Question regarding DSM police

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Got what I was looking for. I'd appreciate it if any posts that quoted me were edited to remove the quotes. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
fc,550x550,lemon.u3.jpg

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It's nothing terrible. They're just trying to rid central Iowa of EIU fans. You're just going to go to a better place.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
You could be responsible or partially responsible if you caused or contributed to the accident. I would just call back the police to see what the deal is. It could be nothing. If it's something, just don't admit to anything over the phone and have your next call be to a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Don't worry. It is usually nothing when the police call your mom. . . . Not really, they ran your plates and you're screwed.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
You mean another driver stopped short which forced you to slam on the brakes and swerve into the next lane, right? Right?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Someone else failed to maintain control of their vehicle after you were forced to make an evasive manuver for someone stopping short is what I'm hearing here :wink:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Someone else failed to maintain control of their vehicle after you were forced to make an evasive manuver for someone stopping short is what I'm hearing here :wink:

tm needs to read a few more of these posts before he makes the call back to the police.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You are so full of crap. You can't drive for **** and need to stop blowing up your parent's insurance.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I've since called back the number left in the message, and I got the voicemail from someone at the traffic department. The original call didn't ask for money or anything like that, and given the circumstances with the near-miss last week, I've gotta believe it's a legit call.

Still, I'd probably Google the real number of the DSM Police Traffic Department and call that one next time rather than just the number left on your voicemail.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I swore back when I lived in Iowa (7 years ago) if you got rear ended, it was always considered the person behind you's fault for failure to control, regardless of what was going on in front of them. Is that not a thing anymore? Was that ever a thing in the first place?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I've been trying to read up on this type of situation and I feel slightly better. A lot of what I've read suggests that in an instance like this, I wouldn't be held legally at fault (even if I was at fault in a moral sense) since I made no contact with another vehicle/road sign/etc. I've checked the news from last week and there was an accident reported along the route I was on, at about the right time of day. But when I took the same route back to downtown no more than 10 minutes later, there was no sign of anything having happened, so it would seem like whatever accident took place was very minor.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Just a suggestion, but it is unwise to ever admit guilt to a possible crime on the internet because it can be used against you. You are better off just keeping quiet about it, and that includes using your constitutional right to remain silent if the police were to approach you regarding this. If you start opening up to them on this and that they will also use that against you. If you are quiet the burden of proof is on them, and they are probably just fishing, otherwise you would probably have cops at your doorstep instead of calling you, if that is even the reason they were calling you in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Don't ever say anything to the police. Don't ever even fess up to minor things most people think will help build the relationship.