Potential Measles Exposure

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Hey I don’t like starting threads but considering Iowa is fairly religious and that over 250 universities were represented I wanted to pass along an email I just got.
***edit- sorry I’m an emergency physician which is why I was sent that. A very smart mod reminded me that I should probably include that info.

Dear Providers:

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is forwarding information from Kentucky health officials for awareness regarding a potential measles exposure during a large "spiritual revival" event held on the campus of Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky during early to mid-February. This was reportedly a spontaneous event without ticketing or registration. The event attracted attendees primarily through social media from all over the nation. Although the event was open to all, many of the attendees were families with children.

Unofficial tallies also indicated that more than 250 college and universities were represented. Please see the link below for the official press release from Kentucky.

An individual who reported attending the event on February 18, 2023 has since tested positive for measles. Measles is a highly contagious respiratory virus that is spread through the air. Early symptoms of measles are similar to other upper respiratory illnesses with symptoms including fever, cough, conjunctivitis and runny nose. With measles, a characteristic rash develops three to five days after symptoms begin. All individuals who attended the event on February 18, 2023 and are unvaccinated for measles with no previous history of a measles infection are encouraged to quarantine for 21 days

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is Kentucky. So there probably only about 50 people there. The data collectors were confused when the person said their wife, 3 kids, his cousin and her 3 kids were there. They listed 9 but in reality it was only 5

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Funny that you mention this, someone I know on Facebook has been posting about how God is doing big things with all of these revivals and blah, blah, blah.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
This is Kentucky. So there probably only about 50 people there. The data collectors were confused when the person said their wife, 3 kids, his cousin and her 3 kids were there. They listed 9 but in reality it was only 5

You joke, but I can imagine there were a large number of people there.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Funny that you mention this, someone I know on Facebook has been posting about how God is doing big things with all of these revivals and blah, blah, blah.

God ?

giphy.gif

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@FriendlySpartan if you were vaxxed when you were little for measles are you good? I know when I got old enough I got the shingles vax. I know people who have had that and it is no fun. I had all the childhood vaccines but that was a longtime ago.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Yes, thinning the herd.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
@FriendlySpartan if you were vaxxed when you were little for measles are you good? I know when I got old enough I got the shingles vax. I know people who have had that and it is no fun. I had all the childhood vaccines but that was a longtime ago.

It appears you are more than likely good according to the CDC.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Yep you should be fine. It’s mainly unvaccinated and immunocompromised people this could affect although breakout infections could happen(pretty rare). Also when I say unvaccinated I don’t just mean those who do so by choice. I also mean children under one year old since they are not eligible.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My oldest brother won a school trip and brought us all the German measles (cool kids call this rubella now?). I was only four and seemed to get the sickest or maybe I was just whiny. My siblings all had the measles but I was youngest and got the vaccine.

I assume people as old as my siblings who had measles are good as well? Fortunately I don’t think a spiritual revival in Kentucky is on any of their to do lists.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've had measles, mumps, chicken pox and shingles

Help Support Us

Become a patron