Problems with a 2015 Chevy Suburban

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Sorry to post this on here but today I had yet another thing we had to fix on our suburban that FYI cost $70k when we bought it . It has 97,000 miles on it and in the last few years and of course it started almost as the warranty expired on it . So far we have replaced the antenna which (cost $450), the evap twice ($500), front shocks ($2,200) , a/c pump ($750) , fixed trim around windows ($250) , and now the condenser that’s under the dash that is going to cost us $1,800. So that’s a total of so that’s nearly $6,000 we’ve spent over your general maintenance on the car . So I called GM to see how they felt about such a high dollar car having major issues and major quality issues and I’ve owned 10 total GM vehicles in my life and they pretty much said tough crap sorry but not sorry. So I asked the person so you don’t care if I go trade my 2018 Chevy crew cab truck and our 2015 Chevy suburban Ltz and two different people that are suppose to be customer service quality management said they pretty much care less the only way they would help me is if it was under warranty. You hear about this cancel culture and no wonder people are like that no one will stand behind what they sell. It’s either you get lucky and you have no issues or you just dismiss the people that do.
Has anyone else had these same issues with the newer suburban’s and what did you do ? From reading on the internet seems like a lot have had the same issues but I never saw anything other than most took it in the back side and paid to fix stuff.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
They are all built to wear out nowadays. If they built them to last they would never come close to the $$$ they make now.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sorry to post this on here but today I had yet another thing we had to fix on our suburban that FYI cost $70k when we bought it . It has 97,000 miles on it and in the last few years and of course it started almost as the warranty expired on it . So far we have replaced the antenna which (cost $450), the evap twice ($500), front shocks ($2,200) , a/c pump ($750) , fixed trim around windows ($250) , and now the condenser that’s under the dash that is going to cost us $1,800. So that’s a total of so that’s nearly $6,000 we’ve spent over your general maintenance on the car . So I called GM to see how they felt about such a high dollar car having major issues and major quality issues and I’ve owned 10 total GM vehicles in my life and they pretty much said tough crap sorry but not sorry. So I asked the person so you don’t care if I go trade my 2018 Chevy crew cab truck and our 2015 Chevy suburban Ltz and two different people that are suppose to be customer service quality management said they pretty much care less the only way they would help me is if it was under warranty. You hear about this cancel culture and no wonder people are like that no one will stand behind what they sell. It’s either you get lucky and you have no issues or you just dismiss the people that do.
Has anyone else had these same issues with the newer suburban’s and what did you do ? From reading on the internet seems like a lot have had the same issues but I never saw anything other than most took it in the back side and paid to fix stuff.
Struts are roughly a 100k mile part, so those are like complaining about getting 78,000 miles on 80,000 mile tires. You are basically there.

5Cy

Jun 26, 2015
I own a 2015 Suburban and have also had issues with the trim around the windows. It’s a cheap and dumb design so instead of paying for new ones I just invested in a roll of black duct tape and taped them down so they don’t howl in the wind while driving down the road. I’ve noticed a small oil leak for a while and finally took it into to get it looked at. The shop told me it was a warped oil pan. It’s apparently a known issue with the 2015 suburban/tahoe/silverados. They’re made out of plastic and over time the heat causes them to warp. $530 to have that replaced so we’ll see what the next issue is to pop up. It’s approaching 100k miles so I’m sure things will start breaking more and more.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's a 2015, you're supposed to have traded in earlier this year per the dealer guidelines. :rolleyes:

I get a letter or email from Audi ever other week citing details of how they can give me $X for my 2015 and put me into a new 2020 for only $XX,XXX! If they looked at the maintenance records at all they would see it only has 25,000 miles on it and I haven't hardly been driving it...not like I need a new one. Covid distancing plus retirement and not commuting means I have more miles on my bicycle than Das Audi this summer.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's a 2015, you're supposed to have traded in earlier this year per the dealer guidelines. :rolleyes:

