Raising Canes Sucks

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Oh there's definitely a difference in fry quality from chain to chain. Anyone who's had In N Out fries can tell you that their fries are absolute garbage. I just don't think the fries at Canes are much better or worse than at Slim's. They're a wash, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm convinced In N Out has ****** fries on purpose as part of their gimmick.

Reactions: BACyclone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Looks like a 5 strip meal at Popeye's (Merle Hay location) is $14.50. 6 strip meal at Canes (86th St) is $15.45. Seems to be pretty similar.

Neither as bad as 5 Guys...
Thanks for the math, wasn't sure how close prices were.

I do have to say it's amazing how much prices have risen at fast food places vs nice sit-down places. While there are exceptions (Dave and Busters is expensive as **** for what you get), we can eat at Chili's, On The Border, or Texas Roadhouse for less than some fast food places anymore.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

If you want a real WTF try their milkshakes. The burgers are good but the milkshakes are shockingly bad, I mean how can a milkshake even be bad? The fries are different but I could see why some like them, they are fresh at least.

The real reason In N Out is massively popular with locals creating traffic jams in every neighborhood is you can feed your family for $10-20 less than going to McDonalds. Dead serious the other day I saw a McDonalds in CA charging $4.99 for a medium french fries. Same price as the burger at In N Out.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If you want a real WTF try their milkshakes. The burgers are good but the milkshakes are shockingly bad, I mean how can a milkshake even be bad? The fries are different but I could see why some like them, they are fresh at least.

The real reason In N Out is massively popular with locals creating traffic jams in every neighborhood is you can feed your family for $10-20 less than going to McDonalds. Dead serious the other day I saw a McDonalds in CA charging $4.99 for a medium french fries. Same price as the burger at In N Out.

This is the appeal of In N Out. The burgers I would say are above average, the fries suck, but nice that they are made fresh. But the cost is low, which drives the overall value proposition higher.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

I've never done a milkshake and I guess I won't now...

McDonalds has gotten ridiculously pricey especially considering how terrible it is generally.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've never forgiven Chic-Fil-A for getting rid of their coleslaw. Plus waffle fries suck. I can agree their chicken is superior.

Soggy cfa fries are the worst, crispy if you eat right there are pretty good. They opened a cfa almost on my block so it’s like I have no choice to resist.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

McDonalds has gotten ridiculously pricey especially considering how terrible it is generally.

I’ve been making double smash burgers at home in a cast iron pan that are incredible for less than half the price of mcds. I can cook them faster than driving to the closest location. I really don’t get how they stay in business at the new high price. I’ll get a desperate coffee there if I’m tired on a road trip.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames

The key to McD's now is to use the app. They almost always have something like a 25% of entire order coupon that makes the prices more palatable.

• Informative
Reactions: Jer

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I’ve been making double smash burgers at home in a cast iron pan that are incredible for less than half the price of mcds. I can cook them faster than driving to the closest location. I really don’t get how they stay in business at the new high price. I’ll get a desperate coffee there if I’m tired on a road trip.

McD's breakfast burrito is passable if you are in a real pinch, and not terribly expensive. Just about everything else on their menu there's going to be a combination of higher quality and lower price just about anywhere else. I would roll with Subway long before settling McD. I have successfully trained my children to accept Culver's anytime they want a burger (instead of McD's). I have, however had to explain to my youngest child a couple times while I will never, ever, never, ever consider stopping at a Burger King.

I would probably have to be in some kind of shocking coffee desert to even consider stopping at a McD for a coffee, you are seriously adventurous!

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
The key to McD's now is to use the app. They almost always have something like a 25% of entire order coupon that makes the prices more palatable.

Last time I remember stopping at a McD for a meal it was really weird, maybe cringe for me that there were zero people in line to order, but they waved at my family to use the large touchscreen kiosks to order our food. Like I'm here, can we just talk to the person behind the counter? Maybe I am an old fart now.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You might be on to something. It feels like you have to actively try to make fries that bad, especially considering the quality of their burgers. Total incongruity.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

I think you under-estimate how lazy the average American is. You might be able to make it at home cheaper & faster, but...
- You need to have the ingredients on hand, most of which will go bad in a week or less (beef, buns, lettuce/tomato)
- You need to clean the pan & any other utensils/plates afterwards

I'm all for cooking at home as much as possible, but admit to picking up McD's occasionally when we're out of groceries & short on time. Kids choose it more than the adults, we'd rather go just about anywhere else (& do, typically).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think you under-estimate how lazy the average American is. You might be able to make it at home cheaper & faster, but...
- You need to have the ingredients on hand, most of which will go bad in a week or less (beef, buns, lettuce/tomato)
- You need to clean the pan & any other utensils/plates afterwards

I'm all for cooking at home as much as possible, but admit to picking up McD's occasionally when we're out of groceries & short on time. Kids choose it more than the adults, we'd rather go just about anywhere else (& do, typically).

Would you go to an alternate mcDs that only had burgers and fries, no massive marketing campaigns, but it was about $3-4 cheaper per person? I think they could be flirting with losing their dominance.

If you look at the massive portion, Canes is like half the cost of McDs and I'm sure that's part of their formula of having devoted fans the same as In and Out.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Last time I remember stopping at a McD for a meal it was really weird, maybe cringe for me that there were zero people in line to order, but they waved at my family to use the large touchscreen kiosks to order our food. Like I'm here, can we just talk to the person behind the counter? Maybe I am an old fart now.

From the few times i've been there, everyone works in the kitchen there now, with one person usually tasked to go up to the register or hand out orders. So if you're ordering from them at a counter (or needing them for something) it means they can't be working on making food. So they'll try to get you to order on the kiosk so they can get back to the kitchen.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
From the few times i've been there, everyone works in the kitchen there now, with one person usually tasked to go up to the register or hand out orders. So if you're ordering from them at a counter (or needing them for something) it means they can't be working on making food. So they'll try to get you to order on the kiosk so they can get back to the kitchen.

An anthropologist could study how people will wait in line in the car for 20 minutes instead of going inside to wait for 5 minutes on a beautiful sunny day.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone