Positive from Texas Game

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Last night I thought the offense did a MUCH better job handling blitzes and heavy pass rushes. The past few years we just never had an answer for teams sending 5+ on passing downs, and tonight we finally got some quick slants and leaking RBs involved. We even ran a TE middle screen. When there are more rushers than blockers, you HAVE to have a) recognition and b) reaction. QBs looking for quick routes. WRs winning at the LOS. Last night for the first time in many seasons I saw both.

I don't know if it resulted in Texas blitzing less later in the game, but it was nice to see that progress. Guys are really learning. It's too late in the year to take much advantage of it this year, but next year with so many returning this could be a really special team both defensively and offensively.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Last night I thought the offense did a MUCH better job handling blitzes and heavy pass rushes. The past few years we just never had an answer for teams sending 5+ on passing downs, and tonight we finally got some quick slants and leaking RBs involved. We even ran a TE middle screen. When there are more rushers than blockers, you HAVE to have a) recognition and b) reaction. QBs looking for quick routes. WRs winning at the LOS. Last night for the first time in many seasons I saw both.

I don't know if it resulted in Texas blitzing less later in the game, but it was nice to see that progress. Guys are really learning. It's too late in the year to take much advantage of it this year, but next year with so many returning this could be a really special team both defensively and offensively.
Yeah but absolutely no wholes to run through!

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
A lot of what the OP is saying is due to the abilities of Rocco. For a R/S Freshman starting his 11th game, he really has a lot of poise. Yes, we responded to their pass rush with quick slants and such, but that requires your QB to remain calm, react quickly and throw accurately. Rocco does those things. I am super impressed with his talent. On that screen to Brahmer, there was so much congestion at the line I couldn't even see what he was throwing at. Then out of nowhere, Brahmer has it and takes off. Just really impressive!!!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
A lot of what the OP is saying is due to the abilities of Rocco. For a R/S Freshman starting his 11th game, he really has a lot of poise. Yes, we responded to their pass rush with quick slants and such, but that requires your QB to remain calm, react quickly and throw accurately. Rocco does those things. I am super impressed with his talent. On that screen to Brahmer, there was so much congestion at the line I couldn't even see what he was throwing at. Then out of nowhere, Brahmer has it and takes off. Just really impressive!!!
That replay was wild. I have no clue how that pass got through.

The TE screen is a nice development. We've used it 3 times in 2 weeks. K State will be ready for it. Do we have a counter?

It was unfortunate that Rocco threw that pick. We came out looking to get the ball downfield on 1st down. He got perfect protection because Texas didn't have their ears pinned back. When he has time, he usually finds an open target. But he threw late to the short side of the field.

Rocco and Scheelhaase's creativity are huge bright spots. We will have an identity to start next season and should be able to come out firing in September. Right, Campbell? Right?!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yeah but absolutely no wholes to run through!
That's what I'm saying though - the Campbell era (and surely longer than that) has struggled to make teams pay for putting 5+ on the LOS and screaming up field. That makes it pretty much impossible to run. And when WR can't get open and QBs can't find/hit them anyway, you basically have no offense. I never understood why people didn't pressure us more often. It must be because some DCs just don't like to do that. But it has been a recipe for disaster for us for years. Until last night, when we were finally able to make positive plays against repeated pressure.

Against less talented teams, that should result in less pressure later in the game and bigger gaps for our running game. But we just couldn't run against even their base defense. Texas was the best team we've played all year. The OU score was worse, but I think we got shell-shocked by 4 bad minutes right before half; I don't think OU is as good as Texas right now.

It's another step in the right direction for a young team in a developmental program. Get another year of S&C and Clanton's coaching for the OL, and I think our run game will be much better next year. Add in that pressure will be less effective, and the future is looking bright.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu and NENick

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Taxas will now get "horns down" in the SEC.
1700473847618.png

Attachments

• 1700473734034.png
    1700473734034.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 1

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
We kept it close and had chances to beat a legitimate top ten Texas (this isnt the same Texas of the past few years) which makes me feel good for the team going forward in the Big 12 if we can keep good players in house.