Pre-Memorial Day Hoiberg NBA Update

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
well we are talking to different people.

As as great as you think this whole thing is, I wouldn't expect you to ***** when we start making the tournament 40% of the time like we did before hoiberg.

Where did I say this whole thing was great? I have a long long post history here, go see if I ever ***** about ISU athletics.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I would have guessed more like 8 years than 5 years, but I fully expected him to leave for the NBA. I remember at least 3-4 times he was asked about win records or long time coaches, and every time he laughed and said there was no way he wanted to do that. I certainly hoped, and still do, that he decided otherwise became our Coach K, but there was no reason to expect it.

That was my thoughts exactly except I hoped for 10, but more or less the same thing.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I should clarify; I'm trying to answer the age old question "WHAT DOES FRED OWE US"???

Simply put he owes us the NBA offers he's been able to cultivate. Yes, he brought HM back but it wouldn't have been back in an empty arena. You think Fred would disagree with me? You think he could have gone this far this fast at UNI? Maybe he could...I just don't think so.

with all due respect, and I did say "with all due respect", don't you think his time IN the NBA as both a player and front office exec. had as much to do with where he may be going as his coaching for us? From what I've read, the people who are courting him are people he knew in the NBA.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I would have guessed more like 8 years than 5 years, but I fully expected him to leave for the NBA. I remember at least 3-4 times he was asked about win records or long time coaches, and every time he laughed and said there was no way he wanted to do that. I certainly hoped, and still do, that he decided otherwise became our Coach K, but there was no reason to accept it.

I'll agree with that. 8 years would still be tough to accept if he left then instead but 5 years places it squarely in the stepping stone category.

What mainly peeves me is that he is the Mayor and being a lifer ISU Ames guy he has to know what he gave us glimpses of and that leaving is just another kick to the stones to a program that has endured far too many kicks.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
with all due respect, and I did say "with all due respect", don't you think his time IN the NBA as both a player and front office exec. had as much to do with where he may be going as his coaching for us? From what I've read, the people who are courting him are people he knew in the NBA.

Ahhh, so he could've coached college anywhere...or not at all?

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
It's unnerving how some of his biggest fans are now "losing respect" for him or feeling his legacy is "tarnished" because he's not said anything.

People here are acting like he owes it to any of us to say something.

When some of you actually get jobs, let me know how much you announce your potential departure, if in fact there even is one, to everyone around you? Would you share it with all?

IF there is no thought for him to leave, does he have to say something one way or another? I mean, for God's sake, he's still the coach.

AND, if he does leave, are you going to lose respect for him? Seriously, how many of you have left jobs for opportunities you and your family felt were better for you and not for the "company"?

IDK, I'm a bit bothered by some of you who are getting angry with him. He's the hero as long as it's going well and now you'll think less of him based on nothing more than speculation?

Very strange IMO.

I hope Fred does what he feels is best. For some reason, we were all ok with that the past 5 years.

Fred owes you nothing. Leave him alone. I love Fred.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've only discussed it with ~6 casual fans, but they've all had the same reaction: "oh really? I hadn't heard that. Good for him."

LOL, I've discussed it with numerous casual fans at work, and no one even came close to that reaction. Most of them look stunned, and then said "He wouldn't really leave, would he?"

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
What mainly peeves me is that he is the Mayor and being a lifer ISU Ames guy he has to know what he gave us glimpses of and that leaving is just another kick to the stones to a program that has endured far too many kicks.

I wrote this upthread, but I'll repeat here. I think he would think that he's leaving the program in a good spot and in good hands. Maybe I'm overestimating him, but I doubt he'd be as sure of the drop off upon his departure as some of the people here are.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

latest

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Fred has to have been presented with how his leaving will affect ISU. The nut punch from the ball boy who became our hero.

ISU has clearly offered (or will offer) a new sweeter deal that would keep Fred at ISU for a while.

Our President knows the value of this Hoiberg led bball program and has pulled out all the stops. He clearly like his chances of Fred taking the new deal.

If he leaves he is losing more than we are.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I think there are too many on the board who can't separate the feelings of being a fan to being a person.

As a fan I can say I feel he owes our program something and that him leaving definitely tarnishes my view of him as a Cyclone. As a fan I can't understand why he would do this.

Now if I take off my ISU blinders I see he's just an average Joe chasing a bigger paycheck like all of us do everyday.

