Propaganda against the Big 12 Commissioner

Gerojohnson

Dec 10, 2010
I am a die hard Cyclone alum who is living in Scotland this year. My best friend Rich is an Iowa fan. Rich emailed me the following thoughts from himself and a link to an article out of the Free man electronic Webster Iowa Newspaper or whatever it is. The article and his ideas try to demonize the Big 12 Commissioner and the Insight Bowl Committee as trying to get back at Nebraska for leaving the Big 12. Please offer me counter arguments to the following letter with link, because I don't buy it and feel Beebe is bigger than that.
Rich says: "The fact that Missouri has the highest BCS rating and thus deserves the bid over Nebraska, the North Division champ, makes logical since but
is not normal reality in the Bowl selection process. Once you get past
the strict guidelines for the five BCS Bowls (Champs from the Big 10,
PAC 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC and Big East are guaranteed spots, and no more
then 2 schools from any one conference can play in a BCS bowl), the selection
process for the remaining 30 bowls is often questionable and inconsistent
at best. It's very similar with the rankings. How in the world can they
justify ranking Missouri 6 spots higher than Nebraska when Nebraska and
Missouri had the same record going into the Big 12 Championship game, and
Nebraska owns a convincing win over Missouri during the season?
Look no further than last year's Insight Bowl and Iowa State to prove my point.
FOOTBALL: Cyclones accept bid to play in Insight Bowl - Iowa State Daily: Football - FOOTBALL: Cyclones accept bid to play in Insight Bowl : Football
The above link writes about how last years Iowa State team (6-6) got selected
to the Insight Bowl over last years Missouri team (8-4). The main reason was
the fact that Iowa State travels well, and would bring thousands more fans to
Tempe for the bowl game then would Missouri.
So, we fast forward to 2010, and the same Bowl this year decides now to take a
10-2 Missouri team over a 10-3 Nebraska team that clobbered Missouri and as a
result won the Big 12 North? Add to that the fact that Nebraska brings their
whole state to their Bowl game. Sorry, but one can not help but smell a skunk
here."
I say Missouri is ranked higher in the BCS and had a better record in the last 4 games than Nebraska. Also, ISU took NU into overtime before losing while losing to MU by 13-0. The only argument is MU lost to NU in the regular season, offer me counter arguments for me to give my buddy. Thanks, Dr. J

fanaticagain

Jun 6, 2009
Here's one for your buddy: Get over it. It's not like Nebraska needs to worry about its position in the Big 12 anymore.

EDIT -- Just saw the part about your buddy being an Iowa fan, so here's another one for him: Why the hell do you care? You'll get your shot to play Nebraska every year starting next year.

dmb341

Nov 23, 2009
OP, I'm confused about your second sentence. Friends don't let friends be hawkeye fans:twitcy:

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Iowa fans just want to believe that Nebraska is still a great team and the only reason they lost any games is because the Big 12 cheated them. That way Iowa can feel better about playing Nebraska starting next year. If they win they think they beat a great team. If they lose they think they lost to a great team. In reality they are just playing against a mediocre team.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
don't the bowls themselves choose what teams play in them and it has nothing to do with the commissioners?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Perhaps the bowl sponsor wanted nothing to do with the Pelini brothers. Those guys make Tom Brands seem like a stable individual.

jp1974

Nov 10, 2006
The article and his ideas try to demonize the Big 12 Commissioner and the Insight Bowl Committee as trying to get back at Nebraska for leaving the Big 12.

---------------------

I agree that the Big XII probably encouraged the Insight Bowl to select Missouri. I look it more as taking care of your remaining members rather than trying to get back at Nebraska.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
That is how the bowl process works. Iowa fans are fine with it when Iowa is picked over better teams to go to bowl games. Nebraska dug their own grave, you will not find anyone feeling sorry for them here.

mg4cy

Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
Isn't the Holiday Bowl better than the Insight Bowl? they are getting punished by going to San Diego again?

