QB Under Center

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I can't fully be behind this coaching staff until they use a QB under center package. There is absolutely no excuse for not running a Lanning sneak to get a few inches. I don't care if they only use it a handful of times the whole year, it has to be an option.

Two years ago against KSt, the game was changed significantly when Iowa St couldn't pick up short yardage because they refused to go under center and QB sneak it. Two years later, different coaching staff, and different personnel, exact same issue.

dd34588e1a974bcd65974a039cc53eae.jpg

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I will tell you the most likely reason. You can disagree with it but I highly doubt we see this unless Lanning converts to a special situation quarterback. The problem is if they never go under center they are afraid that they will have trouble with the exchange.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I can't fully be behind this coaching staff until they use a QB under center package. There is absolutely no excuse for not running a Lanning sneak to get a few inches. I don't care if they only use it a handful of times the whole year, it has to be an option.

Two years ago against KSt, the game was changed significantly when Iowa St couldn't pick up short yardage because they refused to go under center and QB sneak it. Two years later, different coaching staff, and different personnel, exact same issue.

100 percent agree. I will never understand any coach that needs 1 inch, and starts 6 yards behind it. Makes no sense. The easiest call in football is a qb sneak when you need less then a yard. Esp in college football.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I will tell you the most likely reason. You can disagree with it but I highly doubt we see this unless Lanning converts to a special situation quarterback. The problem is if they never go under center they are afraid that they will have trouble with the exchange.

Oh I'm certain that would be the staffs explanation if pressed on the matter, but that's no excuse. It would take 10 minutes after each practice to work on the exchange. It's just good preparation.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Not convinced that this year is the year to walk out on Monday after a 4th and 1 and say we need to go under center for that situation. So many other things to keep working on. If I was a player on the ledge, might make me jump mentally. I'm convinced the teams long term health is more dependent on getting 4th and 1 from the gun than adding a set of under center plays to get it. Toledo did it, but the team was experienced and had their identity. My son said it was fun to go under center, something different, but they didn't need it. Played one I formation team and ran the I a series I think to rub it in their face that Toledo was better at it than they were. That is personnel!! They did march right down the field in the I. Should they of scrapped their current offense, no. Did I see the I again, no.

Reactions: bozclone

acody

Nov 25, 2006

I hope you're not serious. K-State does not have a problem switching back and forth. Seems like poor coaching preparation. I recall this same excuse with prior ISU coaches.Blah, Blah and Blah!!!

• Agree
Reactions: fairviewfarmer

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I hope you're not serious. K-State does not have a problem switching back and forth. Seems like poor coaching preparation. I recall this same excuse with prior ISU coaches.Blah, Blah and Blah!!!
Well K-State regularly switches.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Not convinced that this year is the year to walk out on Monday after a 4th and 1 and say we need to go under center for that situation. So many other things to keep working on. If I was a player on the ledge, might make me jump mentally. I'm convinced the teams long term health is more dependent on getting 4th and 1 from the gun than adding a set of under center plays to get it. Toledo did it, but the team was experienced and had their identity. My son said it was fun to go under center, something different, but they didn't need it. Played one I formation team and ran the I a series I think to rub it in their face that Toledo was better at it than they were. That is personnel!! They did march right down the field in the I. Should they of scrapped their current offense, no. Did I see the I again, no.

This absolutely makes no sense. The Big 12 is big boy football. How about practicing these situations. React and adapt.
With that said, I respect your opinion.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Further evidence of questionable coaching. A first year coaching staff should have this figured out by now.

No........it's evidence that they will be developing an identity which is the ability to run it down peoples throats from the gun. At least that is the case if they are continuing to follow the plan developed at Toledo. I report, you decide. I will bet ya though.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Jack Whitver talked about this some on the post game show with Chris, said something like "well, if you ask the coaches they'll probably tell you that they don't do it (go under center) because they don't practice it. Well then, practice it!"

It really is the most basic offensive play you can run. A QB taking a snap from under center (I'm certain Joel did plenty of this while playing at Ankeny, a school known for running the ball), and pushing behind his offensive line to get whatever yardage they can. Hell, do it 4 straight times down there at the goal line on that 1st and goal from 1 yard out. Talk about embarrassing to come away from that with nothing......

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I just don't understand when a coaching staff states they want to be a multi faceted offense but then they won't line up under center - ever. I think you run a few plays every game with the QB under center and that could set something up down the road.

In any event, even if we ran a QB sneak we would have been stoned - K-State knows how to stop short yardage situations - K-State is exceptional at it.

• Agree
Reactions: fairviewfarmer

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
No........it's evidence that they will be developing an identity which is the ability to run it down peoples throats from the gun. At least that is the case if they are continuing to follow the plan developed at Toledo. I report, you decide. I will bet ya though.

I don't care if you're Alabama, Toledo, Iowa St, or Junior High football, it doesn't matter what your "identity" is, you should use the QB under center in these situations. Even if you don't run the QB sneak, which is automatically what the defense will expect if a team like Iowa St lines up under center. It opens up so many play call options.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Could not agree more with this. So frustrating especially with a big strong running QB.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
The coaches have figured it out. The issue was physical errors which will not always happen. The coaches made the call, put trevor ryan in position to make a big play, he didn't catch the ball. How is this poor coaching? The coaches put Park and Montgomery in perfect position to make a play on 4th down for a score. Physical error again didn't make the play. These are basically first year players, it's going to happen. Like Kansas State when the kids are older we will start winning these games. We knew this year would be a transition year, recruiting is solid. We are on the right track.