Preseason NIT

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like we’ll need to make a big step up from ‘20 just to be competitive right out of the blocks.

Or did some of those other traditionally good schools have a down year last season as well?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like we’ll need to make a big step up from ‘20 just to be competitive right out of the blocks.

Or did some of those other traditionally good schools have a down year last season as well?

My general impression without looking is that Xavier and Memphis were down a little last year, and Va Tech about average.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
My general impression without looking is that Xavier and Memphis were down a little last year, and Va Tech about average.
Thanks. Over the last decade or so, my perspective has narrowed from a broad spectrum across various sports to a focus on my favorite teams. I’m reasonably clueless when it’s not the Cyclones, or Vikings or Cardinals in the NFL and MLB. Didn’t used to be that way.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thanks. Over the last decade or so, my perspective has narrowed from a broad spectrum across various sports to a focus on my favorite teams. I’m reasonably clueless when it’s not the Cyclones, or Vikings or Cardinals in the NFL and MLB. Didn’t used to be that way.

Just looked out of curiosity.

Memphis 20-8 NIT champs
Xavier 13-8
VA Tech 15-7 lost 1st round, NCAA

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Just looked out of curiosity.

Memphis 20-8 NIT champs
Xavier 13-8
VA Tech 15-7 lost 1st round, NCAA

FWIW. Recent way-too-early projections from ESPN & CBS Sports have VT ranked (ESPN 13th; CBS, No. 26 in Top-25-and-1). Last month B-R did a consensus ranking of major outlets and Memphis was 27, VT 28.

A good guess is ISU gets Memphis and VT vs. XU in semi round matchups.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

It will be a tough challenge right off the bat. Xavier finished mid-Big East but had some nice wins, and much of their team I think is back. Memphis was 20-8 last year, winning their last 4 games (some tournament?, maybe NIT?), after losing to Houston 74-76 in AAC Tourn. final; they will be very good I think.

Va Tech was 3rd in ACC at 9-4, and was 15-7 overall and rated #25 at end of season in AP poll. So very good team there also.

• Informative

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Going 1-1 there would be pretty big, it's not murders row but that's a solid group of teams.
Yes, if we could manage one win out of that group of 3 teams, that would be huge. It would immediately mean we are trending in a very good direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went 0-2 against this group though. It's going to take time for our team to come together.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Going 1-1 there would be pretty big, it's not murders row but that's a solid group of teams.

I figure since there are so many new gears to oil with the new coach & roster, early season will have a lot of learning curve, so I'm not having an expectation of winning either game there ... so like you say, I'd consider 1-1 respectable.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Early season anything can happen. Don’t think these other teams are so good to be hitting on all cylinders right out of the gates.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Luckily, on the interwebs no on is responsible for any prediction they ever make, so i'm gonna go against the grain here.
I'm thinking TJ's new outfit will be way better than anyone expected early in the season. Thus raising unreasonable expectations ever higher than warranted, culminating in some slight degree of disappointment toward the season's end.
Don't quote me, and don't repost this at season's end. Unless I turn our right, of course.

• Haha
Reactions: BenEClone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Luckily, on the interwebs no on is responsible for any prediction they ever make, so i'm gonna go against the grain here.
I'm thinking TJ's new outfit will be way better than anyone expected early in the season. Thus raising unreasonable expectations ever higher than warranted, culminating in some slight degree of disappointment toward the season's end.
Don't quote me, and don't repost this at season's end. Unless I turn our right, of course.

My hunch is somewhat the opposite -- rough early, a little more cohesive as season progresses. That might not be reflected directly in the W-L, having consistently higher level of competition in conference compared to a lot of the non-league.

But don't quote me :)

Reactions: BenEClone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

My hunch is somewhat the opposite -- rough early, a little more cohesive as season progresses. That might not be reflected directly in the W-L, having consistently higher level of competition in conference compared to a lot of the non-league.

But don't quote me :)

I agree with one of you.

Feel free to quote me.