R Mason Thomas Commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'd bet on OU. Theyhas been masterful at pating palyers for years so NIL is nothing new for them.
"... but it was a quality job by the OU staff to be able to turn Thomas in such a short period of time." AKA... threw money at him. Because that's the only way OU and UT can recruit. F'em both.

Not surprised a bit if it were a $$$ situation. I lived in Norman near the end of the Switzer era and direct payments to players were already the norm back then. My wife's best friend worked for a local insurance agency who was also a large booster. Her job was to make sure all the cars that the football players were driving had insurance coverage under a legitimate name. Brian Bozworth had a Jeep, Corvette, and BMW at his disposal. Also, it was not uncommon to see OU football players dropping hundred of dollars at the local gentlemen's clubs.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
I haven't read but a couple of things about Thomas changing his mind. But both things I have read talk about how he contacted OU on Monday to tell him he was going to change. What I want to know is if he called Iowa State at the same time to tell them that he wasn't coming anymore. If he did fair enough. If he didn't we don't want him anyways. Does anybody know if he let Iowa State know at the same time he contacted OU?

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Man, some of you people on this message board are really in shambles that I sent your beloved CyTwins out with multiple L’s. I didn’t see any of you calling him out for being so clueless about XN the entire time, y’all ate it up.

Get some help. At least take a break from here. Your mental stability desperately needs it

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Miami’s NIL offer was too good for him to turn down
I'm still wondering Miami offered? I'd like to compare it with an amount Chris posted on the premium board the other day with a player that was in the portal.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Transfer portal has changed everything and if these guys coming in aren't 100% committed to Iowa State I say we take a pass on them. Waste a scholarship for a couple years to develop them, and then have them transfer out?

Sir Richard Branson says train them well enough they can leave but treat them well enough they don’t want to.

CycloneBamaFan

Nov 6, 2018
Don't care about $$, NIL, etc., I am concerned that Campbell is not closing the deal on these highly ranked recruits. Now that he has high notoriety, was "reportedly" in the running for every high profile jobs, why can't we get these four or possibly even five star recruits? I have high expectations now and so should the fan base.
Hoooray, we got a five star kicker. What about TE, DL, etc.?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don't care about $$, NIL, etc., I am concerned that Campbell is not closing the deal on these highly ranked recruits. Now that he has high notoriety, was "reportedly" in the running for every high profile jobs, why can't we get these four or possibly even five star recruits? I have high expectations now and so should the fan base.
You should care about $$ and NIL, it's important and IMO probably a big factor.

gordocyclone

Nov 10, 2013
Agree. We will have a hard time moving up without getting more highly rated players. I believe one of reasons we are not more successful getting high raked players is because we do not win enough. We had a chance this past season with nineteen starters returning but we blew it. I know it seems obvious that higher raked players would bring us more wins but not sure Cyclone nation understands this concept. One of the the persons on this chain stated it was a good sign that we were a finalist for R Mason Thomas. Doesn't matter that we were close to getting him! Close does not help!

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I haven't read but a couple of things about Thomas changing his mind. But both things I have read talk about how he contacted OU on Monday to tell him he was going to change. What I want to know is if he called Iowa State at the same time to tell them that he wasn't coming anymore. If he did fair enough. If he didn't we don't want him anyways. Does anybody know if he let Iowa State know at the same time he contacted OU?
Thomas will probably wind up in the portal in a couple of years when he doesn’t get enough snaps to justify any NIL cash.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's all about money and exposure folks. ISU better figure something out fast. Maybe a non-profit could raise funds for a slush fund for players? ISU gonna have to start ponying up if it wants to be serious about getting real talent here at a higher rate.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and JP4CY

Spartanantler

Jul 10, 2018
It's all about money and exposure folks. ISU better figure something out fast. Maybe a non-profit could raise funds for a slush fund for players? ISU gonna have to start ponying up if it wants to be serious about getting real talent here at a higher rate.
I feel like this isnt discussed at all. If you cant beat them join them

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt and JP4CY

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
The NCAA didn’t do the non blue bloods any favors! To be fair they should make a blue blood conference! I guess they might have already! The SEC! Can we just get rid of Oklahoma and Texas already can’t stand either!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The NCAA didn’t do the non blue bloods any favors! To be fair they should make a blue blood conference! I guess they might have already! The SEC! Can we just get rid of Oklahoma and Texas already can’t stand either!
It's coming. Pretty sure this sport is over as we know it. Look at the NFL right now. College will be like that on steroids.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
What contribution level are you giving toward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron