Ragbrai Route

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
The route: Glenwood to Atlantic (64.2 miles); to Carroll (65.4) to Boone (70.9) to Altoona (56.1) to Grinnell (57.5) to Corralville (75.3) to Davenport (64.8).

Ok... There is the route. What are your thoughts???

454.2 miles overall. Be interesting to see detailed route.

Guessing before Carroll there will be a Templeton stop.

I doubt they will go through Ogden again since we did that 3 years ago on the way to Boone. I'm thinking they will go North and take Pilot Mound and Twister hill.

About all I can think of. I only have 3 days due to newborn.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
The route they took from Glenwood to Atlantic on RAGBRAI VIII was the 6th hardest day in history.

They released elevation but I don't understand that without the specific route released. Glenwood to Atlantic has a climb of 4,900 ft. I think Atlantic to Carroll was 4,700 feet. The next two days are around 1,500 ft. Register called it a short but hilly ride.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I will be riding my first RAGBRAI and am pretty excited. I was hoping for the ending to be in Clinton (mom lives in neighboring town), but Davenport is close enough.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I love the route. Kinda wish Boone could have been Story City or Polk City, I'm not the hugest Boone fan.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I wonder if the Boone to Altoona route will go through Ames. County Road R38 between Ames and Slater was repaved this summer, so it would seem like an ideal candidate for RAGBRAI.

I think the ending in Davenport should be a good time. Having the RAGBRAI arriving on the same day as the Bix 7, which usually draws about 15,000 runners (mostly local), many of whom will be highly intoxicated by the time the bikers roll in, will be entertaining.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I will be riding my first RAGBRAI and am pretty excited. I was hoping for the ending to be in Clinton (mom lives in neighboring town), but Davenport is close enough.
Are you riding with a team? If not, try and find some houses to stay at rather than staying in the public campgrounds. You'll be glad you did when you're not sharing toilets with 5,000 other people.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Are you riding with a team? If not, try and find some houses to stay at rather than staying in the public campgrounds. You'll be glad you did when you're not sharing toilets with 5,000 other people.

Yep, plan is to ride with friends that have an RV.

cydswipe

Jun 12, 2007
Maquoketa, Iowa
I think the first 2 days will thin the herd if riders don't take training seriously. the rest of the week seems like pretty regular issue RAGBRAI route, unless the final route has something out of the ordinary included. There are pros and cons, I really don't like staying in big cities like Altoona. Sure there are a lot of eating places and hotels, if that's your thing, but getting around in a metro area sucks.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the first 2 days will thin the herd if riders don't take training seriously. the rest of the week seems like pretty regular issue RAGBRAI route, unless the final route has something out of the ordinary included. There are pros and cons, I really don't like staying in big cities like Altoona. Sure there are a lot of eating places and hotels, if that's your thing, but getting around in a metro area sucks.
Yeah, I was a little bummed by the fact that we get Des Moines, Iowa City, and Davenport all on the same ride. Oh well, for me it will be nice to be close to home for a couple days so I can have some of my non-rider friends meet up and hang out with us.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
for central Iowa folks the Neal Smith trail has been redone from Sycamore (ie 66th St in Johnston) north. The trail used to be really bumpy/warn out & this year will be awesome for some hill training.. Its really the only trail thats not a rails to trails project so you can practice your hills w/o riding on roads...

Trailing on flat trails leads to fake training, which is good for your butt & liver but not your legs...

Any DM area riders on here?

I'm looking forward to the El Bait Shop rides which are going to be the 3rd Sat of the month starting in March possibly!

Help Support Us

Become a patron