Potential Transfer??

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Good grief, I'm getting sick of parents fighting their kid's battles publicly. Also, if you're clinically depressed or suffer from mental illness, D1 or pro sports may not be a great fit for you.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Good grief, I'm getting sick of parents fighting their kid's battles publicly. Also, if you're clinically depressed or suffer from mental illness, D1 or pro sports may not be a great fit for you.

Yeah, I'm glad none of these whiny parents and players complained about Mike Rice at Rutgers publicly. He was just a decent guy trying to coach a basketball team. :jimlad:

It's funny that in the Mike Rice case that people wondered why no one stood up for themselves, but then when someone does complain publicly about a coaches behavior it's all on the players or parents.

In your opinion, what kind of activities should people with depression or any form of mental illness be restricted too?

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Mike Rice incident seems different than this. At least regarding Cougille. He seems like a whinney kid. The Rice guy was going nuts and assaulting his players. Cougill missed a meal. Cougill started crying on the bench. I mean WTF is that. Maybe he should not be playing basketball and maybe his parents should be parenting.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, I'm glad none of these whiny parents and players complained about Mike Rice at Rutgers publicly. He was just a decent guy trying to coach a basketball team. :jimlad:

It's funny that in the Mike Rice case that people wondered why no one stood up for themselves, but then when someone does complain publicly about a coaches behavior it's all on the players or parents.

In your opinion, what kind of activities should people with depression or any form of mental illness be restricted too?

They shouldn't be restricted from any activities, but if they don't take their meds and have a breakdown during a game, there needs to be consequences or at least a way to get the person away from the team so they aren't a distraction.

Also, there has to be a point at which if their production isn't worth the headaches, then they have to live with the consequences.

If you aren't physically blessed enough to play high level sports, or if you're not mentally prepared to handle the rigors, then maybe it's just not meat to be. Rather than blaming others and trying your case in the media.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Since I don't know the situation there, I won't say that the players don't have a legitimate case. However, I do take issue with Cougill's mom. This particular quote says a lot about her and doesn't do any favors for the average person to believe her:
“They banned me from the Facebook page,â€￾ she [Gina Cougill] said. “That was a distraction that (Wardle) blamed Brennan for because I posted that there was too much one-on-one going on. So instead of talking to me, he pulled my son in and writes that in our little 20 distractions, and he said most kids get to six and are released from the team.â€￾

Yo, Gina, don't use social media to criticize the coach. THAT IS a distraction & I don't blame the coach for holding your kid responsible for this idiocy. If you have an issue, organize fellow parents - in private - and then meet with the coach. Don't bring your complaints to the attention to the whole world. Start with the chain of command & then take other appropriate avenues if your initial measures have not worked.
Like I said initially, there may be a lot of awful stuff that this coach is doing and, if true, he should be punished. BUT, it sounds like Cougill's mom seriously needs to grow up!

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
well he's used up all his eligibility, so yeah.

Good recruiting find by Lickliter though.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What a momma's boy this college grad is. I bet she is conducting his job search as well.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Since I don't know the situation there, I won't say that the players don't have a legitimate case. However, I do take issue with Cougill's mom. This particular quote says a lot about her and doesn't do any favors for the average person to believe her:
“They banned me from the Facebook page,â€￾ she [Gina Cougill] said. “That was a distraction that (Wardle) blamed Brennan for because I posted that there was too much one-on-one going on. So instead of talking to me, he pulled my son in and writes that in our little 20 distractions, and he said most kids get to six and are released from the team.â€￾

Yo, Gina, don't use social media to criticize the coach. THAT IS a distraction & I don't blame the coach for holding your kid responsible for this idiocy. If you have an issue, organize fellow parents - in private - and then meet with the coach. Don't bring your complaints to the attention to the whole world. Start with the chain of command & then take other appropriate avenues if your initial measures have not worked.
Like I said initially, there may be a lot of awful stuff that this coach is doing and, if true, he should be punished. BUT, it sounds like Cougill's mom seriously needs to grow up!

I'm in the Siouxer and have dealt with Gina Cougill. Not surprised by this. The term pain in the *** comes to mind.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
His mom obviously took things to far and he should have been taking his meds. In saying that coaches need to make efforts to accommodate players with mental illness. Depression or anxiety when handled correctly should not be a major issue for a college athlete. Coaches also need to know their players. If a coach doesn't want players on his team with those issues, then he shouldn't have offered them a scholarship in the first place.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
His mom obviously took things to far and he should have been taking his meds. In saying that coaches need to make efforts to accommodate players with mental illness. Depression or anxiety when handled correctly should not be a major issue for a college athlete. Coaches also need to know their players. If a coach doesn't want players on his team with those issues, then he shouldn't have offered them a scholarship in the first place.

How do you know that Cougill was as transparent about his illness prior to signing with UWGB? Nor do we know that BC's mental condition didn't deteriorate throughout the course of the year. There's no way to know what all the facts are, because all we've heard is one side of the story told by a helicopter mom, whose big gripe was being kicked off facebook.

One thing is for certain, if every time a player with mental issues airs their grievances publicly via a social media campaign every time they aren't handled with kid gloves, kids with these issues will not be selected for scholarships in the future. Especially marginal players like Cougill.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
How do you know that Cougill was as transparent about his illness prior to signing with UWGB? Nor do we know that BC's mental condition didn't deteriorate throughout the course of the year. There's no way to know what all the facts are, because all we've heard is one side of the story told by a helicopter mom, whose big gripe was being kicked off facebook.

One thing is for certain, if every time a player with mental issues airs their grievances publicly via a social media campaign every time they aren't handled with kid gloves, kids with these issues will not be selected for scholarships in the future. Especially marginal players like Cougill.

We do not necessarily know all the facts and I will be the first to admit that. I just said this because I've been a part of teams before where a coach knew a player had a legitimate mental illness and didn't do anything to help that player. We know that his mother was overly sensitive but we do not know if his coach did everything possible to prevent this.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008

Unless you play for Fred Hoiberg. He can manage players with mental illnesses quite well.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Unless you play for Fred Hoiberg. He can manage players with mental illnesses quite well.

There's no doubt that Fred did a masterful job with RW. But I'm sure there was a fine line between how it played out and the situation blowing up in a big way. Thankfully we have Fred.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm glad my mom realizes I'm an adult and can advocate for myself.