Potential individual records next season

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I thought it would be fun to take a look at what kind of numbers our guys would have to put up to set ISU records. We have 30 regular season games and an unknown number of postseason games, so I will assume we play a total of 35, which seems fairly realistic. These are at least ballpark estimates.

Niang, points:
-Needs 490 points to join Stevens and Grayer as the only Cyclones with 2,000 career points. That's exactly 14 PPG. Barring an injury, Georges is going to get this.
-To reach Stevens at 2,190, Niang would have to average 19.4 PPG, which is unlikely but not impossible.

Monte, assists:
-Needs 355 assists to match Hornacek, who is ISU's leader in both career assists and steals. Luckily, Monte has two seasons to do it. He had 176 last season and to match Hornacek, Monte would need to average 177.5 assists per season, so he's right on track to make it close.

Monte, steals:
-Needs 101 to match Hornacek. Monte had 110 steals over his first two seasons, so he should get this record if he sticks around for his senior year.

Jameel, blocks:
-Homan is the career leader with 235 and Cato is second with 189.
-Cato has the single-season ISU record with 118.
-McKay had 59 last year (2.4 per game), so he could catch Cato for second all-time with 130 blocks next season. This is highly unlikely (3.7 per game) but still possible. The career numbers are messy for Jameel-- and Cato, for that matter-- because Jameel is only here for 1.5 seasons.

Naz, threes:
-Has 146 for his career. Sullivan has the record at 270, which is obviously out of reach.
-The single season record is held by Dedric Willoughby with 102. Naz had 77 last season. If we play 35 games, Naz would have to average nearly 3 treys per game.

There are more, but it's the offseason and I'm bored so I figured I'd take a quick look at some potential records.

Last edited:

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Good stuff! I tell ya, if Niang breaks Barry Steven's record of all-time points, then the jersey retirement banter will shift toward Niang!

I thought it would be fun to take a look at what kind of numbers our guys would have to put up to set ISU records. We have 30 regular season games and an unknown number of postseason games, so I will assume we play a total of 35, which seems fairly realistic. These are at least ballpark estimates.

Niang, points:
-Needs 490 points to join Stevens and Grayer as the only Cyclones with 2,000 career points. That's exactly 14 PPG. Barring an injury, Georges is going to get this.
-To reach Stevens at 2,190, Niang would have to average 19.4 PPG, which is unlikely but not impossible.

Monte, assists:
-Needs 355 assists to match Hornacek, who is ISU's leader in both career assists and steals. Luckily, Monte has two seasons to do it. He had 176 last season and to match Hornacek, Monte would need to average 177.5 assists per season, so he's right on track to make it close.

Monte, steals:
-Needs 101 to match Hornacek. Monte had 110 steals over his first two seasons, so he should get this record if he sticks around for his senior year.

Jameel, blocks:
-McKay had 59 last year (2.4 per game), so he could catch Cato for second all-time with 130 blocks next season. This is highly unlikely (3.7 per game) but still possible. The career numbers are messy for Jameel-- and Cato, for that matter-- because Jameel is only here for 1.5 seasons.

Naz, threes:
-Has 146 for his career. Sullivan has the record at 270, which is obviously out of reach.
-The single season record is held by Dedric Willoughby with 102. Naz had 77 last season. If we play 35 games, Naz would have to average nearly 3 treys per game.

There are more, but it's the offseason and I'm bored so I figured I'd take a quick look at some potential records.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Good stuff! I tell ya, if Niang breaks Barry Steven's record of all-time points, then the jersey retirement banter will shift toward Niang!
I'd bet the farm on Niang getting his number retired without reaching Stevens or Grayer. If he passes Hoiberg, he's a lock.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd bet the farm on Niang getting his number retired without reaching Stevens or Grayer. If he passes Hoiberg, he's a lock.

I agree, though I think he is a lock either way.

I'm curious what player holds the record for being part of the most wins? I'm guessing Georges will hold that one by a pretty good margin when he's done.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wonder if down the road they'll retire Melvin and George's jersey at the same time?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
------
EJIM
------

------
NIANG
------

Both someday. Maybe Monte if he stays his senior year, too, as the best of the Hoiberg era.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
------
EJIM
------

------
NIANG
------

Both someday. Maybe Monte if he stays his senior year, too, as the best of the Hoiberg era.
I think that if Monte stays for his senior year, he'll break Hornacek's records for both steals and assists, so you'd almost have to retire his number.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Interesting. Thanks for posting :yes:

I was surprised on the Homan/Cato blocking, but then thought about the length of careers.

cyclimate

Jul 18, 2014

Stevens doesn't hold the record. Grayer has it at 2500ish points. Georges is not making that record.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm curious what player holds the record for being part of the most wins? I'm guessing Georges will hold that one by a pretty good margin when he's done.

Ejim is #1, having played in 88 wins.

Niang is at 75, Long 66, and Morris 53.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

Niang, points:

Monte, assists:

Monte, steals:

Jameel, blocks:

Naz, threes:

This is very cool. Unfortunately, I doubt that Monte is here for two more seasons, though.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
My bad. Man, I don't know if Grayer's record will ever be broken! With kids leaving for the NBA early, that would be tough!

Stevens doesn't hold the record. Grayer has it at 2500ish points. Georges is not making that record.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
My bad. Man, I don't know if Grayer's record will ever be broken! With kids leaving for the NBA early, that would be tough!
I think it could be broken. These days, teams play about 35 games/year. 4 years of that and you've got 140 games. That's about 17 PPG.

17 PPG for a whole career is unlikely, but we had three players with over 16 PPG on our recent Sweet 16 team. It's not unheard of. Craig Brackins averaged 20.2 PPG his sophomore year. I think it's possible if we had a really, really good player on an otherwise mediocre team.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I want to see Niang reach 100 in the worst way.
I'd bet the farm on ISU getting 25 wins this year.

The awesome thing about this record is that it's going to keep getting broken. Monte and Matt are both above 50 (I think Matt is two below Monte because of his suspension last season) so they could break Niang's record if they both stick around and have a good senior campaign.