Post Farmageddon: Sunday Thoughts of Game

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
This is unequivocally Matt Campbell's best coaching season. Lose 5 starters in August, lose a QB in the offseason, hire a bunch of new coaches on offense (coming off a bad bowl-less year), and we circle the freaking wagons to 7-5. I'll say Fiesta Bowl win year was the most successful year, but this to me is the best coaching job of CMC's tenure. Off to the game thoughts:

Offense
  • It is one game, but Abu Sama is a unique RB. He does not have Breece like size but he has Breece like speed (which is not something most college players possess). I love his shifty moves, and his timing of waiting for blocks and knowing when to bolt has gotten way better. Unbelievable to see.
  • OL: how can you not love this group this year? Clanton has been a home run hire. On a lot of the runs both the tackles, Bonifas, TE's and multiple OL kicked the ass of the opposing Kstate defender. That's coaching.
  • Offensive Scheme - one of the things I love about watching Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers is I never feel like I know what's coming plays-wise. It is a unique balance of pass and run, and keeps the defense guessing. I see a lot of parallels to Nate S. with that, he just has the right "feel" to calling plays. Also, for any transfers or HS recruits how can you not love this offense? There are long runs, intermediate pass plays, deep bombs (like to Higgins last night). It's wonderfully balanced.
  • Jaylin Noel to me gets the award for Most Improved Cyclone. He's starting to evolve into an NFL guy.
  • Most underrated offensive player to me goes to Tyler Miller or Stevo Klotz. They made big lanes in the running game last half of the season
  • Rocco has been lights out second half of the year and could be all big 12 next year
Defense
  • Tyler Oneydim to me is the defense's MVP this year in regular season. Yes Tampa was also awesome. But all the stuff with the 3 man front: run D, eating up two OL, playing stiff against the run and pass this guy was just a rock this year. Not a ton of sacks but a dirty work guy who's just so good. If we pony up dollars to keep existing guys this guy has to be near the top of my list.
  • Will Mclaughlin had a nice tackle for loss and continues to get better, hope he didn't get too injured.
  • Drew Surges: he was second on the team in tackles last night. He got beat on a pass play and had a horrible PI called on him, but I was encouraged by what he did. He passes the eye test and is physical, he completely blew up a kstate RB on the sideline.
  • My #1 portal want is a defensive end who can sack the QB. We missed that this year in a big way (even though the defense was strong in most all games). Maybe we need to move Zach Lovett to DE as he seems like a little big for LB, but at 250 can maybe be our speed DE. Defense was phenomenal almost the whole regular season (minus OU)
What. A. Season. So pumped for a bowl game!

Last edited:

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I was pretty much done with the Jaylin Noel experience after September but hats off to him and he was probably our offensive MVP outside of Rocco in conference play.

Credit to Jaylin, he has been fantastic and the playmaker that was much needed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was pretty much done with the Jaylin Noel experience after September but hats off to him and he was probably our offensive MVP outside of Rocco in conference play.

Credit to Jaylin, he has been fantastic and the playmaker that was much needed.

He was pure joy in his post game interview on radio. So happy and said he hopes he gets more snow games.

83cy

May 14, 2006
This is unequivocally Matt Campbell's best coaching season. Lose 5 starters in August, lose a QB in the offseason, hire a bunch of new coaches on offense (coming off a bad bowl-less year), and we circle the freaking wagons to 7-5. I'll say Fiesta Bowl win year was the most successful year, but this to me is the best coaching job of CMC's tenure. Off to the game thoughts:

Offense
  • It is one game, but Abu Sama is a unique RB. He does not have Breece like size but he has Breece like speed (which is not something most college players possess). I love his shifty moves, and his timing of waiting for blocks and knowing when to bolt has gotten way better. Unbelievable to see.
  • OL: how can you not love this group this year? Clanton has been a home run hire. On a lot of the runs both the tackles, Bonifas, TE's and multiple OL kicked the ass of the opposing Kstate defender. That's coaching.
  • Offensive Scheme - one of the things I love about watching Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers is I never feel like I know what's coming plays-wise. It is a unique balance of pass and run, and keeps the defense guessing. I see a lot of parallels to Nate S. with that, he just has the right "feel" to calling plays. Also, for any transfers or HS recruits how can you not love this offense? There are long runs, intermediate pass plays, deep bombs (like to Higgins last night). It's wonderfully balanced.
  • Jaylin Noel to me gets the award for Most Improved Cyclone. He's starting to evolve into an NFL guy.
  • Most underrated offensive player to me goes to Tyler Miller or Stevo Klotz. They made big lanes in the running game last half of the season
  • Rocco has been lights out second half of the year and could be all big 12 next year
Defense
  • Tyler Oneydim to me is the defense's MVP this year in regular season. Yes Tampa was also awesome. But all the stuff with the 3 man front: run D, eating up two OL, playing stiff against the run and pass this guy was just a rock this year. Not a ton of sacks but a dirty work guy who's just so good. If we pony up dollars to keep existing guys this guy has to be near the top of my list.
  • Will Mclaughlin had a nice tackle for loss and continues to get better, hope he didn't get too injured.
  • Drew Surges: he was second on the team in tackles last night. He got beat on a pass play and had a horrible PI called on him, but I was encouraged by what he did. He passes the eye test and is physical, he completely blew up a kstate RB on the sideline.
  • My #1 portal want is a defensive end who can sack the QB. We missed that this year in a big way (even though the defense was strong in most all games). Maybe we need to move Zach Lovett to DE as he seems like a little big for LB, but at 250 can maybe be our speed DE. Defense was phenomenal almost the whole regular season (minus OU)
What. A. Season. So pumped for a bowl game!
Good write up, agree with everything. Every team wants a DE who can sack the QB. Good luck with that.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The good:
Abu Sama looks like the next Campbell NFL RB
Rocco played well in his limited throws
Noel was a stud
OL played well
Purchase was good
Surges played well in a tough spot

