Raising Canes Sucks

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Kwik Stars food mostly stinks. Outside of some of their special apps and chicken, it's just not good. The sandwiches are almost all bad. The pizza is a mediocre frozen pizza. It's a convenience and if you had to go to any effort, they'd go out of business. I do not get how it's been built up so much.
You're fired.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'm in a town with Zaxby's, Cane's and Chick Fil A.

The Canes is ALWAYS good at this location.
The Zaxbys is 50-50 whether it is good or not. I only ever go if I get a BOGO to share with my wife.
The Chik Fil A is more often than not below par compared to other Chik Fil As. This is the only Chik Fil A I have ever had that is consistently not up to par. When I was in Cedar Rapids, the Lindale one was always excellent!

Long story short, I believe you see restaurant to restaurant inconsistency. When Canes, Zaxby's, and Chik Fil A are serving at it's prime, they are all great.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Once a person has Chicken Coops bone in wings (sweet dry rub) they'll question BWW's/Wingstops. I like both those places, but Coop's are meaty and well cooked. I've now ordered the sweet rub a couple times.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I've wondered how Wingstop remains in business also.
Their service alone is terrible. I've waited 45 min+ at their merle hay location several times after ordering online. The Ames one was decent until the last time I went there. I put in an online order and was there 30-35 minutes later and they hadn't even started my wings, I had to wait another 15-20 minutes past that and it was 1:30-2 in the afternoon. I have not ordered since that's happened many many months ago.

I've had to switch up my food places in Ames lately since Pepperjax went out of business and the annoyance with wingstop. Now it's Taza and Panda and Firehouse.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Kwik Stars food mostly stinks. Outside of some of their special apps and chicken, it's just not good. The sandwiches are almost all bad. The pizza is a mediocre frozen pizza. It's a convenience and if you had to go to any effort, they'd go out of business. I do not get how it's been built up so much.
I want to agree with this but I have found myself liking their chicken more than I expect to every time. However, I think I am bias in that I've only ever needed to buy their chicken when I am super, super hungry and for whatever reason forgot my lunch that day so that might be why I feel after I eat it that it's better than it probably is.

Reactions: GoldandCardinal

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Their service alone is terrible. I've waited 45 min+ at their merle hay location several times after ordering online. The Ames one was decent until the last time I went there. I put in an online order and was there 30-35 minutes later and they hadn't even started my wings, I had to wait another 15-20 minutes past that and it was 1:30-2 in the afternoon. I have not ordered since that's happened many many months ago.

I've had to switch up my food places in Ames lately since Pepperjax went out of business and the annoyance with wingstop. Now it's Taza and Panda and Firehouse.
Ankeny location is a disaster. Never not had it be slow, something missing, or something wrong on the order. Never again will we get anything from that place.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
This article made me laugh at those saying that Cane's french fries aren't good. They ranked 3rd and should be 2nd since there really aren't any Checkers around to compare.

The menu at Raising Cane's isn't exactly what we'd call extensive. So odds are you'll end up with their crinkle cut fries in your basket no matter what combo you order—which means there's even more pressure for them to be delicious.

Thankfully, Raising Cane's has stepped up to the plate. Their fries are the Platonic ideal of a crinkle cut fry: they're crispy, fluffy, salty, and beautifully golden brown. Add in a side of Cane's sauce and we're happy campers.

Reactions: 2speedy1

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Ankeny location is a disaster. Never not had it be slow, something missing, or something wrong on the order. Never again will we get anything from that place.
Yikes, I'll make sure to never go to that location.

I hate to be negative in this post, but does anyone else constantly get their orders incorrect with restaurants?? I'd say about 75% of my wife and I's orders are wrong and it is staggering. We eat out I don't know, 1-3x weekly and so many places either forget something or have something completely wrong. I'm mind blown and understand mistakes happen, but this is an industry wide issue. I don't expect perfection, but when it occurs so much, so often, that I wonder how businesses stay afloat if they keep screwing up this much with just us. This is why I generally don't tip because of how often it happens, especially with takeout. It's crazy to me that I am more pleasantly surprised when someone gets our order correct.

