Question for Jon Miller

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I just love how Iowa fans keep saying that Wisconsin isn't any good. So they lost 4th quarter leads to Michigan at the Big House and at home to Ohio State. Meanwhile, Iowa loses a home game to Northwestern and a road game to Michigan State, both teams that most sane people in America would consider worse than at the very least Ohio State, and would likely be underdogs if they played in Ann Arbor.

Where's the disconnect here? Why do Iowa fans still think their team is that much better than Wisconsin? Oh, that's right, because even though they lost to "also-rans" of the Big 10 conference, they still think they're magically going to win the conference title behind the strength of the D and Stanzi's arm... :wacko:

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Iowa is headed towards the pre-Hayden Fry era when they were the joke of the big ten. It's not easy being the conference joke, everyone here knows how it feels, but for Iowa fans, I feel mass suicides coming because they won't get the athletes, their coaching is stagnant, and every team in the big ten is passing them by. Iowa State by comparison is getting the athletes, their coaching staff is improving along with the players every week, and slowly but surely, we are catching up to some teams, and will surpass them next year. I like bashing Iowa every chance I get too, but I think in about 5 years it won't be hate I have for them, it will be pity when we put 50 points on them every year.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
If you really want to know what he thinks, call into his show and ask him.

We all know this could turn into a Jon Miller is awesome/sucks discussion...let's try to avoid that please.

No, it would be a Jon Miller sucks only thread. I doubt anyone except SH and the other clone wannabees that troll around here would ever say he is awesome.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
There hasn't been a FB on the field in college football since the wishbone. Wait, wait, I forgot about Ken O'Keefe, offensive genius. Iowa has a fullback.

That made me laugh and almost shoot snot out my nose!!!!!!!! I didn't see it coming!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Good Job???? I believe he had 78 yards on 18 carries, that is a 4.3 yard per carry average. Not to bad if you ask me.

Not to mention that they were so busy "stopping" McCoy that they let the Pittsburgh QB's run untouched for 2 touchdowns.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Iowa is headed towards the pre-Hayden Fry era when they were the joke of the big ten. It's not easy being the conference joke, everyone here knows how it feels, but for Iowa fans, I feel mass suicides coming because they won't get the athletes, their coaching is stagnant, and every team in the big ten is passing them by. Iowa State by comparison is getting the athletes, their coaching staff is improving along with the players every week, and slowly but surely, we are catching up to some teams, and will surpass them next year. I like bashing Iowa every chance I get too, but I think in about 5 years it won't be hate I have for them, it will be pity when we put 50 points on them every year.

Easy on the Kool-aid.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Here's a post Steve Deace made on Jon's HN.com site in the premium area. However, it is not premium content as Steve has posted it at OpenDNS. Its long, but its a good read. Whether you like him or not, Steve really knows college football and in this posting he dissects the current trends.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I wish I could +rep him...

I'm not a huge Deace fan in general, but he really does do a great job at college football. If he could shut his fat mouth about everything else, I'd love to listen to him.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Its not really an article....more of a blog. It would be just like me copying and pasting a post by someone else from another board....but OK, I guess.

Newsradio 1040 WHO

Look at yesterday's post of his, have to scroll down a bit.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The problem with that is that Iowa has the best parts of the Big X1 on it's schedule, save for Ohio State, while ISU has arguably the worst parts of the Big XII on it's schedule this year.

I honestly think ISU has more winnable games left on the schedule than Iowa does at this point.

We have a decent chance in the next three games, and really the only game left on the schedule that's intimidating is Missouri. Other than that, I think the rest of the games on the schedule are toss-ups.

I don't like Iowa's chances against Penn State, Illinois or Wisconsin. Purdue, Indiana and maybe Minnesota are toss-ups at this point. The issue for Iowa is that aside from IU, the rest of those toss up games come after a beatdown streak of Wisconsin, at Illinois and then Penn State.

I would be far more surprised if ISU went winless the rest of the season than if Iowa did.

Your joking right? Iowa State has more winnable games left on their schedule then Iowa?

The only possible explanation for a comment like that would be to say that Iowa State is a much more competitive team then Iowa. There are at least 3 teams left on our schedule that would win every single game remaining if they played the Hawks schedule. I will just throw 3 of them out there.... Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Colorado if they got hot.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Easy on the Kool-aid.

