Prohm - Game management

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I know there are several other threads, but I thought our coach was deserving of his own.

As much as the Hawk fans are talking about how bad Franny managed the end of the game let's talk about Prohm. Obviously the players had to make plays, but think of everything that happened in the last 3 minutes of the game and how perfectly Prohm handled it. Choosing when to foul, when to play it out, when to press, isolation plays for Georges/Monte. It was his first big time game in Hilton and he ran the end of the game to perfection. That is incredibly impressive and I think speaks volumes to the type of coach he is and what we can expect moving forward.

I know that I would completely crumble in a situation like that and he had everyone in place and put us in a position to win. We have a great coach leading the way.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Add to that Monte giving Prohm props for drawing up really good plays during the timeouts and managing Monte's cramping issue.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He definitely seemed calm throughout, which is good. Kind of like he was taking it all in and analyzing what needed to be done. In the end, it was probably a combination of good management on his part, bad management/plays on their part, and some special plays by special players on the court. You simply cannot draw up Jameel keeping the ball alive and batting out to Georges for a wide open three.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yeah, thank God I'm not the coach... I would have completely botched the end of that game. And that's why I'm an average working class guy driving a Kia Optima and eating McDonalds.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'm surprised we didn't foul on the last drive, once Gessell crossed half court. We had fouls to give, worked out well this time.

McKinney

Feb 1, 2012
McKinney, TX
I know there are several other threads, but I thought our coach was deserving of his own.

As much as the Hawk fans are talking about how bad Franny managed the end of the game let's talk about Prohm. Obviously the players had to make plays, but think of everything that happened in the last 3 minutes of the game and how perfectly Prohm handled it. Choosing when to foul, when to play it out, when to press, isolation plays for Georges/Monte. It was his first big time game in Hilton and he ran the end of the game to perfection. That is incredibly impressive and I think speaks volumes to the type of coach he is and what we can expect moving forward.

I know that I would completely crumble in a situation like that and he had everyone in place and put us in a position to win. We have a great coach leading the way.

According to ESPN's post-game interview with McKay, when asked about what Prohm said in the huddle, McKay said that it was he (McKay) who was the vocal leader that everybody looked to in the huddle for encouragement. I doubt McKay meant to dis Prohm, he probably heard the question wrong, but I had to rewind it to make sure I heard the question right after McKay responded like that.

Anyway, Prohm did a great job and remained pretty stoic on the sidelines even through the end.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Review the game thread and you will see many objecting. :wink:
One game is not a trend, but I think coach has a great demeanor and mind. I hope for all of our sake that he is the real deal.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, thank God I'm not the coach... I would have completely botched the end of that game. And that's why I'm an average working class guy driving a Kia Optima and eating McDonalds.

I would have left 10 minutes into the game and let TJ give it a try. :smile:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm surprised we didn't foul on the last drive, once Gessell crossed half court. We had fouls to give, worked out well this time.

He may have assumed they would call a timeout and would foul after that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I never thought about that, but that was probably something that would have been addressed in a time out, had either team taken one in the last minute. Iowa had a few possessions saved by last second fouls, so I'm just glad we didn't foul the shooter.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I never thought about that, but that was probably something that would have been addressed in a time out, had either team taken one in the last minute. Iowa had a few possessions saved by last second fouls, so I'm just glad we didn't foul the shooter.
Freddy got burned numerous times on situations like this, Prohm made out well last night.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
My opinion, if you have fouls to give, why not pressure the inbound pass and make Gessell cross it over....

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I'm actually surprised Iowa didn't use their last timeout.

If I am Fran (shudder at the thought), I foul us immediately on the possession where MM scored winning basket. Have to assume there is 50% + chance we score and we were shooting barely above 50% from FT line. Worst case you are behind by 1 with 20 seconds instead of 10.