Just this past week I ordered from BWW's and they completely forgot the mac n cheese (which seemed like just noodles). I'm not sure if there is a listening problem, but there has to be. The main part of their job is to listen. My wife has gone to Quiznos before and has ordered sandwiches with no bacon right to their faces only to see them put bacon on. This is why we won't leave a place without checking everything completely over because in the past we've driven off without all our food.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

I hate to be negative in this post, but does anyone else constantly get their orders incorrect with restaurants?? I'd say about 75% of my wife and I's orders are wrong and it is staggering. We eat out I don't know, 1-3x weekly and so many places either forget something or have something completely wrong. I'm mind blown and understand mistakes happen, but this is an industry wide issue. I don't expect perfection, but when it occurs so much, so often, that I wonder how businesses stay afloat if they keep screwing up this much with just us. This is why I generally don't tip because of how often it happens, especially with takeout. It's crazy to me that I am more pleasantly surprised when someone gets our order correct.

Just this past week I ordered from BWW's and they completely forgot the mac n cheese (which seemed like just noodles). I'm not sure if there is a listening problem, but there has to be. The main part of their job is to listen. My wife has gone to Quiznos before and has ordered sandwiches with no bacon right to their faces only to see them put bacon on. This is why we won't leave a place without checking everything completely over because in the past we've driven off without all our food.
I don't know how many times I've checked my food before leaving and nothing is amiss, but the one damn time I forget to check, something is wrong.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Wait. Quiznos is still a thing?!?

Still have the pepper bar??

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This article made me laugh at those saying that Cane's french fries aren't good. They ranked 3rd and should be 2nd since there really aren't any Checkers around to compare.

I think fries can vary greatly depending on how well the employees cook them and how fresh they are. I've had Canes once and the fries were terrible. They were soggy and inedible IMO. It wasn't just me. Everyone in the car thought they sucked. But I could see it might be because they were not prepared well or they just sat around in the warmer too long. Fries are always the first thing I eat because quality detoriates quickly the longer they sit around.

Reactions: houjix

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I've had that exact experience at the Merle Hay location. I one time ordered delivery, it showed up wrong, and I had to drive there to get the replacements, which were wrong at first.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I'm in a town with Zaxby's, Cane's and Chick Fil A.

The Canes is ALWAYS good at this location.
The Zaxbys is 50-50 whether it is good or not. I only ever go if I get a BOGO to share with my wife.
The Chik Fil A is more often than not below par compared to other Chik Fil As. This is the only Chik Fil A I have ever had that is consistently not up to par. When I was in Cedar Rapids, the Lindale one was always excellent!

Long story short, I believe you see restaurant to restaurant inconsistency. When Canes, Zaxby's, and Chik Fil A are serving at it's prime, they are all great.

I went to the Canes in Altoona. No taste whatsover. I've been to three Popeye's and they were all dirty and had customers nagging on the employees. Took my 12 year old son to the Popeye's on Merle Hay a few years ago, and some of the customers almost jumped over the counter to fight one of the employees. And the chicken was nothing but overcooked breading. Went to the Popeyes in Altoona and the sandwich was a really thick chunk of chicken breast that was really dry and had too much breading. To be fair, I was comparing the Popeyes chicken to Chic-fil-A. And everybody knows that isn't fair.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Once a person has Chicken Coops bone in wings (sweet dry rub) they'll question BWW's/Wingstops. I like both those places, but Coop's are meaty and well cooked. I've now ordered the sweet rub a couple times.

Pizza Pit has the best bone-in wings. RIP West Cyde wings.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Wait. Quiznos is still a thing?!?

Still have the pepper bar??
Ha, theres one in Urbandale next to the Super Target (still 3 in metro that I know of). Their hours haven't been as good since Covid and we haven't been back in awhile, but yeah still around. Contrary to some, I do like their sandwiches and don't understand how so many closed down. They have good sandwiches with decent flavor. A bar to the side with condiments? I think? I don't eat peppers like I used to in order to answer your question.

Pizza Pit has the best bone-in wings. RIP West Cyde wings.

I never did have their wings, may have to give them a try in the future. I just don't like driving to campus town when students are in Ames since it's a bigger cluster. Never had West Cyde Wings either. When did that go out?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron