Radio Torture

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
When did that happen?

Before the game against Penn State officially ended, the fans started to storm the field, as you know. There was still time left, and surprisingly Dolph knew this, and called the fans "morons" for coming out onto the field.

Marty and Miller played the clip during their show on Monday, and Corey got an e-mail soon thereafter from the ivory tower directing him to delete the clip.

sngorman

Dec 20, 2006
LA CA
I was listening to the game on XM with my mom today (My brother went to Pur-don't and my sister is currently enrolled) and after listing to the game for about 2 minutes she said "Wow, these announcers are really bad, who is Purdue plaing today?"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think shill is a little harsh for what Walters does. If that is the case, are you admitting that Dolph is a shill as well? How about yourself.

Half the reason that UofI fans are as arrogant as they are is because of the way that Zabel and Dolph portray the game.
-Both of their play - by -play is bad "hands the ball off, runs, avoids a tackle and still of his feet and FINALLY brought down for a loss of 2" no good references in the calling and they make it seem like the players are performing much better than they are if you are watching the game
-They (hawks) are never really beat by the other team, they just beat themselves. If I were a hawk fan and listened to their rendition of the UofI games, I would think taht uofi was just a few coaching corrections from being national champions every year as well. No wonder so many hawk fans are delusional.

Taylor and Walters offer a much better representation of what the fans in the stands see even in the tone of their voice. Sometimes painful to listen to, but an honest representation.

You got it. It's funny that the hoks go from one of the worst announcers out there (Z) to another terrible one in the Red Scorpion. That guy is flat out bad. Z lead the arrogant hok attitude and he's far from a legend. He's just lead idiot of a bunch of idiots. Dolph is just a blind cheerleader. A good pbp announcer (like Pete Taylor) should be able to tell you how your team is doing by the tone of his voice without cheering. ISU has had the best play by play voice in the state for 40 years and running now.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
When I use the term, I mean root. If there is a more dark meaning to that word in the minds of some, then I used the wrong word.

That's OK. That makes me feel better because that's exactly what I mean when I say that you are a "Hawkeye *****"! No dark meaning at all, just a big ol' bowl of OK.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
I think shill is a little harsh for what Walters does. If that is the case, are you admitting that Dolph is a shill as well? How about yourself.

Half the reason that UofI fans are as arrogant as they are is because of the way that Zabel and Dolph portray the game.
-Both of their play - by -play is bad "hands the ball off, runs, avoids a tackle and still of his feet and FINALLY brought down for a loss of 2" no good references in the calling and they make it seem like the players are performing much better than they are if you are watching the game
-They (hawks) are never really beat by the other team, they just beat themselves. If I were a hawk fan and listened to their rendition of the UofI games, I would think taht uofi was just a few coaching corrections from being national champions every year as well. No wonder so many hawk fans are delusional.

Taylor and Walters offer a much better representation of what the fans in the stands see even in the tone of their voice. Sometimes painful to listen to, but an honest representation.

Walter and crew objective? Last night I couldn't attend the game as my arthritis really flared up yesterday, so I listened to the radio. After Missouri scored their 52nd point, Walters color guy said that the defense looked like they had lost their edge. Really, after 52, that is a grand observation.....

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Walter and crew objective? Last night I couldn't attend the game as my arthritis really flared up yesterday, so I listened to the radio. After Missouri scored their 52nd point, Walters color guy said that the defense looked like they had lost their edge. Really, after 52, that is a grand observation.....

You are referring to a comment made by Eric Heft (he is the color guy to which your refer). The point of the comment was that the defense was playing hard and still making plays until late in the game in spite of the score (only 7 points in Q3). Most teams have been torched by Mizzou, in fact only four teams have held them to fewer points than ISU, but some teams have given up. Heft was trying to illustrate the fact that the fire was fading for an otherwise inspired defense by that point.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that the ISU game crew is completely objective, certainly not in the way that Pete Taylor was able to achieve. Moreover, I have no problem getting the game from the perspective of the team represented by the broadcasters. I actually enjoy the insight listening to Nebraska or Iowa or Mizzou broadcasts. But blindly cheering or only finding fault with the other team or officials' calls against your team is another thing for me, at least. ISU's crew isn't perfect, but better than many.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I love listening to Heft do color for both FB and BB

Color, yes. Post game interviews, not so much. I'll admit, however, that lobbing softball questions is the established norm for almost all broadcast teams. I appreciate the candor that Ben Bruns provides when describing disappointing results.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Not only does Dolphin do a poor job of play calling he makes every thing a hawk does sound like a super human feat.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
I love listening to Heft do color for both FB and BB

Nice seeing you on Soundoff tonight Jon.

I always wondered what your office looked like, and am not surprised you don't have any Clone stuff on the wall. Why even fake objectivity?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Nice seeing you on Soundoff tonight Jon.

I always wondered what your office looked like, and am not surprised you don't have any Clone stuff on the wall. Why even fake objectivity?

Hopefully you're not referring to the segment where Chris Hassel was impersonating Jon.