QB Richardson

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I might be jaded due to the way these last two games ended (TT poor 4th down run, WV interceptions), but I feel like if the game is on the line, despite having some good drives during the game, I have no confidence he'll pull off a game winning drive.

Is this fair? Or can anyone look up the stats to show otherwise? I can't think of any close games he started where we were down but managed to pull out the W at the end

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
He had excellent last drives against Iowa and Texa$ this season. Unfortunately Texa$ scored their last drive.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He had excellent last drives against Iowa and Texa$ this season. Unfortunately Texa$ scored their last drive.

Exactly, if Sam would only go in with his namesake and play D as well, then we could have confidence in him.

I have confidence in Sam. I don't have confidence that he has all of the help he needs to make it all happen. Can't run block, can't protect the passer with any regularity, can't run and can't consistently catch passes that hit your hands - and those are only the offensive issues.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He's only won three games he started, so you don't have to sift through much, but Curt has the right answer.

This thread has to do with finishing games, not starting them. Give the old "Kansas doesn't count because the starter played about the first five minutes of the first quarter" schtick a rest. The starter contributed nothing but a fumble, a -2 yard fg drive and a deficit which Sam and company turned around to a blowout victory.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
As Ben Bruns said after the game Saturday...Sam Richardson is not the reason we're losing football games

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM

I'll count the texas game; forgot about that one (hopefully I can go back to forgetting it)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He's lead two scoring drives in the last minute of football games this year to either tie the game or take the lead. He also had a nice late drive going against WVU in 2012 before Woody fumbled.

He hasn't played well in the crunch the last two weeks, but he's been fine in late game situations in the past. We'll see where it goes from here.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
If we had a defense that would smack someone in the mouth, and an offensive line that could do the same, we would be saying different things about Sam Richardson.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
As Ben Bruns said after the game Saturday...Sam Richardson is not the reason we're losing football games

This is exactly right. Look at his stats (not that they are everything) compared to other ISU QBs in recent history, as well as how bad the O-Line is.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
He's only won three games he started, so you don't have to sift through much, but Curt has the right answer.

I don't put much stock in this personally because he isn't out there on defense giving up points.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I dont know how you can watch this team and come away with any thoughts about Sam being the problem. He is certainly adequate enough to win games.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I blame Sam because he should also be able to block for himself. Really disappointed in his pass block skills.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Iowa 2014

He was 2-4 for 16 yards passing on that drive. Running the ball and two penalties helped out. Sam's most impressive drive, by far, was against Texas to tie it up. Quick decisions, accurate throwing, looked confident. I saw that in the first half again against WVU.

we won't win with Sam as our QB period

I would argue that we won't win games without a better front 7 on defense next year.

Sam has to play better down the stretch and be more consistent, but at least he has moments were he looks great. The defense has never had those moments the last two years.