Pro Sports teams that might consider moving

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
They are planning on building a NFL stadium in the Valley near LA in the Diamond Bar region. I read an article stating that they will get 1 team for sure but wouldn't rule out getting a second team as well. I would think they would go hard for the Vikings. Just a hunch. Which would really suck. I am not a Viking fan but the GB, Minn & Chicago rivalries are great for the NFL!

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
the flyover video is pretty sweet. looks like a cool development

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Vikes already turned down LA.

That's quite the relief.

As far as I'm concerned, when a city/TV market loses two teams in one year, they really don't NEED another. And the NFL's done quite well for themselves the last 12-14 years (forget exactly which year they moved) that they haven't had a team in LA.

That being said, if the NFL decides to put a team in LA...

1. Chargers
2. Cardinals
3. Rams
4. Raiders
5. Jaguars
6. Saints
7. Vikings (there's always that chance)

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Vikes already turned down LA.

That might be initially...but until the Vikings get a new stadium guarantee from the state...they will get the hard sell! And they just might get that offer they can't refuse! This Roski guy will get a team...and there are only so many possibilities.

I hate when franchises move...but at the same time I hate when leagues keep expanding and it waters the talent level of the league down. I guess I can't have it both ways though...

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

1. Chargers
2. Cardinals
3. Rams
4. Raiders
5. Jaguars
6. Saints

I really could see the Chargers moving to LA. Haven't they trained their lately anyway? I think this guy in charge of the building of the stadium wants to buy the 1st NFL that occupies the stadium. I think that would eliminate the Raiders for sure...and probably the Saints. The Cardinals I would assume have a long term lease at their new stadium? The Rams would be kind of cool due to the history...and I could see the Jaguars going for the top dollar offer as well.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Living in STL, I would say the Rams should be near the top of any list of teams possibly moving. They have a clause in their lease that the city must keep the Dome in the top 10 stadiums of the NFL. Trust me, it is no where near top 10 - more like bottom 10.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I really see Jacksonville being the most likely. They seem to have a lot to gaiin.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I couldn't tell you too much about the other sports, but there are always rumors in the NHL about Kansas City and Kitchener-Waterloo/Hamilton and to a lesser extent Seattle and Las Vegas.

Kansas City basically built the Sprint Center to house the Penguins, but deals fell through and the Pens started playing well after stockpiling draft talent for years. However, the preseason game played there had apparently less than stellar turnout.

Kitchener-Waterloo or Hamilton is the other likely choice, but has the distinction of being in the backyard of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Some say that this will make it a hard sell, or that Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment might try to shut down any deal, but others say that the hockey mad area could easily support another pro team. Last season (maybe two years ago) before the deal fell through, Jim Basille planned to move the Nashville Predators to Hamilton. They had 15,000 seat deposits and sold all 80 suites and the team didn't even exist - and still doesn't.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
That's quite the relief.

As far as I'm concerned, when a city/TV market loses two teams in one year, they really don't NEED another. And the NFL's done quite well for themselves the last 12-14 years (forget exactly which year they moved) that they haven't had a team in LA.

1. Chargers
2. Cardinals
3. Rams
4. Raiders
5. Jaguars
6. Saints

I wouldn't rule the Chiefs out either. Yes, they're doing some renovations at Arrowhead, but they're nothing major and nothing that couldn't be scrapped if the Hunt family decided they could make more money by moving them someplace else. It was talked about as recently as a few years ago, and with Lamar Hunt gone now who knows? It's probably a long shot, but I'd say it's possible nonetheless.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I couldn't tell you too much about the other sports, but there are always rumors in the NHL about Kansas City and Kitchener-Waterloo/Hamilton and to a lesser extent Seattle and Las Vegas.

I would be all over an NHL Team in Kansas City.

The New Jersey Devils started out as the Kansas City Scouts, so it's not as if it's completely new territory for hockey.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Kansas City basically built the Sprint Center to house the Penguins, but deals fell through and the Pens started playing well after stockpiling draft talent for years. However, the preseason game played there had apparently less than stellar turnout.

Kitchener-Waterloo or Hamilton is the other likely choice, but has the distinction of being in the backyard of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Some say that this will make it a hard sell, or that Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment might try to shut down any deal, but others say that the hockey mad area could easily support another pro team. Last season (maybe two years ago) before the deal fell through, Jim Basille planned to move the Nashville Predators to Hamilton. They had 15,000 seat deposits and sold all 80 suites and the team didn't even exist - and still doesn't.

I remember reading about this on the Calgary Flames fansite - it's the Toronto Maple Leafs organization that is preventing any kind of move of any team to Kitchener-Waterloo/Hamilton as they view it as their "territory." Basically the same premise as why MLB had to dance on a very thin tightrope with Baltimore to get the Nationals into Washington - except that the Orioles don't hold the same kind of league distinction that the Maple Leafs hold in the NHL. If there's ever to be a team in Kitchener-Waterloo/Hamilton, either significant amounts of coin will have changed hands and/or hell will have frozen over.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The Vikings' lease runs out in the Metrodome after the 2011 season and they will not sign another. They want to build a new stadium on the same site but the big catch is the Vikings don't want to pay for a retractable roof and the state/city won't build one without the retractable roof because they want to bid on the Final 4 and Super Bowl.

If a stadium deal doesn't get done in the next year or so, (they could temporarily play in the Gophers' new stadium for a year or 2, ala the Bears) they will leave and the NFL won't stop it, because the Metrodome is inadequate in today's market.

I would hate to see them leave

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Living in STL, I would say the Rams should be near the top of any list of teams possibly moving. They have a clause in their lease that the city must keep the Dome in the top 10 stadiums of the NFL. Trust me, it is no where near top 10 - more like bottom 10.

having attended games at ed jones and soldier field within the last 2 years, i have to say the dome is no comparison. however, its not like it is falling down.. i wouldnt know if it was in the top 10 league-wise because those two and the old soldier field were the only places ive watched pro-football, not counting allstate arena (chicago rush) and memorial stadium (when soldier field was getting done and the bears were at U of illinois).