Question about in state tuition

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
I have to leave Iowa and move to KC this summer for work reasons. My children are not happy, they have their heart set on going to ISU and are worried about paying out of state tuition when they come back. My oldest son would be a nonresident for two years and my youngest son would be a nonresident for four years.

Just wondering if there is a work around for them and what is the difference between in state tuition and out of state tuition?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

3. A student who was a former resident of Iowa may continue to be considered a resident provided absence from the state was for a period of less than 12 months and provided domicile is reestablished. If the absence from the state is for a period exceeding 12 months, a student may be considered a resident if evidence can be presented showing that the student has long-term ties to Iowa and reestablishes an Iowa domicile.

A. The following circumstances, although not necessarily conclusive, have probative value in support of a claim for resident classification:

Reside in Iowa for 12 consecutive months, and be primarily engaged in activities other than those of a full-time student, immediately prior to the beginning of the term for which resident classification is sought.
Reliance upon Iowa resources for financial support.
Domicile in Iowa of persons legally responsible for the student.
Former domicile in the state and maintenance of significant connections therein while absent.
Acceptance of an offer of permanent employment in Iowa.
Military orders, if for other than educational purposes.
Other facts indicating the student's domicile will be considered by the universities in classifying the student.

So.. maybe?

You might want to talk to someone at ISU to see what the chances are of qualifying for this.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
There is an out of state legacy scholarship. Ticked me off that ISU doesn't have an in-state one.
Attract out of state people to return to iowa for college by offering a scholarship to help with the higher out of state tuition. Keep the folks from Iowa by offering a very good in-state tuition. Sounds like a good strategy to me.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
There is an out of state legacy scholarship. Ticked me off that ISU doesn't have an in-state one.
Isn't it like $500 bucks? Just saying not something that is going to get many folks to ISU on it's own...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Attract out of state people to return to iowa for college by offering a scholarship to help with the higher out of state tuition. Keep the folks from Iowa by offering a very good in-state tuition. Sounds like a good strategy to me.
Problem is that neighboring states are using lower out of state tuition than ISU instate tuition.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Just about all public universities have seen a significant decline in their state appropriations so they are all becoming much more tuition driven. As a result, most of them have created merit based (not need based) scholarships designed to attract more nonresident students by taking the edge off of the much higher nonresident tuition.

These scholarships are not real money.
They're just tuition discounting for nonresidents who meet certain minimum academic requirements. Unfortunately, public universities are forced to do this to remain financially solvent.

To the OP, I strongly encourage you to contact the Registrar's Office at Iowa State, explain your situation, and ask what you might be able to do to retain instate residency for your children's tuition assessment. You've already paid Iowa taxes for many years, and it seems like that should count for something.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Problem is that neighboring states are using lower out of state tuition than ISU instate tuition.
Which ones? Haven’t looked in a while, but a decade or so ago WI, MN, and IL were all significantly higher. Funny enough my three roommates were from each one of those states.

• Agree

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
A few years ago out of state tuition at Iowa State was only a grand or two more per semester than in state tuition at the University of Minnesota TC campus according to a former coworker.

• Winner

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Which ones? Haven’t looked in a while, but a decade or so ago WI, MN, and IL were all significantly higher. Funny enough my three roommates were from each one of those states.
NW Missouri state is cheaper, South Dakota uses our in-state tuition for Iowa students. University of Minnesota is more expensive, but some of their other in-state schools are cheaper than Iowas.

This was from when my kids were looking 3 and 5 years ago. Will be looking again in another year for the last one.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
NW Missouri state is cheaper, South Dakota uses our in-state tuition for Iowa students. University of Minnesota is more expensive, but some of their other in-state schools are cheaper than Iowas.

This was from when my kids were looking 3 and 5 years ago. Will be looking again in another year for the last one.
Got you. My reference points were University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois, and University of Minnesota, which were more apples to apples for what we were studying (engineering).

Don’t remember Wisconsin specifically, but out of state at Iowa State was the same if not a bit cheaper than in-state was at IL and MN.

Feel like I’m detailing this thread, so I’ll stop here.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Got you. My reference points were University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois, and University of Minnesota, which were more apples to apples for what we were studying (engineering).

Don’t remember Wisconsin specifically, but out of state at Iowa State was the same were a bit cheaper than in-state was at IL and MN.

Feel like I’m detailing this thread, so I’ll stop here.
There are also some interesting scholarships at each school that you need to check out. One from ISU I remember was if your parents/grand parents/and up had served in WWI then you were eligible for a scholarship. They had to have served for a minimum of 6 months. My grandpa served 5 months.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
There are also some interesting scholarships at each school that you need to check out. One from ISU I remember was if your parents/grand parents/and up had served in WWI then you were eligible for a scholarship. They had to have served for a minimum of 6 months. My grandpa served 5 months.
45 years too late to find out about this.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Yea, most of my college buddies happened to be from MN. All engineering guys.

Help Support Us

Become a patron