Pompey and Bundrage

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Quinton Pompey and Quenton Bundrage played on ESPN earlier this year. I found it on ESPN3. I rememeber watching it earlier this year wishing for Mike Blakley (Florida RB signee). It's pretty cool to watch now that you know some of the players are going to Iowa State for sure. In this game Pompey breaks the Alabama and Florida State recruits. He also goes head to head with a Michigan Oline recruit (#75 in white) a couple times. Bundrage is real thin, but he is exciting when he gets the ball. He also appears to be faster than Blakely when he's running with him on a long run.

If you're bored and like football its a fun watch. It's ESPN3. If you need help getting ESPN3: list your provider as Comcast, then use espn360gt as your username, and thwg4ever for your password in the comcast signup page.

Streaming Online - ESPN3

Pompey is #90 in Red
Bundrage is #11 in Red

Also making an appearance
Phillip Ely (Alabama QB signee we offered) #12 in white
James Wilder (Florida State) #32 white
Bobby Richardson (the DT we almost got stuck with) #92 white
Tony Posada (Michigan) #75 white
Mike Blakely (Florida) #7 red

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Watched the first half(video quit before the 2nd half) and here are my thoughts:

Pompey is a huge get for ISU. The guy is almost always in the backfield disrupting or making plays. He also made a play where he ran the opposing teams running back down. On the flip side, he has horrible field awareness. He sacked the QB on a play and was celebrating all by his lonesome for a ridiculous amount of time while the play was still going on because of a fumble. Their was a couple other plays I noticed he had no idea the play was still going on. He also needs to add strength, but this kid was a huge get for this team. Could end up being the best of the class. This kid will red shirt, but he could end up being a 4 year starter.

Bundrage was not impressive at all. He dropped a wide open pass, fumbled the ball on an end around, and has no interest at all in blocking. He made one block the whole half while the rest of the time he won't even try to block. Very athletic and has some very nice speed, but he has some major improving to do if he ever sees the field. Also needs to put on a 20 pounds of muscle as he is very skinny. It was game 1 of the season so I know their was a lot of rust, but I definitely can see why the staff offered. The kid has a ton of potential. I can't see this kid contributing until at least his 3rd year in the program though.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Watched the first half(video quit before the 2nd half) and here are my thoughts:

Pompey is a huge get for ISU. The guy is almost always in the backfield disrupting or making plays. He also made a play where he ran the opposing teams running back down. On the flip side, he has horrible field awareness. He sacked the QB on a play and was celebrating all by his lonesome for a ridiculous amount of time while the play was still going on because of a fumble. Their was a couple other plays I noticed he had no idea the play was still going on. He also needs to add strength, but this kid was a huge get for this team. Could end up being the best of the class. This kid will red shirt, but he could end up being a 4 year starter.

Bundrage was not impressive at all. He dropped a wide open pass, fumbled the ball on an end around, and has no interest at all in blocking. He made one block the whole half while the rest of the time he won't even try to block. Very athletic and has some very nice speed, but he has some major improving to do if he ever sees the field. Also needs to put on a 20 pounds of muscle as he is very skinny. It was game 1 of the season so I know their was a lot of rust, but I definitely can see why the staff offered. The kid has a ton of potential. I can't see this kid contributing until at least his 3rd year in the program though.

I think you have a fair assessment of Bundrage. He had flashes during the game, and I believe at one point it looked like he was jogging yet he was keeping up with their running back Mike Blakely - Yahoo! Sports who was sprinting.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Another 20,000 that Pompey doesn't redshirt?

On Bundrage, I agree but it doesn't worry me. There are very few high school recievers that are good blockers. That will be taken care of. My guess in Bundrage is redshirted see some time his RS frehsman year and is starting as a sophomore.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
I think Bundrage is an awesome blocker. One of Blakely's TDs was because he blocked his guy to the endzone. You can tell he can become very impressive once he gets thicker.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Another 20,000 that Pompey doesn't redshirt?

On Bundrage, I agree but it doesn't worry me. There are very few high school recievers that are good blockers. That will be taken care of. My guess in Bundrage is redshirted see some time his RS frehsman year and is starting as a sophomore.

The only way Pompey doesn't red shirt is because of injuries. He needs to add strength. Bundrage will not be starting his Sophomore year unless he makes drastic improvement between now and than. His redshirt Sophomore year will be the earliest he sees quality playing time in my opinion. He could see some time as a red shirt freshman, but sparse. Unless of course, the improvement is drastic like I said. Also, yes, you are correct that most high school kids aren't good blockers, but at least most try to block. He did everything he could to avoid blocking.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I think Bundrage is an awesome blocker. One of Blakely's TDs was because he blocked his guy to the endzone. You can tell he can become very impressive once he gets thicker.

That was the one block I was referring too. I ONLY watched him every play and every other play besides that one, he did everything to avoid blocking. You can't say a kid is awesome at something when he does it once. It was a great block, but it was the only time he even tried to block.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Who here is happy we never offered Richardson just to get a DT? That would have been a waste of a scholarship.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The only way Pompey doesn't red shirt is because of injuries. He needs to add strength. Bundrage will not be starting his Sophomore year unless he makes drastic improvement between now and than. His redshirt Sophomore year will be the earliest he sees quality playing time in my opinion. He could see some time as a red shirt freshman, but sparse. Unless of course, the improvement is drastic like I said. Also, yes, you are correct that most high school kids aren't good blockers, but at least most try to block. He did everything he could to avoid blocking.

Pompey is reported to have a bench of 400 lbs. Even if that's exaggerated, he's still likely over 350. As long as he can get himself in shape I just see him being useful enough to not redshirt. I would love if we could redshirt him because someone else stepped up but I just think he will be able to help enough immediately to justify not redshirting him.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Pompey is reported to have a bench of 400 lbs. Even if that's exaggerated, he's still likely over 350. As long as he can get himself in shape I just see him being useful enough to not redshirt. I would love if we could redshirt him because someone else stepped up but I just think he will be able to help enough immediately to justify not redshirting him.

I'll bet you another 20,000 that he red shirts IF their is not a major injury bug that hits the interior d-lineman. Like I said before though, this kid could be a 4 year starter. 3 at least.

Re fresh my memory again on the other bet. I remember betting, but I am having a hard time remembering for what.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
That was the one block I was referring too. I ONLY watched him every play and every other play besides that one, he did everything to avoid blocking. You can't say a kid is awesome at something when he does it once. It was a great block, but it was the only time he even tried to block.

When I watched one of the things that stood out was that he was a good blocker. I remember the TD block, and then on another play he blocked Wilder. Maybe I need to watch again.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
When I watched one of the things that stood out was that he was a good blocker. I remember the TD block, and then on another play he blocked Wilder. Maybe I need to watch again.

You need to watch JUST him. He has no interest in blocking, but that can easily be fixed with coaching.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
And to make him seem even better, thats no regular high school OL he's going against. I swear i was watching a college game, maybe not D1, but hes going against good competition.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
ruempolhamer was a 5.1 2 star on rivals and he played as a true freshman. this kid is damn near a 4 star-i'd be he sees action next year as long as he's eligible.

Stephen Ruempolhamer - Yahoo! Sports

The difference is their is 4-5 guys with experience ahead of Pompey, where as their was not with Ruempolhamer. Unless he is better than them, the coaches will make a decision that is best for the team, and having him play significantly for 4, instead of 3 years is better for the team in the long run. If he is only going to play a few plays a game, the coaches will red shirt him.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I could see Pompey avoiding the RS...IF he makes it in this June and works himself into playing shape (as in loses 15 lbs), what competition does he have for that fourth inside spot? Black hasn't done anything in three previous years. Jensen is coming off RS and injury. Woods is coming off injury. Moore (if he is moved inside) needs to add muscle. There's no reason why Pompey couldn't beat those guys out. At the very least, with Rump graduating, he's going to be right in the thick of things in 2012. We'll see I guess...he has to get his grades in order first.

As for Bundrage, he's redshirting for sure. He needs a year in the weightroom. But, in 2012, ISU will lose Darks and Reynolds on the outside. He's going to be competing with Blanton, Young and Ecby for one of the outside spots. No reason he can't be right in there competing with those guys. Blocking can be taught somewhat.

Last edited:

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
The difference is their is 4-5 guys with experience ahead of Pompey, where as their was not with Ruempolhamer. Unless he is better than them, the coaches will make a decision that is best for the team, and having him play significantly for 4, instead of 3 years is better for the team in the long run. If he is only going to play a few plays a game, the coaches will red shirt him.

bailey johnson, both frere's, black, alburtis, tate, and weir all had experience that year and he still got snaps.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009

I think all of us would like Popmpey to redshirt, but we only have 3 proven DTs. If he's the 4th best he has to play.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'll bet you another 20,000 that he red shirts IF their is not a major injury bug that hits the interior d-lineman. Like I said before though, this kid could be a 4 year starter. 3 at least.

Re fresh my memory again on the other bet. I remember betting, but I am having a hard time remembering for what.

I think it was on Barnett being ahead of Tiller but it took me a few minutes to remember as well.