PSP?

CycloneSteel

Apr 13, 2006
One of our sons wants a PSP player for Xmas. I've been watching Ads for weeks now and they are never in any Ads (games) -is this losing the battle of handheld games and I'm not aware of it?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dont think its losing, but it definitely is having a hard time gaining any momentum over the Nintendo DS. Its just too expensive. My nephew has one, but I rarely see him play it. He plays his DS more. I have a DS as well and love the stupid thing to death.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
It's an expensive gadget to be sure. Some have claimed it's gaining momentum, but the Nintendo DS's popularity is still much higher. The graphics for it are better, and it has the ability to play videos/music/etc. It just depends on how tech-savvy your son is. If he loves computers and would know how to use the PSP to its full advantage, it'd be a great gift. But if it's just the "in" thing that he wants, I'd look into a Nintendo DS, which has the better games in my opinion.

I think age has a lot to do with it, too. If he's young, he would probably end up liking a DS more, but if he's in junior high or older, a PSP would be better. The PSP has more titles geared for an older audience, but does have a couple of kid-friendly platformers and several good racing games to choose from.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
When PSP first came out i bought it and sold it probably 3 months later..Also my brother who is 17 just bought one and i asked him lastweekend if he ever uses it and he said nope not at all. I think its something that people think they would use alot and it doesn't happen.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The homebrew scene on the PSP is amazing, but it doesn't sound like he'll be into that.

However, the PSP is a great portable music player, movie player and picture viewer.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The homebrew scene on the PSP is amazing, but it doesn't sound like he'll be into that.

However, the PSP is a great portable music player, movie player and picture viewer.

Yeah but you have to buy those UMD discs. Does it play Divx and stuff off of media cards? I am not overly in tune with PSP so Im not sure what it does.

clone61

Dec 8, 2007
NE Iowa
I have one and use it frequently, it comes in handy to use as it is also can be used with a wireless internet source such as a hotel, etc.. Ive found that quite handy, but the movies are about the same price as a normal DVD, so I dont have many, but its great for sports game and such when your traveling