Pulling the plug on cable

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I just bought a firestick. I really don’t want to pay a +$120 monthly cable bill to support B1G network, SEC, ND, etc. I think the networks are what is causing the continuous realignments and revenue/talent inequality. I would even consider reverting back to radio broadcasts like in the 80-90s. Walters is very good. Anyway, how does CFB streaming work? I have heard you have to find a “pirate” feed . Is that the process? What network airs B12 games? Hopefully it is not ESPN. I live about 3 hours from ISU, so season tickets do not seem to be the right answer. Next year, I will be retired, so plenty of time to travel then.

Reactions: CnG and DBQR4CY

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Hulu Live or YouTubeTV. I’ve had the latter for 6 years and never missed an ISU outside of the LHN games. $65 per month and no commitment so you could cancel after football season. Bonus for YTTV is for an extra $10 for the sports pack, you get the NFL Redzone channel.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I just bought a firestick. I really don’t want to pay a +$120 monthly cable bill to support B1G network, SEC, ND, etc. I think the networks are what is causing the continuous realignments and revenue/talent inequality. I would even consider reverting back to radio broadcasts like in the 80-90s. Walters is very good. Anyway, how does CFB streaming work? I have heard you have to find a “pirate” feed . Is that the process? What network airs B12 games? Hopefully it is not ESPN. I live about 3 hours from ISU, so season tickets do not seem to be the right answer. Next year, I will be retired, so plenty of time to travel then.

I can watch everything i want on hulu live minus the pac12 network, but whatever.

Reactions: xboxfever

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
2 of ISU's first 3 games are on ESPN+.

One of them is on BTN.

OU 10/29 is on Fox/FS1.

Network will likely depend on how the season goes but likely ESPN and the Fox affiliates will be on it. Here's hoping it's not and ESPNU or FS2 kind of season.

You'll be supporting those other conferences/networks one way or another if you want to watch ISU.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Yeah, if you use Hulu or YouTube TV or one of those other services that bundles ESPN or the other networks, your money is still going to those networks one way or the other. I personally like YouTube TV as a good option - it’s cheaper and more convenient than cable - but I don’t fool myself into thinking part of my monthly charge for that isn’t going straight to Disney/ESPN or Fox, because it is.

if you’re serious about keeping your money away from the networks, your choices are 1) purely over-the-air, which eliminates all non-OTA games carried on ESPN/BTN/FS1/etc; 2) go to a bar to watch the games, in which case some of your drinking money is still going to subsidize the networks; or 3) sail the high seas and find pirated streams. The Streams that run in the East aren’t too bad of a choice, or there’s always Reddit.

You can do things by skirting the law or you can send some of your money to the big bad networks; if you want to watch sports on TV you have to pick one or the other.

Reactions: cyfanatic

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Hulu Live or YouTubeTV. I’ve had the latter for 6 years and never missed an ISU outside of the LHN games. $65 per month and no commitment so you could cancel after football season. Bonus for YTTV is for an extra $10 for the sports pack, you get the NFL Redzone channel.
Which is more reliable as far as not having glitches and dvr quality? Also, which one has less of a lag between real time and air time?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Which is more reliable as far as not having glitches and dvr quality? Also, which one has less of a lag between real time and air time?

Both are very reliable with a good internet connection. I’ve never had Hulu Live but can count the issues with YTTV on one hand over the past 6 years.

Both are delayed by 20-30 seconds over DTV or OTA stations.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You can get a package that includes Hulu Live, ESPN+, and Disney Plus+ together. Gives you all the extra stuff on ESPN online and streaming. Plus all the channels you could want for football, except PAC net, and still about half the price of cable. Also includes unlimited cloud DVR.

Reactions: Jer