I am not sure that he has been drinking the kool aid there. Certainly you can see which program is on the rise and which program is on the decline. I don't think his thoughts are a stretch at all.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Your joking right? Iowa State has more winnable games left on their schedule then Iowa?

The only possible explanation for a comment like that would be to say that Iowa State is a much more competitive team then Iowa. There are at least 3 teams left on our schedule that would win every single game remaining if they played the Hawks schedule. I will just throw 3 of them out there.... Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Colorado if they got hot.

I'm not comparing the relative strengths of the schedule, just saying that I think ISU has the guns to score points needed to win 3-4 more games.

I think Nebraska, A&M, Baylor and K-State are all more winnable for ISU than any 4 games left on the Hawks' schedule are winnable for them. I don't mind our chances against Colorado either.

Give them wins at IU and Minnesota and at home against Purdue. that leaves them @Illinois and Wisconsin and Penn State at home. I wouldn't take Iowa in ANY of those three, and to be honest I wouldn't say they have a W locked up against the other 3 either.

Part of it is because I think ISU's offense is just in a much better place right now, and the team as a whole is improving. Iowa's O is completely dependent upon the running game and Shonn Greene in particular. I don't think they can beat many teams left on their schedule scoring an average of 19 points per game (as they have over their last 4 games).

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I'm not comparing the relative strengths of the schedule, just saying that I think ISU has the guns to score points needed to win 3-4 more games.

I think Nebraska, A&M, Baylor and K-State are all more winnable for ISU than any 4 games left on the Hawks' schedule are winnable for them. I don't mind our chances against Colorado either.

Give them wins at IU and Minnesota and at home against Purdue. that leaves them @Illinois and Wisconsin and Penn State at home. I wouldn't take Iowa in ANY of those three, and to be honest I wouldn't say they have a W locked up against the other 3 either.

Part of it is because I think ISU's offense is just in a much better place right now, and the team as a whole is improving. Iowa's O is completely dependent upon the running game and Shonn Greene in particular. I don't think they can beat many teams left on their schedule scoring an average of 19 points per game (as they have over their last 4 games).

Agreed. I totally agree with you now that you went a little more in depth on that. ISU has the more challenging competition. If Iowa had to play ISU's remaining schedule I think Iowa might be able to squeek by and possibly win 1 game. Probably Baylor. In my honest opinion I think Iowa is going to get another dose of reality at Indiana. I think the Hoosiers will put them away.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
Probably not the reason Jon would give you, but Iowa has a much better shot at turning their season around for one reason: The Big 10 is terrible and the Big 12 is arguably the best conference in the nation.

SEC is the best conference top to bottom hands down... Big XII is very close second but i think if you take the SEC's best team and Big XII best team... SEC wins 6 or 7 times out of 10.

SEC is just so damn fast

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
SEC is the best conference top to bottom hands down... Big XII is very close second but i think if you take the SEC's best team and Big XII best team... SEC wins 6 or 7 times out of 10.

SEC is just so damn fast
I would love to disagree, but until Oklahoma stops choking on the national stage I find it hard to argue.

I still think the Big XII is a bit better top to bottom than the SEC, but that's just subjective and there really isn't much to back it up.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
His show is really getting bad. Yesterday whatever moron he has on his show everyweek to predict the weekends football games said that if iowa had ISU's schedule they would go 11 and 1. Nice job getting another die hard hawk fan on your show to predict football games with you. I hope Indiana rolls over iowa this weekend.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
I would love to disagree, but until Oklahoma stops choking on the national stage I find it hard to argue.

I still think the Big XII is a bit better top to bottom than the SEC, but that's just subjective and there really isn't much to back it up.

ill agree with that in the way that i'm pretty much basing my decision on the last two national championships in the way that they ran all over ohio state (florida and LSU that is) but i guess that OSU is from in my eye the worse (BCS) conference in the nation. It would almost be hard for me to say that the worst SEC would lose to the bast big ten-ven team. I do think that it almost wouldn't be a bad idea to have the best big 12 team and best SEC team play each other in the national championship every year... except for the fact that USC still exsists, and they seem to be pretty good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron