Premier League Thread

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I maybe just heard my favorite bit of soccer commentary of the year. Just before half of the Wigan-Liverpool match the play-by-play guy whipped out, "Goodness me, Wigan, you're a mess!" as Liverpool was pinging the ball around the box with a series of short passes.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I maybe just heard my favorite bit of soccer commentary of the year. Just before half of the Wigan-Liverpool match the play-by-play guy whipped out, "Goodness me, Wigan, you're a mess!" as Liverpool was pinging the ball around the box with a series of short passes.
At 4-0 I think he's probably right. Super nervous for tomorrow's NLD, I feel like Bale is just playing at another level right now and Arsenal's defense is already suspect enough. The race for the third and fourth spots is insanely close though and I think Aresenal's schedule should be pretty favorable after this week.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The Bale train just keeps chugging along. I'm not quite sure why Arsenal thought playing a high line against Spurs was the way to go. You're just inviting guys like Bale and Lennon to get played through into all of that empty space.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Rough day, our defense lets us down yet again. My Podolski jersey is apparently not as lucky as I had hoped.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
I may be disappointed in Kroenke, but I do not want Arsenal to be taken over by foreign consortiums like that.

Why not? Kroenke is a foreign owner too, but he's a businessman who just wants to make money. The only difference is that Arsene would finally have the money to spend that he has always wanted. (Bidders already said they would keep Wenger)

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Why not? Kroenke is a foreign owner too, but he's a businessman who just wants to make money. The only difference is that Arsene would finally have the money to spend that he has always wanted. (Bidders already said they would keep Wenger)

So have you ever criticized Man City for their tactics in how they garnered their success? Or Roman at Chelsea?

Willing to bet you have, because many Gunner fans have. It'd be the pot calling the kettle black. Plus the spending you want may not even be feasible with the new fair plays rules/monetary limitations if they are enacted.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If only Arsenal didn't get hammered at home in the first leg we would have had a chance, still impressive to get a 2-0 win at Bayern though.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
If only Arsenal didn't get hammered at home in the first leg we would have had a chance, still impressive to get a 2-0 win at Bayern though.

'Bout time another English team did. Norwich were the last ones to do it back in '94. OTBC!

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Thoughts on the PL right now?

Pochettino has Southampton playing some attractive stuff.

Can Tottenham hold onto a top 4 spot? Their schedule gets pretty stiff here at the end of the season. And it looks like Bale rolled an ankle in their Europa League match against Basel today.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Did anyone see that heart breaker for QPR yesterday? Relegation makes bad game so fun to watch. That game was pretty boring until the last 10 minutes. The red card was just, but QPR did what they needed to to over come it, then just got completely out of sorts. Felt bad for them and their fans.

Also Tottenham didn't deserve the result they got yesterday.

Currently watching a very inspired City take on United.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I just turned on the game in the 91st minute, and I've seen more yellow cards in the last three minutes than I've seen in all the games I've watched this spring so far.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I just turned on the game in the 91st minute, and I've seen more yellow cards in the last three minutes than I've seen in all the games I've watched this spring so far.

Yeah that last 3 mintues was might as well have been painted yellow. Man U almost stole a point on that final corner too. Good game, the right team won.