Pro Sports teams that might consider moving

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Living in STL, I would say the Rams should be near the top of any list of teams possibly moving. They have a clause in their lease that the city must keep the Dome in the top 10 stadiums of the NFL. Trust me, it is no where near top 10 - more like bottom 10.

having attended games at ed jones and soldier field within the last 2 years, i have to say the dome is no comparison. however, its not like it is falling down.. i wouldnt know if it was in the top 10 league-wise because those two and the old soldier field were the only places ive watched pro-football, not counting allstate arena (chicago rush) and memorial stadium (when soldier field was getting done and the bears were at U of illinois).

I think it's really sad that that dome is less than 10 years old (to the best of my knowledge) and it's one of the 10 worst stadiums in the league. By comparison, Georgia Dome is nearing 20 and it's still fairly adequate. Were the designers of Ed Jones THAT shortsighted in designing that stadium?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't know what untapped markets can support baseball. With the amount of games and length of the season you need a much larger base. I can see Tampa getting their new stadium soon so they will be around for a while. Kansas City might be on the right track for a Ray like resurgance after another draft or two. The Marlins desperately need a new stadium or they can't make it in South Florida.

cyclonemaniac7

Apr 11, 2006
I would be all over an NHL Team in Kansas City.

The New Jersey Devils started out as the Kansas City Scouts, so it's not as if it's completely new territory for hockey.

They've talked about it for awhile. I'm not sure an NHL team would be able to be sustained for the long-term. I think it would do well for awhile with all the excitement, but I don't think it would make a profit after 10 years or so.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't know what untapped markets can support baseball. With the amount of games and length of the season you need a much larger base. I can see Tampa getting their new stadium soon so they will be around for a while. Kansas City might be on the right track for a Ray like resurgance after another draft or two. The Marlins desperately need a new stadium or they can't make it in South Florida.

Vegas? San Antonio? I know baseball is big in Texas. I doubt the Royals leave KC, Kauffman is a nice venue from what I hear.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
They've talked about it for awhile. I'm not sure an NHL team would be able to be sustained for the long-term. I think it would do well for awhile with all the excitement, but I don't think it would make a profit after 10 years or so.

I think an NHL team in Kansas City would certainly fare better than the Scouts did in the 70s though. The Scouts came in as an expansion team, and left with the bottom of an already thin talent pool they came away with 27 wins in their two seasons of existence. The benefit of having a team move rather than be created is you already have some level of talent in the system. And while teams that are rumored to move often have mediocre to poor NHL rosters, they usually have stellar prospects due to their high draft picks over the years.

I think Kansas City is a great hockey town considering how far south it is, and the Sprint Center is easily one of the top arenas in North America. And you're right, there's no way to know if interest could be retained; however, if initial excitement could hold on long enough to be supplanted with contending teams as those prospects mature, I think they could become a permanent fixture.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Vegas? San Antonio? I know baseball is big in Texas. I doubt the Royals leave KC, Kauffman is a nice venue from what I hear.

I don't understand why Vegas is considered a good place for a team, they don't even get 2000/game for AAA games. MAYBE if they built an indoor stadium right off the strip but even then the majority of your attendance would be visiting fans making the trip.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin

chicago could use another team.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The Vikings' lease runs out in the Metrodome after the 2011 season and they will not sign another. They want to build a new stadium on the same site but the big catch is the Vikings don't want to pay for a retractable roof and the state/city won't build one without the retractable roof because they want to bid on the Final 4 and Super Bowl.

If a stadium deal doesn't get done in the next year or so, (they could temporarily play in the Gophers' new stadium for a year or 2, ala the Bears) they will leave and the NFL won't stop it, because the Metrodome is inadequate in today's market.

I would hate to see them leave

I would think that the Vikings are THE team that the LA group would chase. Maybe the other three CA teams (Chargers, 49ers, Raiders) because their stadiums are deemed to be "inadequate" by NFL standards and they just can't seem to get new ones. So...those are the four in my mind that could move to LA...LA stole the Lakers from MN...could they do it again?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

It is. And they are plugging over $250 million into renovations that will be completed by 2010.

Kauffman may be old, but if KC does one thing well it is maintain their older stadiums to the point where they don't have to build new ones every 30 years.

I guess that's what happens when you design a stadium correctly from the beginning and don't defer maintenance and go ahead and upgrade when necessary. Unfortunately for KC, too bad their investments don't show up on the field as much as they should.