Seems like they should be going to the Cotton Bowl, as the Big 12 runner up.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Did you tell your friend that Dan Beebe doesn't choose what teams go to the bowl games, that the Selection Committees for each respective bowl game chooses the teams that play? The Big 12 Conference administration has nothing to do with who plays in what bowl. My guess is Nebbie's actions had repercussions with the bowl selection committees. How about that? A team being held responsible for their past actions; doesn't happen very often in the NCAA.

sweaty7

Nov 8, 2008
Charlottesville, VA
Did you tell your friend that Dan Beebe doesn't choose what teams go to the bowl games, that the Selection Committees for each respective bowl game chooses the teams that play? The Big 12 Conference administration has nothing to do with who plays in what bowl. My guess is Nebbie's actions had repercussions with the bowl selection committees. How about that? A team being held responsible for their past actions; doesn't happen very often in the NCAA.

I agree, but one thing that kills me about this conspiracy theory is that the Insight Bowl is affiliated with the Big 12 and the Big Ten. Why would they spite Nebraska for leaving one of their affiliated conferences for another?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I agree, but one thing that kills me about this conspiracy theory is that the Insight Bowl is affiliated with the Big 12 and the Big Ten. Why would they spite Nebraska for leaving one of their affiliated conferences for another?

Same group operates the fiesta bowl too..

Roby

Nov 2, 2010
WDM
I am a die hard Cyclone alum who is living in Scotland this year. My best friend Rich is an Iowa fan. Rich emailed me the following thoughts from himself and a link to an article out of the Free man electronic Webster Iowa Newspaper or whatever it is. The article and his ideas try to demonize the Big 12 Commissioner and the Insight Bowl Committee as trying to get back at Nebraska for leaving the Big 12. Please offer me counter arguments to the following letter with link, because I don't buy it and feel Beebe is bigger than that.
Rich says: "The fact that Missouri has the highest BCS rating and thus deserves the bid over Nebraska, the North Division champ, makes logical since but
is not normal reality in the Bowl selection process. Once you get past
the strict guidelines for the five BCS Bowls (Champs from the Big 10,
PAC 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC and Big East are guaranteed spots, and no more
then 2 schools from any one conference can play in a BCS bowl), the selection
process for the remaining 30 bowls is often questionable and inconsistent
at best. It's very similar with the rankings. How in the world can they
justify ranking Missouri 6 spots higher than Nebraska when Nebraska and
Missouri had the same record going into the Big 12 Championship game, and
Nebraska owns a convincing win over Missouri during the season?
Look no further than last year's Insight Bowl and Iowa State to prove my point.
FOOTBALL: Cyclones accept bid to play in Insight Bowl - Iowa State Daily: Football - FOOTBALL: Cyclones accept bid to play in Insight Bowl : Football
The above link writes about how last years Iowa State team (6-6) got selected
to the Insight Bowl over last years Missouri team (8-4). The main reason was
the fact that Iowa State travels well, and would bring thousands more fans to
Tempe for the bowl game then would Missouri.
So, we fast forward to 2010, and the same Bowl this year decides now to take a
10-2 Missouri team over a 10-3 Nebraska team that clobbered Missouri and as a
result won the Big 12 North? Add to that the fact that Nebraska brings their
whole state to their Bowl game. Sorry, but one can not help but smell a skunk
here."
I say Missouri is ranked higher in the BCS and had a better record in the last 4 games than Nebraska. Also, ISU took NU into overtime before losing while losing to MU by 13-0. The only argument is MU lost to NU in the regular season, offer me counter arguments for me to give my buddy. Thanks, Dr. J

WTF is this Garbage and who cares! I can't believe I just allowed my eyes to read all of that crap. Go slam a pint and enjoy Scotland matey.

cy2win

May 15, 2006
After watching the 30 for 30 on SMU, I learned that Dan Beebe was an NCAA investigator from 1982 - 1986 I believe it was.

I wonder what kind of circumstantial evidence he received on any school during that period besides SMU.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

That's how it's supposed to be but it's not reality. If it were that way there is no logical reasoning behind picking Mizzou, a team who got passed up by a team with two less wins just a year ago because they traveled better. Everything points to Beebe giving NU a big **** you before they left, which I don't really have a huge problem with.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Maybe it was a toss up between Mizu and Bg Rd and the committee went with the team that could actually put points on the scoreboard. Against good teams, Pelini struggles to find a consistent offense, more so now that Martinez is not 100%. On the other hand Gabbert is one of the better QB's around and the Tigers strength has been in ther offensive skill positions for several years. The average fan likes to see a high scoring Bowl game. This bowl selection shows that Nebraska was over ranked most of the year...look at some of their scores besides the losses.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron