Proud Papa-Iowa State Varsity Marching Band

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sounds like they take things a little more seriously nowadays. I doubt they party now like we used to. Every Friday night before game day there’d be a house party. We’d down a keg and sing inappropriate songs. It was like a fraternity. Fun fact: you can use a trombone as a beer bong.
tool.

Yeah, from everything I've heard from family that just recently graduated out of the band, there's definitely much less of a party scene. And they are smarter, when there are parties on game weekends they are after the game, not on Friday night

• Informative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
500...? Yikes.

I auditioned in early 2005, but it was pretty pro forma. My high school band director was the wife of the Iowa State band director at the time. He came over to Boone one day, "auditioned" ~8 of us, and all of us ended up in the band that fall. He told me right then and there I'd get a packet in the summer with sheet music and new drill to learn and I'd be good to go. Amazing how that might have changed.

My audition experience was similar. Smith came to my school (he was doing a clinic that day with our band) and me and a couple others auditioned. Told me I was in on the spot. Only question at band camp was on being an alternate or not for freshman year (which I was, I shared G3, but I ended up marching in every show)

At current levels? I'm almost sure i'd be cut. I wasn't the greatest marcher when I started (and oh boy did I feel the pain of that at ISU and even moreso when I did my first DCI tour), so I probably would have been cut at the visual portion of the audition.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Is there anyone else out there that thinks the football marching band and the basketball band is the most annoying part of ISU sporting events? Bring on the dumbs, but I know I'm not alone.
I think your generalization should encompass all college football and basketball events, not specifically singling out ISU.

That’s your opinion, and you are welcome to your opinion. I personally feel the bands help create a unique atmosphere at the games.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So band people I've always wondered is pep band selected from marching band or is it a separate process? TIA.
For what it is worth I like the goofy pep band cheers. LOL.

Reactions: ABECyguy

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Bands are part of the college atmosphere and part of what makes it unique. If you don't like them, you don't like college sports.

And, from experience, band members tend to be some of the more intense members of the ISU fanbase. There are a ton of band alums on this site.
*raises hand*

Reactions: CYCLNST8

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Very excited and Proud of my son Trevor, he was selected to be a member of the Iowa State Varsity Marching Band......Go Cyclones....
Congrats to your son! It is hard work but he will make some great memories and lifelong friendships.

I failed my first tryout for drumline but made it on as a sophomore. I met my wife in marching band. Three members of our wedding party were marching band members, as well.

You may not want to know this as a parent but Band parties are legit. :p

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
And apparently its gotten decently difficult to make it in.

Saw a post on reddit today of a Colts trumpet player who just got off DCI tour who didn't make it in.
That's crazy. And the Colts' show was great, particularly the trumpet solo, played by the son of a couple friends from my ISUCF'V'MB days.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

Frog

May 6, 2021
So band people I've always wondered is pep band selected from marching band or is it a separate process? TIA.
For what it is worth I like the goofy pep band cheers. LOL!
Marching band members try out for the pep bands each year.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Thanks for the kind words.....he marched all Summer with the Colts DCI group, had a blast. Loved every minute of it and was nervous about the ISU audition yesterday. So he is above the clouds right now.
Oh...that's awesome. I went to the theater to watch the prelims, Big, Loud, and Live. The Colts' show was so beautiful and engaging. Well done!!

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Is there anyone else out there that thinks the football marching band and the basketball band is the most annoying part of ISU sporting events? Bring on the dumbs, but I know I'm not alone.
Why do you hate culture? Just kidding. My son has said many times he is frustrated that a football game breaks out during his marching band gig.

I understand it may not be your thing, that's fine, but the bands are what make college athletics unique. It bothers me more when canned music is played instead of the band. My god, they are there so let them play! At least that is my opinion.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
ISUCF”V”MB alum here. Served from 2001-04; the Seneca Wallace days. Trombone section leader my final year. Plenty of nerds in the band, but many of us were hardcore fans and still are.

Sounds like they take things a little more seriously nowadays. I doubt they party now like we used to. Every Friday night before game day there’d be a house party. We’d down a keg and sing inappropriate songs. It was like a fraternity. Fun fact: you can use a trombone as a beer bong.
My brother was a band nerd during our days in Ames, and he played trombone. He never told me about the beer bong thing!

• Funny

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
My brother was a band nerd during our days in Ames, and he played trombone. He never told me about the beer bong thing!
You had to be there in 2003-04. My idea; I haven't heard of anyone doing it since. Only a handful of us were brave/stupid enough to try. You detach the bell and one half of the tuning slide. You can pour a whole tall boy.

• Informative

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
As a side note, it's great to see so many kids interested in joining the marching band. It seems interest in marching band in the middle/high school level is dropping. But I can personally attest that some of the best people you will ever meet are band members, and often times life long friendships form amongst band members.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

People love calling them 'band nerds'... but most of those people couldn't hack even one home game in their shoes. It is a long, hard day... not to mention practicing all week. It is tough.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig and CYCLNST8

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yeah, from everything I've heard from family that just recently graduated out of the band, there's definitely much less of a party scene. And they are smarter, when there are parties on game weekends they are after the game, not on Friday night
Disappointed that they will not get the experience of still being drunk during pregame practice and hungover for the game.