Portable heaters

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So i've been looking at getting a jet heater for a garage. I do construction and am needing to get one for projects. Im curious if any of you have any suggestions. I've used kerosene heaters and they work pretty well. But I haven't used propane heaters. The one benefit of a propane heater is you dont need power to run the heater. My question or the reason im contemplating the 2 is because propane is a little more expensive but if it would last longer than kerosene, I wouldnt mind spending more. So if anyone would give there 2 cents, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks to anyone whos replies.

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
The kerosene heaters do require power for sure, but I dont believe propane ones do.

One like this does not require power: Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters
It also does not heat my 2 car garage very well or very quickly.

One like this requires electricity (click on owners manual, and look under "Specifications"): Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters
This one did a good job of heating my friend's garage the other day when we needed it.

Hope this helps.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
It does help. I was mainly curious if there was much heat differance and also if one was cheaper to run. But I have always liked kerosene heaters, as they produce a good amount of heat.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have one of these for my garage. I picked this one because I could use it inside if we lost power to the house. Hooks to 20 pound cylinder. Takes ahile to heat the garage, but keeps it warm for working in. I also put a carbon monoxide detector in the garage for safety.

Shop Mr. Heater 18000 BTU Portable Propane Heater at Lowes.com"

Last edited:

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
I just picked up a multi fuel torpedo heater. Its called a Kerosene heater but it can run on diesel fuel. Diesel is cheaper and much more accessible than Kerosene. I was a little worried about the fumes from diesel fuel but I have been really happy with it. It was on sale at Northern Tool...220,000 btu so it would heat up a workshop very quickly. 14 gallon fuel tank so it will run for quite a while. I use propane heaters all the time (temporary heat new houses that we build) but you have to have such a long hose in order to leave the propane tanks outside. Thought we would try to torpedo style so they can be moved around inside the house. Will probably go buy a couple more before the sale ends.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
One thing you want to watch out for is any heater that burns fuel and isn't vented to the exterior is going to cause a lot of condensation on metal surfaces. I discovered this the hard way when I uncovered my table saw and pulled open a drawer on my rolling tool chest- everything had a nice coat of rust on it. I've gone to using electric on milder days and coating my tools with WD 40 in the fall just in case I do have to use my propane heater. If anybody has any better ideas I'd appreciate hearing them. Also, if you do go with propane you're going to want to open a door or window occasionally. I've gotten pretty light-headed at times when I've forgotten to do this.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Anybody used a shop radiant heater? I've read that their more efficient because they actually heat surfaces rather than heating the air. I think most are electric but I'm not sure...

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Anybody used a shop radiant heater? I've read that their more efficient because they actually heat surfaces rather than heating the air. I think most are electric but I'm not sure...

That is one of the electrics I now use most of the time. The one I have is undersized for my garage when the temp dips below 50 though. I would definitely consider a larger one in the furure.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I did some looking at McMaster.com and saw that they have larger, portable, LP-fueled radiant heaters as well that went up to 35,000 BTU/hr on a 20lb propane tank or 125,000 BTU/hr on a 100lb tank. The also have a portable natural gas version that runs up to 212,000 BTU/hr.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
I just picked up a multi fuel torpedo heater. Its called a Kerosene heater but it can run on diesel fuel. Diesel is cheaper and much more accessible than Kerosene. I was a little worried about the fumes from diesel fuel but I have been really happy with it. It was on sale at Northern Tool...220,000 btu so it would heat up a workshop very quickly. 14 gallon fuel tank so it will run for quite a while. I use propane heaters all the time (temporary heat new houses that we build) but you have to have such a long hose in order to leave the propane tanks outside. Thought we would try to torpedo style so they can be moved around inside the house. Will probably go buy a couple more before the sale ends.

What was the reasoning behind this? Just curious as I am really in the market for getting something to head the garage as well.