I can shape my opinion to either mindset. I'm just a Cyclone Fan on a fan message board so I would expect it to only be of one mindset.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

This is false. Unless you believe Fred coached at ISU as a hobby...which, maybe he did...

Any coach who goes from college to the NBA owes that college a debt of gratitude. Which I'm sure Fred embraces.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
It has nothing to do with money... I am embarrassed by a good portion of our fan base with all of this. The guy isn't holding anyone hostage... he's simply making a difficult life decision, that just happens to be on a stage that is public, and he is doing it on his own timetable.

He's always wanted to coach in the pros, he has a history with the Chicago Bulls (4 years of playing while in the prime of his career), he never once promised himself to Iowa State for his life.

Here's what he has brought ISU:

Longest Mens Basketball winning streak
Longest Mens Basketball Weekly top 25 Rankings streak
2 Consecutive Big 12 Tournament Championships
4 Straight NCAA Tournaments

All things that not a single other coach in ISU history can ever say. Give the man some credit, let him make a decision to go to the NBA, or stay with ISU. HE OWES YOU NOTHING! Quit feeling so entitled. It's more like you are holding him hostage with a gun to his head saying, Stay with ISU or I'll hate you. I'd want to leave too with the way our fan base is acting about all of this.

As of right now the guy is a paid employee of Iowa State University and as such his actions do have implications for the university and the men's basketball program. Is Fred free to choose where and for whom he would like to work? Absolutely that is his choice to make. Quit thinking of this as a fan... he owes ISU fans nothing. What he does owe is Iowa State University his time, his effort, and his hard work as he is still the head coach of the men's basketball program. HE OWES THE UNIVERSITY EVERYTHING HE HAS GOT! There is no way currently to gauge the amount of harm that is being done to the program as all of the speculation and uncertainty has left the program in a very precarious position. We can all agree this current situation has not a single shred of positive impact on the program or the university. To many that is the biggest concern... sure we all love Fred but we love Iowa State University and the men's basketball program more. Nobody wants to see this situation harm the program but we all know that it is and I don't blame a single person for being unhappy with Fred Hoiberg because of that. Remember... this is all Fred's doing.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
For those wishing for Fred to say something, what the hell do you think he is going to say? There is nothing he can say short of "I signed a lifetime extension, with a $5,000,000 NBA buyout" that would please those that are saying they are losing respect and the like. He owes us nothing.

If I was a big donor and could call JP, I would say, you have my money if you can get Fred to stay long term, Big NBA buyout and pay him the moon. He means that much to ISU, ISU has to put that on the table. It is Fred's choice if he signs it or not. But it will let the big boosters know if he is in it long term or not. And if he doesn't sign it this year, but decides to stay, I would do the same thing next year. All ISU can do is make him feel like he is appreciated, and the only way they can do that is keep offering the godfather offer. Until he signs, everyone involved will know he may be gone and can plan accordingly.

That is my dream for dreamy.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
its a tough situation. the Mayor clearly wants to be in the NBA but the NBA is big business and doesn't care about Iowa State, our recruits perception, donors, us fans, etc. Fred is talked about as the lead candidate for two jobs that aren't currently open and one of the jobs apparently he is friends with...JP is in a situation that he doesn't control and the buzz and leaks are bigger than the known facts. Fred has two choices - lie about his intentions and then leave when he is offered the job he wants (Chizik) or say nothing as he has been. Many will be unhappy with both scenarios. Only thing Fred can do is tell the Bulls to get their act together or he is out (Unlikely if he wants the job) or give up on the NBA to make Cyclone fans happy (Unlikely since he seems to want to be in the NBA). Only thing JP can do is see if he can come up with more money yet again (sounds like he is trying) so in the end he can say Fred left but it wasn't about money - his dream was the NBA and then use that support to get a kick butt next coach. I think that is what we need to focus on - Iowa State is closer to be a top 10 program than ever and how do we get a top 10-15 coach in here to keep going? Think about it this way - Johnny was asked to leave to give Floyd one year with a decent team to set up his subsequent teams. Since Fred seems to want to go - I would ask him to leave now and set up the post Fred teams. And if not - then sign a contract that has a huge penalty. Crazy maybe - but lets move on. He is a proven locker room guy that takes guys and puts them together and makes a team - give me an x and o's coach for a year and lets go get a National Championship!