The bad:
Tampa probably had his worst outing of the year, but I'll chalk that up to the conditions
Does our LS have the yips? Several high snaps on extra points. Could be the conditions as well, but he also had a high snap last week against Texas on the FG we missed.

• Agree
Reactions: OscarBerkshire

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Good write up, agree with everything. Every team wants a DE who can sack the QB. Good luck with that.
In other versions of the Heacock D we have had plenty of sacks.

This year we are 97th nationally in sacks. That's not good.

And I am absolutely picking nits, I am thrilled and ecstatic we won. It's just if we had to pursue one free agent this spring, this is where I would spend it. That or a OL.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

And I am absolutely picking nits, I am thrilled and ecstatic we won. It's just if we had to pursue one free agent this spring, this is where I would spend it. That or a OL.
You are not wrong, this team allows the QB to sit in the pocket and scan the field to find a receiver, its a problem and needs to be solved. Blitz if you have to, but there were times last night when the QB had 7 to 9 seconds in the pocket to find a receiver. You just cannot cover a WR that long, they are going to get open.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Campbell did an awesome job. Tough schedule. Tough circumstances. Played meaningful games in November with a realistic shot of going to Dallas for the conference championship.

We've gotten so used to these schedules that some of our fans forget we almost always play a harder schedule than most of college football. I think it's going to be great to get away from it.

Using Sagarin our AVERAGE ho-hum schedule for the past decade is #11 before this season and we're currently sitting at #7 this year. That average is higher than it sounds because no team has a top 3 or 4 average SOS, #11 is nearly as high as possible over a decade average.

To have a 7-5 record against that kind of schedule, while getting off to a poor start, it really was a successful season by any measure.

For quick comparison here are the SOS of some comparable regional programs this year:
9 KSU
23 Missouri
19 Kansas
30 OKState
39 Minnesota
43 Illinois
53 Northwestern
54 Nebraska
62 Iowa (Iowa's decade average before this year was #38 so probably something like #41 now)
64 Wisconsin

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We've gotten so used to these schedules that some of our fans forget we almost always play a harder schedule than most of college football. I think it's going to be great to get away from it.

Using Sagarin our AVERAGE ho-hum schedule for the past decade is #11 before this season and we're currently sitting at #7 this year. That average is higher than it sounds because no team has a top 3 or 4 average SOS, #11 is nearly as high as possible over a decade average.

To have a 7-5 record against that kind of schedule, while getting off to a poor start, it really was a successful season by any measure.

For quick comparison here are the SOS of some comparable regional programs this year:
9 KSU
23 Missouri
19 Kansas
30 OKState
39 Minnesota
43 Illinois
53 Northwestern
54 Nebraska
62 Iowa (Iowa's decade average before this year was #38 so probably something like #41 now)
64 Wisconsin

How sad is it that this season's schedule SEEMS like it was a bit easier than usual. That's the kind of murderer's row we've had to deal with for the past decade.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How sad is it that this season's schedule SEEMS like it was a bit easier than usual. That's the kind of murderer's row we've had to deal with for the past decade.

yeah, just commonplace (and understandable) for people here to mention that we had a breather of a schedule with Baylor/TCU way down and Cincy being a weaker road game than we almost ever get... yet still #7 SOS in Sagarin after end of regular season.

Hardly anybody has 5 games comparable to OU/TX/IA/KSU/OKSt as their top five. Even SEC teams don't because they only play 8 SEC games.

Next year should be actually be true easing of things but this year was same old elite Big 12 schedule +Iowa as usual. I still expect us to have a 25-45 SOS most years as long as we play 9 or 10 Big 12 and still play Iowa. This business of a top ten SOS being the norm and getting no credit for it is over thankfully.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I know Sama was the hot hand for sure but anyone know what the story was with Saunders and Norton? Not on participation report, just dinged up from the Texas game?

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Great comments about our great win. Maybe you guys could put your numbers to some of the big plays and show them to our recruits. And invite them to move to Ames.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

On the positive, 35th in created TOs.