Proposed changes to NCAA season

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
The NWCA proposed some pretty drastic changes to the season. It would start after the holiday break and end in April.

What are your thoughts on this? I think it is a good move- The season is too long right now, NCAA's won't compete with march madness, and the season will be one semester.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought that football athletes were lucky to be competing just one semester. You get that second one to keep the focus on grades and be a more traditional student. I think this would be good. It also gets it away from March madness and maybe help viewership some.

The Nichols is always around a football game so that would be nice. I think pending what part of April you're talking, Buf may not be too happy.

Reactions: buf87

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I agree it would be a good move for the athletes, though the big holiday tournaments are really important for setting the stage for the season (often the only time you get a lot of cross pollination between regions) and those would be tougher for fans to travel to if they weren't around traditional holidays.

So what would the season look like?
January: Tune up duals and open tournaments
February: A couple duals but mostly new dates for Midlands/Scuffle/Vegas/Reno/etc
March: Duals
April: Conference and National Tournaments

That wouldn't leave a lot of time for the dual season. You'd also still have practices starting right around finals in December so you'd still have the two semester problem.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
BCClone is right. If this goes through it will probably end me going to Nationals. No way I can commit to a trip anywhere the last half of April. I would think many Grain farmers will be in the Midwest would be in the same boat. April 15 to April 30 is committed to putting the crop in the ground.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Anyone know when they are voting on this? It would be nice to have all together, although having the break in the middle is nice also.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron