Radio Torture

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Inexplicably, I again tuned into the radio broadcast of the Hawk game. I can handle Ed Podolak, but Gary Dolphin may be the most annoying play-by-by man in the country. Some recurring themes:

1. Hyperbole: "Eddie, I hope you went to church last week because it looks like the rapture may be here. We are seeing the second coming on the field. No mortal being could have made the run Shonn Green just tore off. The NFL may need a special round in the draft because no one else deserves to be in the same round at Mr. Greene."
  2. Missed calls: "A five-yard completion to Brodell and Iowa has the ball at the Purdue 37. Check that, it was to DJK for 13 yards and it puts the ball at the Iowa 29."
  3. Odd similes: "Mitch King just made Siller look like a circus clown without the make-up. Eddie, how do you like life under the big top, Buddy Boy?"
  4. Total homer: "Come on Hawks, we need a big stop here. Let's stuff 'em here and take this thing over." or "How could they possibly call holding on that play. Every call is going against the Hawks today."
  5. Ridiculous descriptions: "Stanzi was about to be sacked but did a loop-d-loop move and the LB spun to the ground like a corkscrew."
Unlike Zabel, however, you can generally tell who has the ball and a little about the situation.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Sorry balken, I have no pity for those who would willingly listen to or watch anything related to the Hawkeyes. :wink: You reap what you sew, sir.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are two problems with your post:

1. You said you can handle Ed Podolak
2. You are listening to Gary Dolphin and Ed Podolak

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Inexplicably, I again tuned into the radio broadcast of the Hawk game. I can handle Ed Podolak, but Gary Dolphin may be the most annoying play-by-by man in the country. Some recurring themes:

1. Hyperbole: "Eddie, I hope you went to church last week because it looks like the rapture may be here. We are seeing the second coming on the field. No mortal being could have made the run Shonn Green just tore off. The NFL may need a special round in the draft because no one else deserves to be in the same round at Mr. Greene."
  2. Missed calls: "A five-yard completion to Brodell and Iowa has the ball at the Purdue 37. Check that, it was to DJK for 13 yards and it puts the ball at the Iowa 29."
  3. Odd similes: "Mitch King just made Siller look like a circus clown without the make-up. Eddie, how do you like life under the big top, Buddy Boy?"
  4. Total homer: "Come on Hawks, we need a big stop here. Let's stuff 'em here and take this thing over." or "How could they possibly call holding on that play. Every call is going against the Hawks today."
  5. Ridiculous descriptions: "Stanzi was about to be sacked but did a loop-d-loop move and the LB spun to the ground like a corkscrew."
Unlike Zabel, however, you can generally tell who has the ball and a little about the situation.

They aren't good:no:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Dolph is pretty bad. But you can't give him crap for being a homer, he's the HAWKEYE play by play announcer.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Dolph is pretty bad. But you can't give him crap for being a homer, he's the HAWKEYE play by play announcer.

Are you serious? Dolph is terrible - I made the mistake of watching the game while listening to him and it was clear that he was seeing a completely different game than I was.

balken

Apr 14, 2006

I don't mind if it is evident that the broadcast is for the Hawks, I just don't like outright cheering and rooting for the team. Pete Taylor was the best at this, IMO. Walters is fair, Dolph is awful. Even Greg Sharpe isn't as much of a homer as Dolph.

theodore

Sep 24, 2008
I don't mind if it is evident that the broadcast is for the Hawks, I just don't like outright cheering and rooting for the team. Pete Taylor was the best at this, IMO. Walters is fair, Dolph is awful. Even Greg Sharpe isn't as much of a homer as Dolph.

I don't mind cheering for your team but Dolphin is horrible as far as keeping a visual for the listener.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Are you serious? Dolph is terrible - I made the mistake of watching the game while listening to him and it was clear that he was seeing a completely different game than I was.

Dude, I agreed with you, he is bad.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

Of course he's a homer, he's getting paid by the team. Most announcers have some sort of bias for whatever team they're working for. If you think Dolph is bad, then you've never the play-by-play guys for the Bears or Vikings. Those guys are homers.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Of course he's a homer, he's getting paid by the team. Most announcers have some sort of bias for whatever team they're working for. If you think Dolph is bad, then you've never the play-by-play guys for the Bears or Vikings. Those guys are homers.

I think Dolph ranks right up there in the homer ranking with Paul Allen. I think PA may hold the record for most "homer of the week" calls on Mike and Mike.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I think Dolph ranks right up there in the homer ranking with Paul Allen. I think PA may hold the record for most "homer of the week" calls on Mike and Mike.

I've never heard Dolph say "YYYYEEEESSSSSS!" when Iowa scores a touchdown. Maybe it's something Allen does all the time - kind of like "touchdown Iowa!" I don't know.

balken

Apr 14, 2006

I expect them to be homers, just as Walters/Heft are homers. I just don't appreciate the cheering. If being a homer was the only issue, I wouldn't have a problem. It is mostly the cringe factor from his phraseology. Football games are better than BB, however. I shudder to think of hearing him describe "three balls" and how good of a "free thrower" is going to the line.

BTW, I have listened to Paul Allen for the Vikes. He's not awful, but better doing regular radio talk on KFAN. Does he still do his old sports talk gig?

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

It doesn't take "being a homer" for Dolphin to suck. He was hired purely for the timbre of his voice, and has lettle effective basketball knowledge or knowldge of proper verbiage. It's like fingernails on a blackboard. "Threeball", "dribble drive" and "free thrower" are just the tip of the iceburg. :confused:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I'm not gonna lie, I like listening to Dolph. He's annoying at times, but that's life. He's a homer, but he's the Hawkeye football announcer. I enjoy them cheering on the Hawks, because it gets fans listening at home pumped.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I admire the courage to admit a guilty pleasure. Me, I had a Smirnoff Ice the other day and actually liked it.

CharterMemberPrototype.jpg

HAND IT OVER

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron