Raising Canes Sucks

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Chick-fil-A has at least always been a real piece of chicken.

I got a spicy chicken sandwich at Wendy’s for the first time in years and it’s processed chicken now, in the 90s when I got it all the time it was more like what chic fil a is now.

When McDonalds uses real chicken in anything they launch an ad campaign acting like it’s the first time anybody has used unprocessed chicken. If you order chicken there you have no clue if you’re getting normal chicken or some ground up goo. The menu changes constantly.

In MCD's defense the chicken nugget has always been questionable goo.

By far the worst fast food chicken-ish nugget out there.

Wendys has a really good nugget. But don't order the spicy for small kids. Learned the hard way....for all of us

Reactions: 2speedy1

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ok hear me out. I'm not saying it's the best but it's surprisingly good and it's better than Slim Chickens.

Kwik Star tenders. The meat is tender and moist with some flavor. Breading isn't the crispiest but not bad. With the sweet and spicy sauce and factor in the price I would take it over Raising Cane's.
KS chicken is really solid.

Reactions: chadly82

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Chick-fil-A has at least always been a real piece of chicken.

I got a spicy chicken sandwich at Wendy’s for the first time in years and it’s processed chicken now, in the 90s when I got it all the time it was more like what chic fil a is now.

When McDonalds uses real chicken in anything they launch an ad campaign acting like it’s the first time anybody has used unprocessed chicken. If you order chicken there you have no clue if you’re getting normal chicken or some ground up goo. The menu changes constantly.

Raisin Canes uses chicken tenderloins. Only 2 per bird. Never frozen. Price wise, this cut is more expensive than the breast meat. And is a premium cut. McDonalds is mechanically separated meat from anywhere that is processed and formed into a shape. Agree that you don’t know what you are getting.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don't love in N out but to pay a decent price for actual food puts it above most other alternatives here.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Seems we have shifted slightly and BBops has been a theme? Fries are awful. Burgers are the best ever made. Haven’t explored a lot of their menu other than burgers because, well, why?
BBops fries are great, I mean, for standard fries none seasoned. I think they stand up to any.

But seasoned fries or curly seasoned fries they are not going to compare to.

But I think some on here are trying to compare apples to oranges. You cant compare spicy to non spicy and you cant compare seasoned to non seasoned etc.

I also think some on here must have grew up eating caviar from silver spoons. Or are extremely picky. I mean you dont go to Burger King for gourmet food, you go there for a decent burger, fast and cheap. (at least when compared to a sit down restaurant).

Its not really fair trying to compare RC, Popeyes, Zaxbys etc to Applebees, Hickory Park, or Le Bernardin.

If you want to compare RC chicken strips to another fast food non spicy strips, its one thing.

Then again when I was a kid we would go to McDs as a treat maybe a couple times a year. We would pack our own lunches when we went places like a zoo or amusement park and go out and eat in the parking lot. Sometimes even packing our own lunch on shopping trips. We might get to share a Bottle (glass) of pop on a Saturday evening every so often. Take out pizza was maybe once in a month treat. My mom made our own birthday cakes. And so on. We ate boiled potatoes, burgers (many times with regular bread for bun) or roast, and some corn, a lot. And we cleaned our plates or didnt leave the table. So I guess I look at things a bit differently than some.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
BBops fries are great, I mean, for standard fries none seasoned. I think they stand up to any.

But I think some on here are trying to compare apples to oranges. You cant compare spicy to non spicy and you cant compare seasoned to non seasoned etc.

I also think some on here must have grew up eating caviar from silver spoons. Or are extremely picky. I mean you dont go to Burger King for gourmet food, you go there for a decent burger, fast and cheap. (at least when compared to a sit down restaurant).

Its not really fair trying to compare RC, Popeyes, Zaxbys etc to Applebees, Hickory Park, or Le Bernardin.

If you want to compare RC chicken strips to another fast food non spicy strips, its one thing.

Then again when I was a kid we would go to McDs as a treat maybe a couple times a year. We would pack our own lunches when we went places like a zoo or amusement park and go out and eat in the parking lot. Sometimes even packing our own lunch on shopping trips. We might get to share a Bottle (glass) of pop on a Saturday evening every so often. Take out pizza was maybe once in a month treat. My mom made our own birthday cakes. And so on. We ate boiled potatoes, burgers (many times with regular bread for bun) or roast, and some corn, a lot. And we cleaned our plates or didnt leave the table. So I guess I look at things a bit differently than some.

My mom had a cereal rule where sugar couldn’t be in first three ingredients, limited the choices but I actually grew to like a lot of them.

Reactions: 2speedy1

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

I don’t think your childhood was much different than most like you seem to think it was.

Reactions: Angie and 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
My mom had a cereal rule where sugar couldn’t be in first three ingredients, limited the choices but I actually grew to like a lot of them.
Pretty sure my moms rule was....whatever was cheap or on sale.

We grew up with a lot of stuff in white packages, with block lettering. My mom used to shop at those old warehouse stores where things were on pallets. But ultimately almost everything we ate was home made from scratch.

We would eat cereal during the week etc, but weekends it was pancakes (scratch no box here) or fried eggs etc. My dad liked pancakes or fried egg sandwiches. Birthday parties were hot dishes or something. Maybe some plain chips out of a box that said potato chips in big block letters. And to drink probably some Hawaiian punch with a little 7up added for effect.

The only seasonings my mom owned was Salt and Pepper.

Reactions: VeloClone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I don’t think your childhood was much different than most like you seem to think it was.
Oh I know there are a lot on here with very similar experiences as mine. But there for sure are some that had a very different experience, it shows.

My guess is a lot of it depends on what generation people are from and rural vs urban upbringing.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Pretty sure my moms rule was....whatever was cheap or on sale.

We grew up with a lot of stuff in white packages, with block lettering. My mom used to shop at those old warehouse stores where things were on pallets. But ultimately almost everything we ate was home made from scratch.

We would eat cereal during the week etc, but weekends it was pancakes (scratch no box here) or fried eggs etc. My dad liked pancakes or fried egg sandwiches. Birthday parties were hot dishes or something. Maybe some plain chips out of a box that said potato chips in big block letters. And to drink probably some Hawaiian punch with a little 7up added for effect.

The only seasonings my mom owned was Salt and Pepper.

Everyone our age had this common experience coming off the inflation crisis of the late 70's.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Raisin Canes uses chicken tenderloins. Only 2 per bird. Never frozen. Price wise, this cut is more expensive than the breast meat. And is a premium cut. McDonalds is mechanically separated meat from anywhere that is processed and formed into a shape. Agree that you don’t know what you are getting.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I love it.

It’s good fast food fried chicken, if you expect it to be anymore than that, that’s on you.

It’s like when I heard people from the Midwest complain about In-N-Out not living up to the hype after the first time they try it. Well yeah, it’s just a good fast food burger.

At the end of the day, if someone is expecting fast food to be anything more than fast food, that’s a personal problem.
I absolutely love Raisin Canes. Some of ya’ll are crazy. After it (correctly) rose to popularity, it suddenly then switched to be ‘cool’ to talk smack against it.

The chicken is fantastic, and yes the sauce (and bread, slaw, etc. - the entire package) is glorious. Our entire family considers it an absolute treat, and the very best of the best of fast food chicken fingers.

Far better than Slim Chickens. Better than Popeyes and Chick-fil-a, etc. The only comparison at its level is indeed Charlotte’s Kitchen, which is also really impressive (although I tend to lean ‘Sandwich’ when going there).

We’re very thankful to now have 3 Raisin Canes in the metro!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

McDonalds uses chicken breasts for their nuggets. They just grind it up.

• Haha
Reactions: flycy and 2speedy1

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I absolutely love Raisin Canes. Some of ya’ll are crazy. After it (correctly) rose to popularity, it suddenly then switched to be ‘cool’ to talk smack against it.

The chicken is fantastic, and yes the sauce (and bread, slaw, etc. - the entire package) is glorious. Our entire family considers it an absolute treat, and the very best of the best of fast food chicken fingers.

Far better than Slim Chickens. Better than Popeyes and Chick-fil-a, etc. The only comparison at its level is indeed Charlotte’s Kitchen, which is also really impressive (although I tend to lean ‘Sandwich’ when going there).

We’re very thankful to now have 3 Raisin Canes in the metro!

In the rest of your life do you enjoy lots of flavors or do you wish the ONE sauce was life’s only flavor everywhere?

If you couldn’t have the ONE sauce and had to eat Canes dry would you still like that their chicken is not seasoned?

Genuine questions. No sarcasm. Appreciate any insight into the mono-flavor lifestyle.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Don’t if it’s been mentioned, but Canes is way better if you actually eat it at the restaurant. Chicken is crispier and fries are way less soggy

Isn’t that all fries and all fried chicken? The container allowing moisture to escape or not makes a big difference with chicken I think. Fries pretty much always suck if you don’t eat right away.

Pizza is a better takeout and delivery food for sure, at least american pizza.

Help Support Us

Become a patron