Pulpit Rock & Barn Town

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I do not like many Barn Town beers. That's all.

That surprises me. I've been pretty impressed with 80% of the stuff I've had from them. Better than TG's just making the same 6 beers (although they've gotten those beers to be consistent finally) and charging $100/bottle for BA stouts 3x per year, anyhow.

I wouldn't put them ahead of Pulpit, but I see a lot of like-mindedness in their philosophies and products. Barrel Theory in St. Paul is similar in my mind too.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
That surprises me. I've been pretty impressed with 80% of the stuff I've had from them. Better than TG's just making the same 6 beers (although they've gotten those beers to be consistent finally) and charging $100/bottle for BA stouts 3x per year, anyhow.

I wouldn't put them ahead of Pulpit, but I see a lot of like-mindedness in their philosophies and products. Barrel Theory in St. Paul is similar in my mind too.
A lot of Barn Town Hazy IPA's are heartburn juice to me. Don't know if it's extract or just an abundance of hop matter, but they tear me up. Think fresh Gamma, Gamma....that stuff ripped me up from the first sip.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A lot of Barn Town Hazy IPA's are heartburn juice to me. Don't know if it's extract or just an abundance of hop matter, but they tear me up. Think fresh Gamma, Gamma....that stuff ripped me up from the first sip.

Ahh. I could see that.

I only had one Gamma Gamma, but it was enough. I've found Barn Town much more pleasant, but have probably had it less frequently.

One thing that separates Pulpit in the juicy IPA game, IMO, is that they rarely cross into "too sweet" territory.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Love Barn Towns NEIPA's but their sweet stouts have been kind of disappointing recently. El Bake Shop and Flagchip were a waste of money. Maple Pecanye West was amazing though so it's kinda of hit/miss for me.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Love Barn Towns NEIPA's but their sweet stouts have been kind of disappointing recently. El Bake Shop and Flagchip were a waste of money. Maple Pecanye West was amazing though so it's kinda of hit/miss for me.

Maybe I'm just old and crotchety but I won't drink a beer whose name resembles a baked good. I've got no time for donut beers and the like.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron