Pollard Ribbing the Register

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Thought this was funny.

Apparently the Big 12 didn't allow media in Hilton to watch the replay of the Tech-ISU match that had been protested.

Rick Brown and Randy Peterson went to Twitter to criticize the Big 12:

Rick Brown ‏@ByRickBrown
Since the media was barred from the event, is it against Big XII policy for the media to run results of the ISU-T. Techy volleyball replay?

Randy Peterson ‏@RandyPete
Email says #cyclones won resumed volleyball match vs TexasTech Wed. We'll take their word for it. @Big12Conference didn't allow reporters

Pollard wasn't having any of it from reporters who generally don't give volleyball the time of day:

Jamie Pollard ‏@IASTATEAD
Ironic? When has Rick Brown EVER covered ISU volleyball? “@ByRickBrown: is it against policy for the media to run results of vb replay?â€￾

Jamie Pollard ‏@IASTATEAD
@RandyPete @ByRickBrown VB plays again tonight at 6:30pm. Do you need directions to Hilton? We will save two seats for you. @CycloneVB

JP is a great advocate for the athletes in non-revenue sports and I think the lack of attention they get frustrates him. So DMR reporters complaining about something that they otherwise wouldn't care about gave him a good opening here. Props to JP.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
like what, ISU would come and say "we winnded!" and Tech'll say "no WE winnded!" They think if they weren't there everyone would have just lied about the score. Give me a break.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It does seem weird that the media wouldn't be involved. But it seems even weirder that the DM Register cares at all.

Bobby from the Tribune was complaining about it also, but I don't know that Pollard tweeted him---probably because the Tribune does cover volleyball some.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
like what, ISU would come and say "we winnded!" and Tech'll say "no WE winnded!" They think if they weren't there everyone would have just lied about the score. Give me a break.

I know.....the integrity of the game doesn't depend on the Register having reporters there. And we all know there is NO WAY that the Register would have reporters at the game at 10:00 in the morning the day before Thanksgiving.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

I think it's more part of the media blowing anything out of proportion that involves the media themselves.

Any topic in the news that affects media members will receive far more coverage than it deserves, because the people who are affected are the ones writing the stories, and this is no different.

Normal people care little to none about the Big 12 barring the media from a replayed volleyball match, but even though it doesn't impact Randy Peterson (he wouldn't have showed up anyway) he'll still complain because the media will stand up for the media, or something

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think it's more part of the media blowing anything out of proportion that involves the media themselves.

Any topic in the news that affects media members will receive far more coverage than it deserves, because the people who are affected are the ones writing the stories, and this is no different.

Normal people care little to none about the Big 12 barring the media from a replayed volleyball match, but even though it doesn't impact Randy Peterson (he wouldn't have showed up anyway) he'll still complain because the media will stand up for the media, or something

exactly, it's not like they were going to show up anyway. They just want to ***** about it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It does seem weird that the media wouldn't be involved. But it seems even weirder that the DM Register cares at all.

Bobby from the Tribune was complaining about it also, but I don't know that Pollard tweeted him---probably because the Tribune does cover volleyball some.

I agree. Weird move by the Big XII. I'm surprised the Register noticed. I guess cause it's a unique event.

With all due respect to volleyball and it's fans, it's not something that moves the needle at all with 95% of sports fans in central Iowa (and thats probably being generous). Given they are down to a skeleton crew I can't kill the register too much for not devoting resources to ISU volleyball.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
i'm so confused. volleyball doesn't let the media in?

In the ISU @ Tech match earlier, a rule was misapplied and ISU finished the match under protest (and lost).

The Big 12 granted the protest and decided the game would be replayed from the point of the error when Tech played @ ISU.

In order to keep the atmosphere as neutral as possible (because it was technically a Tech home match), they didn't allow any fans in Hilton. Apparently, they also didn't let in media, which seems weird but that's what they did.

Media types were up in arms about being prevented from covering a match that they never would have been at anyway.

Pollard put them in their place.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
i'm so confused. volleyball doesn't let the media in?

part of a game from a month or so ago was replayed today due to an improper rule application. Because it was originally played at Texas Tech, the Big 12 asked for no audience beyond coaching staff and necessary administrative staff to keep a neutral environment. Normally media are allowed in just fine. Though not like the Register was sitting front and center for previous games anyway.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree. Weird move by the Big XII. I'm surprised the Register noticed. I guess cause it's a unique event.

With all due respect to volleyball and it's fans, it's not something that moves the needle at all with 95% of sports fans in central Iowa (and thats probably being generous). Given they are down to a skeleton crew I can't kill the register too much for not devoting resources to ISU volleyball.

I'm not going to either, but they lose the right to complain about not being able to cover the replay match when they won't cover any of it.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

actually, Iowa is one of the top volleyball states as far as where recruits come from. So while I don't disagree that most people probably weren't paying attention to it - it's probably more popular in that state than you would think :smile:

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I think it would be great if those 2 from the rag never covered any Iowa State sporting event.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I know.....the integrity of the game doesn't depend on the Register having reporters there. And we all know there is NO WAY that the Register would have reporters at the game at 10:00 in the morning the day before Thanksgiving.

Unless there was an incredible brunch spread or other handouts.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
That's hilarious. Rick Brown doesn't even cover ISU sports.