleaned from the boxscore -- and couldn't even get Morgan Kuhrt's name right ("Tory Kurt").

The roads were in bad shape last night. I saw a dozen cars on North Dakota that couldn't make it up the hill going south toward Lincoln Way at 6:30pm.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
One thing I notice with Murph/Andy, it's clear they check CF, but they ultimately have the last say on spin on issues as they have a radio/TV presence.

As accessibility to info changes (fb, Twitter, fan sites) I almost see it as the media grasping for relevancy. While info on CF is obviously slanted a bit, the stories are always very fair, realistic, and well thought out. I wonder if some local media play the drama card a bit to get attention/viewership?

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
WRONG. I emailed the head resident sports moron MILLER of the DM rag about why no coverage of the title deciding match meeting aginst Texas AT AMES last yr I THINK IT WAS and only got a crappy answer about "WELL I SENT NAUGHTON TO THE NEBRASKA MATCH" Responded with what does that have to do with the no coverage against Texas? Never a response

Last edited: