Preventative Health Science in DSM...

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone take part in the Lifestyle/Weight Loss program? Any idea on the cost? PHS is on Deace's show quite a bit.

Overall thoughts?

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
I am about 1/2 way through. Their whole thing is converting you to eating all whole foods, organic foods, etc. Plus it takes a lot of time, monthly 30 minute sessions with the nutritionist, then in between coming in to see the Physicians Assistant for intensive blood work analysis, plus making time to go to the store walk thru and cooking class.

It can get expensive... with co-pays and for the supplements they want you to take - unless you don't need any, but I think they'll at least highly recommend a few.

I would say that it really hasn't worked for me, however, I have to admit I haven't stuck to everything like you need to... like getting to the gym often enough.

However, I paid for it, so kicking back into high gear. Might as well get as much benefit as I can.

Probably worth at least going in and listening to their pitch... and the options they offer. Not sure if prices have changed since I started, but it is expensive, or so I think.

Very nice people to work with though - for what that's worth.

My Two Cents.

PS - Not sure if you are much of a chef or not, but following their suggested diet and food prep requires time and some cooking acumen.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The blood work alone would kill me. Would be nice for someone to push me to eat right and exercise more though.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I am about 1/2 way through. Their whole thing is converting you to eating all whole foods, organic foods, etc. Plus it takes a lot of time, monthly 30 minute sessions with the nutritionist, then in between coming in to see the Physicians Assistant for intensive blood work analysis, plus making time to go to the store walk thru and cooking class.

It can get expensive... with co-pays and for the supplements they want you to take - unless you don't need any, but I think they'll at least highly recommend a few.

I would say that it really hasn't worked for me, however, I have to admit I haven't stuck to everything like you need to... like getting to the gym often enough.

However, I paid for it, so kicking back into high gear. Might as well get as much benefit as I can.

Probably worth at least going in and listening to their pitch... and the options they offer. Not sure if prices have changed since I started, but it is expensive, or so I think.

Very nice people to work with though - for what that's worth.

My Two Cents.

PS - Not sure if you are much of a chef or not, but following their suggested diet and food prep requires time and some cooking acumen.

Does insurance help pay for it? I was under the impression that the Lifestyle program was all out of pocket.

Was it a one time fee? Care to ball park what it cost?

Thanks for the feedback

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
There are a lot of different options for payment and plans. They are really a nice group of people, and my wife goes there as a patient. You don't have to participate in the weight loss plan to use their doctors, who are really good. They are focused on less prescription medication and more actual thought on what is wrong and prevention.

My wife and I decided not to do the weight loss plan, because it is a lot of the things we already do, just not as disciplined as we need to be and without the supplements. It is without a question teaching a lifestyle change forever and not a short term program. They offer short term programs through them, but even those programs focus on changing your whole way of life for the better.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
Insurance does pay for much of the bloodwork, of course, depending upon what insurance you have, but they are setup to be a "qualified" provider so insurance should cover the bloodwork and the visit with the PA.

My program costs $3600 out of pocket and there were some cheaper options and more expensive options. You can do like a 3 month program and may be a 6 month. I don't recall all the options.

With the $3600 you get a 12 month membership to SnapFitness and 12 sessions with a trainer.