Professional "College" Football

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Saw this in Omaha.com. Long-term, I think this is where everything is trending. Once upon a time, teams like Drake played ISU on a regular basis. At some point, the bigger schools pulled away and formed 1-A. I think where things are headed is something like this:
A sort of college football/NFL. Have the 24 top college football programs (Neb., Mich, USC, Ohio State, Texas, Okla, Notre Dame, Ala., Florida, Georgia, Miami, Fla. St, Penn St., LSU, Va. Tech, Oregon — you pick the rest). Divide the 24 teams into three conferences, schedule only games among the 24 teams and at the end of the season have the three conference champions plus one wild card meet in a four-team playoff for the national championship. The money would astronomical, probably even greater than conference realignment.

Eventually, I think all of the college football 'superpowers' form some kind of league and kick teams like ISU, Indiana, etc. to the curb. Divvy up the money from a huge TV contract and have their own playoff. I think we are in the early stages of the sorting out process with this round of conference re-alignment.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
This is the reason I have always been against a playoff. Some people actually want to destroy college football as I love it. The NFL is great, but so is College Football. Different is good.