Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Two of my jobs are wrapped up for 2023. As a result, I had epic levels of motivation today for "no jobs" day.
Kiddo and I chatted a lot. Sometimes we talked about doing stuff, then didn't.

Ate around 2. Couldn't be bothered to try before that. Brought down my Kindle to read, but couldn't be bothered.
Turned on the TV. Didn't pick a show and it shut itself off eventually. Had a couple of household things I planned to do. Picked up the legal pad for one. Couldn't be bothered to go further. The other was an organizing thing that I looked at, then stayed on the couch.

I'm pretty impressed with my "effort" today.
#winning

Reactions: CycloneErik

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lume commercials make me really wonder if people I'm around have just smelled really bad this whole time and I didn't notice.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Two of my jobs are wrapped up for 2023. As a result, I had epic levels of motivation today for "no jobs" day.
Kiddo and I chatted a lot. Sometimes we talked about doing stuff, then didn't.

Ate around 2. Couldn't be bothered to try before that. Brought down my Kindle to read, but couldn't be bothered.
Turned on the TV. Didn't pick a show and it shut itself off eventually. Had a couple of household things I planned to do. Picked up the legal pad for one. Couldn't be bothered to go further. The other was an organizing thing that I looked at, then stayed on the couch.

I'm pretty impressed with my "effort" today.

Sloth Day! Boxster approves.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Enjoying the other talented former air traffic controller on the various local morning shows this morning. Our favorite welder may know him.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I just realized that my wife's extended family Christmas is on Saturday which happens to of course be Festivus. Debating walking in and yelling "I GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE. AND NOW. YOU ARE GOING TO HEAR ABOUT THEM."
Any updates on the hipster family(?) I thought that was your relatives

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Any updates on the hipster family(?) I thought that was your relatives
OH the main hipsterish guy is long gone. They divorced maybe two ish years ago? She had been dating a guy for a little over a year. Overall good guy. Has been in and out of jail a couple of times since she has been with him but seems to be on the right track. They couldn't afford the house they were renting so they moved in with my in-laws. And as she announced a couple of days ago she is pregnant.

• Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: BCClone and NWICY

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I like trying to figure out personalized license plates. This one has me stumped.

JT1MR18

Any sleuths out there who can figure it out?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I like trying to figure out personalized license plates. This one has me stumped.

JT1MR18

Any sleuths out there who can figure it out?
I thought T1MR could be timer, lost on the rest for now.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I didn't mind beams or even 2x4s but the time Velo sent me to pull up the flags in Hilton and it was just 2x4s with a view of the floor 80 foot below, I froze. I got another worker that was in the ceiling with me to shimmy out and get them.
I'm pretty sure those are 2x6s or more likely 2x8s and to be fair, I wasn't terribly comfortable out in the open areas myself.

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Better you than me. When taking down the speaker towers at Jack trice for a concert, they grunters that were pulling the rods off the center were not harnessed or anything. one slipped and grabbed a loose rod and was hanging on literally for his life. He was screaming and going nuts, those of us not up on top couldn't do anything but watch and hope it turned out okay; thankfully it did.
A lot of the things we did back then simply wouldn't fly nowadays. I never saw a climber safety next to a truss ladder back in the day. Not too many years later there wasn't a show out there that didn't have it as standard equipment. There weren't any safeties on trusses hanging off of chain climbers. Now they will throw you off of a call if you don't clip into the cables across the top of every truss.

It's all for the better, but certainly different. After I left Hilton I went to work at another very old arena for a couple of years. When I went up in the ceiling there once they mentioned that they had been paying the widow of one worker for something like 50 years because he fell from the ceiling and died. Not exactly a safe business back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.