Preseason USA Today Coaches Poll Released

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Not sure if conicidence or not but all P5 conferences were represented about evenly. Well, percentagewise, B12 has the most teams named I guess. BIG has 4 teams, B12 has 5, P12 has 4, ACC has 5 and SEC has 6. BIG is really top-heavy if this poll is any indication, with 4 really good teams and then 10 others not even ranked. B12 again appears to be a gauntlet having to play every team and so our SOS will once again be high up there one would think. Would have been nice if, like K State or Baylor, we could have had a period of scheduling all creampuffs to get some wins while we built up the talent level and facilities. But such was not our fate I guess. In a way, that makes it all the more impressive if CMC and staff are actually able to make ISU a winning program. Time will tell.

Reactions: khardbored

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I'm hoping Lazard has a career day in the CyHawk game - like ten catches, 180 yards, and 2-3 TDs. Four new starters in the secondary, right?

No.

Rugamba started last season after Mabin went down and Miles Taylor at SS has started for the past couple of seasons.

Brandon Snyder is shooting to be back by the PSU game in late September after tearing his ACL in spring ball.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm hoping Lazard has a career day in the CyHawk game - like ten catches, 180 yards, and 2-3 TDs. Four new starters in the secondary, right?

Taylor at SS is a returning starter but that doesn't mean he's that good. I've never been a big fan. Bites on the play action way too much. Jackson and Rugamba are talented but still pretty unproven. Rugamba started some last year due to injuries, had a great game vs. Michigan. Gervase at FS is new. So yes, very green.

• Informative
Reactions: Brandon

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/ballots/

MATT CAMPBELL'S RANKINGS

RANK TEAM
ALA.png
Alabama
Crimson Tide
OSU.png
Ohio State
Buckeyes
CLEM.png
Clemson
Tigers
WASH.png
Washington
Huskies
MICH.png
Michigan
Wolverines
PSU.png
Penn State
Nittany Lions
OU.png
Oklahoma
Sooners
USC.png
Southern California
Trojans
WIS.png
Wisconsin
Badgers
COLO.png
Colorado
Buffaloes
FSU.png
Florida State
Seminoles
WVU.png
West Virginia
Mountaineers
OKST.png
Oklahoma State
Cowboys
FLA.png
Florida
Gators
STAN.png
Stanford
Cardinal
VT.png
Virginia Tech
Hokies
WMU.png
Western Michigan
Broncos
AUB.png
Auburn
Tigers
LOU.png
Louisville
Cardinals
USF.png
South Florida
Bulls
21 Louisiana State
Tigers
22 Washington State
Cougars
23 Pittsburgh
Panthers
24 Temple
Owls
25 San Diego State

Reactions: 3GenClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wouldnt the other 6 losses impact Iowa's bowl chances equally?
Listen to the player quotes in that 2002 game highlight video I posted above. Twice they talk about Iowa players saying that there is no worse feeling in the world for an Iowa player than losing to ISU.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

MATT CAMPBELL'S RANKINGS

RANK TEAM
ALA.png
Alabama
Crimson Tide
OSU.png
Ohio State
Buckeyes
CLEM.png
Clemson
Tigers
WASH.png
Washington
Huskies
MICH.png
Michigan
Wolverines
PSU.png
Penn State
Nittany Lions
OU.png
Oklahoma
Sooners
USC.png
Southern California
Trojans
WIS.png
Wisconsin
Badgers
COLO.png
Colorado
Buffaloes
FSU.png
Florida State
Seminoles
WVU.png
West Virginia
Mountaineers
OKST.png
Oklahoma State
Cowboys
FLA.png
Florida
Gators
STAN.png
Stanford
Cardinal
VT.png
Virginia Tech
Hokies
WMU.png
Western Michigan
Broncos
AUB.png
Auburn
Tigers
LOU.png
Louisville
Cardinals
USF.png
South Florida
Bulls
21 Louisiana State
Tigers
22 Washington State
Cougars
23 Pittsburgh
Panthers
24 Temple
Owls
25 San Diego State
Wow, no Big 12 homerism here. Only voted for 3 conference teams in the top 25.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012

Yeah it was interesting to look at some of the coaches. James Franklin with Penn St for example ranked his guys ahead of Ohio State. HAHA

And Jimbo Fisher ranked his guys 9th.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah it was interesting to look at some of the coaches. James Franklin with Penn St for example ranked his guys ahead of Ohio State. HAHA

And Jimbo Fisher ranked his guys 9th.