I get a letter or email from Audi ever other week citing details of how they can give me $X for my 2015 and put me into a new 2020 for only $XX,XXX! If they looked at the maintenance records at all they would see it only has 25,000 miles on it and I haven't hardly been driving it...not like I need a new one. Covid distancing plus retirement and not commuting means I have more miles on my bicycle than Das Audi this summer.
I got a 2017 at the end of the model year, and they did the same thing once the 2018 came out. I was like bruh, theres 1500 miles on this piece.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
There’s no question your expenses are outside the normal for a 2015 with <100,000 miles, but not outrageously so I don’t think.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
That completely sucks, man. But i would have to chalk it ip to the vehicle ‘aging’. I own two GM vehicles - acadia and cruze. You said there are known issues. Are you reading about these issues online? Reason i ask, is one thing ive noticed is if you look deep enough you can find DIY tutorials online and save yourself a good chunk of $.

For my cruze it needed some small repairs, that i was able to do by myself that would have easily cost me $1k, and in no way do i consider myself ‘handy’.

Reactions: Cymon

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
They are all built to wear out nowadays. If they built them to last they would never come close to the $$$ they make now.

I disagree completely. Did you ever own a car made in the 70s, 80s or even 90s? I can't remember the last time a car left me stranded on the side of the road. Was a common occurrence when I was younger. Cars are much more reliable now than they've ever been.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
It sounds like you have spent the better part of 4k on a/c related stuff so far. The problem with modern a/c units and particularly GM's units is that they are a supplied part always imported. They are cheap and mostly plastic. They are also extremely difficult to access and I assume that a lot of your costs were in labor.

The antenna is hard because a current GM vehicle contains at least 3 antennas. I assume you are talking about the "shark fin" and that is a another labor intensive job because they have to remove the headliner which contains several wire harnesses and other clips and fasteners. It is also a supplied part.

Trim around windows should have given you more than 97k, but the installation process can provide for some variation that could easily lead to some premature wear.

On a positive note, you haven't had any drive train or chassis issues. These would be really expensive to fix.

It's also a $70,000 truck and everything on it is going to be expensive to fix.

I work in Quality at an unnamed vehicle production facility and know a lot about this stuff if anyone has any questions. I also know a lot about GM production, but had nothing to do with your Burb.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I also work in automotive reliability. Reliability is all about probability of failure. When an automaker sells 100s of millions of cars, there will be some on the wrong side of the curve. GM can still have a highly reliable product overall while your particular vehicle was that 1/1,000,000 that has every problem.

Reactions: Candide

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
$70,000 for a new consumer car or truck is crazy. The avg home price around here is just $85-90k.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
$70,000 for a new consumer car or truck is crazy. The avg home price around here is just $85-90k.
I don't know where you are living that an average house is that price. those are the ones that need major work/upgrades to begin with or are absolutely tiny.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
cars are on the road longer then ever currently. but what you also are saying would mean people stop buying the product because of said reputation. mean while we have increased hp/tq, fuel economy, safety on top.

Reactions: cygrads

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Many mid sized towns are in that area. Even a mason city would be around 100k.
we actually looked at Mason City when I was job hunting 2 years ago, would have bought an acreage just north of town. for a decent price but otherwise everything we found was in need of some sort of work/updates, and most were around the $130k + mark. friends are in the process of closing on a house now and it was a struggle for them to find anything under $120k that didn't need major work done to it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
we actually looked at Mason City when I was job hunting 2 years ago, would have bought an acreage just north of town. for a decent price but otherwise everything we found was in need of some sort of work/updates, and most were around the $130k + mark. friends are in the process of closing on a house now and it was a struggle for them to find anything under $120k that didn't need major work done to it.

The thing to remember is that we are talking average (even median for the most part) for houses. What you as, most likely, a college degreed higher wage job than average would consider average, is nicer than true average. Remember that between 25-30 is the percent of bachelor degrees in Iowa. I’ve been in several mason city houses and a good amount have sold for under 100k.