Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Just did Wordle in 3. Cool because I try it so rarely anymore.

Reactions: CloneLawman

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Roofing crew is working again today. No weekends for these guys. Specialty crew from Florida doing the fancy cedar roof on one of the nearby ritzy houses. Custom stuff with rounded edges at soffits and wavey patterns on the roof lines. Been at it for a couple of weeks now. Bet this is a $100K roof.

1713109114879.png

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Roofing crew is working again today. No weekends for these guys. Specialty crew from Florida doing the fancy cedar roof on one of the nearby ritzy houses. Custom stuff with rounded edges at soffits and wavey patterns on the roof lines. Been at it for a couple of weeks now. Bet this is a $100K roof.

View attachment 127445
Think I prefer functional (and cheaper). Once it's in place, who really looks at roofs? Or maybe that's a short person thing...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Think I prefer functional (and cheaper). Once it's in place, who really looks at roofs? Or maybe that's a short person thing...

It's a big ole rambling English Tudor. The funky roof is sort of the defining feature of the house. Well, that and English telephone booth in the front garden! I've only seen two or three roofs like it in the Twin Cities in the 40 plus years I've lived here. This is the second replacement I've seen on it. Can't imagine the hail damaged it THAT much. First one was after a fire. That crew, from Colorado, had equipment on site to custom steam/bend the shingles.

Observation, I have not seen a single non-Hispanic roofing crew in the hood yet. Every house is getting a new roof after the golf ball ball sized hail so I've seen dozens of crews last fall and this spring already. Some of the guys are just laborers but the guys working the custom shingle job are real craftsmen. Pretty impressed with their work.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
It's a big ole rambling English Tudor. The funky roof is sort of the defining feature of the house. Well, that and English telephone booth in the front garden! I've only seen two or three roofs like it in the Twin Cities in the 40 plus years I've lived here. This is the second replacement I've seen on it. Can't imagine the hail damaged it THAT much. First one was after a fire. That crew, from Colorado, had equipment on site to custom steam/bend the shingles.

Observation, I have not seen a single non-Hispanic roofing crew in the hood yet. Every house is getting a new roof after the golf ball ball sized hail so I've seen dozens of crews last fall and this spring already. Some of the guys are just laborers but the guys working the custom shingle job are real craftsmen. Pretty impressed with their work.
I would estimate 65% of the houses in this town and the close-by rural homes like ours have had their roofs replaced in the past year after a very damaging hail storm that lingered (I put a picture on here with our deck buried in several inches of hailstones the size of golf balls).
The Guatemalan guys that did our roof were amazing. We have a LOT of roof between the house/garage, the shop, the gazebo and the storage shed. The main crew was here for two days, strip down to replacement. Then a few came back for the finishing touches the third day. They flew across the roof like crazy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would estimate 65% of the houses in this town and the close-by rural homes like ours have had their roofs replaced in the past year after a very damaging hail storm that lingered (I put a picture on here with our deck buried in several inches of hailstones the size of golf balls).
The Guatemalan guys that did our roof were amazing. We have a LOT of roof between the house/garage, the shop, the gazebo and the storage shed. The main crew was here for two days, strip down to replacement. Then a few came back for the finishing touches the third day. They flew across the roof like crazy.
Our church just got a new roof in march, steel shingles so sealing was not a concern. It is at minimum a 12/12 pitch. These guys would just grab onto a rope that was hanging from the top peak and run up and down loosely hanging onto it. I probably would have been gassed out climbing it one time.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
When making baked beans I'm pretty sure my wife and daughter see the chunk of bacon and think it's something bad or weird or just something to be avoided in general. I always go last, and the chunk of bacon is always in there. It happened again tonight. And I'm thankful.

Reactions: NWICY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

A couple of the neighbor kids have been working on roofing crews the last couple of years. They've said the crews they worked with were about half Mexican/Other Latino and about half ex-con.

Reactions: wxman1

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
When making baked beans I'm pretty sure my wife and daughter see the chunk of bacon and think it's something bad or weird or just something to be avoided in general. I always go last, and the chunk of bacon is always in there. It happened again tonight. And I'm thankful.
I use smoked hamhocks in my pinto beans, along with a lot of other good stuff like cayenne, tobasco, bay leaves, garlic, onions, black pepper...
When the beans are done the meat is falling off the bones, so we remove the bones & excess fat and eat the meat with the beans. Mmmmmmm...

Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Okay, so I was WAY off on the fancy shake wave roof cost. Chatted with neighbors who are getting their regular cedar shake roof done. $180K! JFC. I mean it's a BIG house but won't have dreamed it would be that expensive :oops: Means the fancy one is more likely $300K or more.