Don't the SIDs usually fill these out?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

MATT CAMPBELL'S RANKINGS

RANK TEAM
ALA.png
Alabama
Crimson Tide
OSU.png
Ohio State
Buckeyes
CLEM.png
Clemson
Tigers
WASH.png
Washington
Huskies
MICH.png
Michigan
Wolverines
PSU.png
Penn State
Nittany Lions
OU.png
Oklahoma
Sooners
USC.png
Southern California
Trojans
WIS.png
Wisconsin
Badgers
COLO.png
Colorado
Buffaloes
FSU.png
Florida State
Seminoles
WVU.png
West Virginia
Mountaineers
OKST.png
Oklahoma State
Cowboys
FLA.png
Florida
Gators
STAN.png
Stanford
Cardinal
VT.png
Virginia Tech
Hokies
WMU.png
Western Michigan
Broncos
AUB.png
Auburn
Tigers
LOU.png
Louisville
Cardinals
USF.png
South Florida
Bulls
21 Louisiana State
Tigers
22 Washington State
Cougars
23 Pittsburgh
Panthers
24 Temple
Owls
25 San Diego State
Campbell stays faithful to his G5 roots.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

Yea, Surly is poking pins in his CMC voodoo doll as we speak.

Coach has CU in top ten and they did not make overall top 25. No surprise he gave a little love to the best team in the MAC.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Not sure if conicidence or not but all P5 conferences were represented about evenly. Well, percentagewise, B12 has the most teams named I guess. BIG has 4 teams, B12 has 5, P12 has 4, ACC has 5 and SEC has 6. BIG is really top-heavy if this poll is any indication, with 4 really good teams and then 10 others not even ranked. B12 again appears to be a gauntlet having to play every team and so our SOS will once again be high up there one would think. Would have been nice if, like K State or Baylor, we could have had a period of scheduling all creampuffs to get some wins while we built up the talent level and facilities. But such was not our fate I guess. In a way, that makes it all the more impressive if CMC and staff are actually able to make ISU a winning program. Time will tell.

Most P5 conferences are relatively even. Just five years ago, the Big 10 was the laughingstock. Now it's considered on of the top 2 (whole other argument). The 14-team conferences will continue to benefit from inflated records. It basically forces the Big 12 to have amazing nonconference performances if they want to get in the playoff. No room for error or performances like OU had last season against OSU. That hasn't been the case lately.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Taylor at SS is a returning starter but that doesn't mean he's that good. I've never been a big fan. Bites on the play action way too much. Jackson and Rugamba are talented but still pretty unproven. Rugamba started some last year due to injuries, had a great game vs. Michigan. Gervase at FS is new. So yes, very green.

Kudos for the unbiased perspective. I definitely think there is some concern regarding Iowa secondary. With that being said, Iowa always seems to develop their corners and safeties, so there will probably be a couple of bright spots out there.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Listen to the player quotes in that 2002 game highlight video I posted above. Twice they talk about Iowa players saying that there is no worse feeling in the world for an Iowa player than losing to ISU.

That has nothing to do with my post.

Losing to ISU has just as big of impact on Iowa's bowl chances as any other loss.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ideal scenario: lose to ISU and only win 5 games for the year. Knowing that the ISU loss kept them from a bowl game would be delicious.

Wouldnt the other 6 losses impact Iowa's bowl chances equally?
Based on the post you quoted, you imply that the loss to ISU keeping them out of a bowl game wouldn't be any different than any of the other losses. I was providing you information as to why that loss might just sting a little more to the Hawkeyes.

Take it or leave it.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Four Big 10 teams in the Top 10. The bad news for the Hawkeyes is they actually have to PLAY three of them this year.

Other bad news is that the coaches must not realize a "top 15 program" is missing from the top 50 teams.