That way Uthoff could have clanked twice :)

Which begs the question, who clanks better, Uthoff or Gazelle?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
This is kind of a funny thread when you reflect back at the number of times they panned to Prohm and it looked like he was going to throw up on his shoes throughout the game. Glad it all worked out, but the guy looked mortified (no worse than me BTW) throughout most of the game.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
This is kind of a funny thread when you reflect back at the number of times they panned to Prohm and it looked like he was going to throw up on his shoes throughout the game. Glad it all worked out, but the guy looked mortified (no worse than me BTW) throughout most of the game.

I don't think he looked mortified; I think he looked like a guy keeping a grip. Unlike most of us armchair analysts.
T.J. looked ****** in that first half, sitting next to him.

I gotta confess, I was cursing Prohm in that first half. Seriously, you can't find "an answer" to this guy going off for 30 points in 20 minutes??
Now you look back, and he (Prohm) basically played every card he had correctly. There are games you're gonna be down, there are games your guys are not focused for short stretches or even entire games, and there are games when you just have to have your guys "make plays."
It's true that a lot of little stuff/blunders by Iowa went our way, but hey, we also helped ourselves, and Monte/McC and Thomas decided they weren't gonna let us lose. But we could have, and I still would have a high opinion, retrospect, about Prohm.

I think he totally passed the test last night.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I won't lie... ISU was down 8 with just over 2 minutes to go, Naz just missed a three and Iowa got the board, I was screaming at the tv for the guys to start fouling to extend the game. I nearly lost my mind watching the team instead allow Iowa to dribble out front and burn clock while trying to play defense instead of putting Iowa on the line. Allowing Iowa to milk the clock late with a seemingly safe lead... INSANITY!!!!

I guess that is why Prohm is making the big bucks coaching college basketball and I'm not. He played defense, he put on the press (not too early, not too late), he pulled off the press (not too early, not too late), and he trusted his guys to make plays down the stretch rather than going to the gimmick of fouling to extend the game. Had ISU fouled like 99.9% of coaches would have done in that situation ISU would have lost that game. A coach that didn't trust his guys to buckle down on D when it mattered most would have coached his team to a certain loss in that game.

I loved Hoiberg as much as the next Clone fan but I found myself thinking... "If Hoiberg was on the bench for this game ISU would have lost". Every decision Prohm made down the stretch was exactly what needed to be done at exactly the right moment to overcome a situation that looked impossible to overcome. Credit to Prohm for putting his guys in position to win the game and credit to the guys for taking advantage of that by making the plays they needed to win the game. A masterful job of coaching and execution on the court.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm actually surprised Iowa didn't use their last timeout.

Fran assumed there was no way we would win at that point. Its just a building like everywhere else on their stops.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I won't lie... ISU was down 8 with just over 2 minutes to go, Naz just missed a three and Iowa got the board, I was screaming at the tv for the guys to start fouling to extend the game. I nearly lost my mind watching the team instead allow Iowa to dribble out front and burn clock while trying to play defense instead of putting Iowa on the line. Allowing Iowa to milk the clock late with a seemingly safe lead... INSANITY!!!!

I guess that is why Prohm is making the big bucks coaching college basketball and I'm not. He played defense, he put on the press (not too early, not too late), he pulled off the press (not too early, not too late), and he trusted his guys to make plays down the stretch rather than going to the gimmick of fouling to extend the game. Had ISU fouled like 99.9% of coaches would have done in that situation ISU would have lost that game. A coach that didn't trust his guys to buckle down on D when it mattered most would have coached his team to a certain loss in that game.

I loved Hoiberg as much as the next Clone fan but I found myself thinking... "If Hoiberg was on the bench for this game ISU would have lost". Every decision Prohm made down the stretch was exactly what needed to be done at exactly the right moment to overcome a situation that looked impossible to overcome. Credit to Prohm for putting his guys in position to win the game and credit to the guys for taking advantage of that by making the plays they needed to win the game. A masterful job of coaching and execution on the court.

Im not sure 99.9% of coaches would of fouled there. I was also in the mindset that we needed to, but with the 30 second shot clock, I think that mindset is changed, and Prohm handled it to perfection.