Re-al Mitchell

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Split starting duties w another qb as first stringer was down w shoulder injury.
Has there ever been a time when alternating QBs like that produced and offense that was efficient and scored a lot of points?

Reactions: Scott34

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Has there ever been a time when alternating QBs like that produced and offense that was efficient and scored a lot of points?

Didn't Kansas & Mangino do it well during their orange bowl year?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If he would have just realized he should have been a WR or DB in college, he might still be here. He's just not D1 QB material.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
If he would have just realized he should have been a WR or DB in college, he might still be here. He's just not D1 QB material.
It's not good teammate material, it's me material. It's unfortunate because he appeared to have a ton of talent. I like that he believes in himself, but at the same time, you gotta do what's best for the team.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's not good teammate material, it's me material. It's unfortunate because he appeared to have a ton of talent. I like that he believes in himself, but at the same time, you gotta do what's best for the team.
Wanting to be a qb doesn't make him a bad team mate. It's not like he quit on the team midway through the season. He didn't bash coaches or players on his way out. He didn't do anything that hurt his team or the university.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
He turned down other schools because they wanted him to move positions. He came to us because he didn’t want to do that and wanted to be a quarterback. There’s no shame in chasing your dreams, and it’s dumb to hate on the kid for doing it.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
He turned down other schools because they wanted him to move positions. He came to us because he didn’t want to do that and wanted to be a quarterback. There’s no shame in chasing your dreams, and it’s dumb to hate on the kid for doing it.
Not hating on the kid at all. Like I said, I like that he believes in himself. I hold nothing against the kid. However, sometimes the best thing for yourself is to trust that others know better for you than you know for yourself.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Wanting to be a qb doesn't make him a bad team mate. It's not like he quit on the team midway through the season. He didn't bash coaches or players on his way out. He didn't do anything that hurt his team or the university.
Didn't call him a bad teammate, a good teammate does what's best for the team. A good teammate sacrifices more for the team than themselves. A bad teammate does what you said. I agree, he didn't do those things, but he could have made us even better had he focused on his skills that made him dynamic as a player, not a qb.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Didn't call him a bad teammate, a good teammate does what's best for the team. A good teammate sacrifices more for the team than themselves. A bad teammate does what you said. I agree, he didn't do those things, but he could have made us even better had he focused on his skills that made him dynamic as a player, not a qb.

He didn't help the team by filling his role as backup QB?

Not buying in that he wasn't a team guy.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Not hating on the kid at all. Like I said, I like that he believes in himself. I hold nothing against the kid. However, sometimes the best thing for yourself is to trust that others know better for you than you know for yourself.
Calling him a bad teammate is definitely hating on him.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You really going to try to parse words here? You said "It's not good teammate material, it's me material." In other words, he's selfish, and generally how one would describe a "bad" teammate. You unfairly question his character. I'm sure you are going to continue to argue how somehow you didn't refer to him in such a way, but you're wrong. Have at it.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
You really going to try to parse words here? You said "It's not good teammate material, it's me material." In other words, he's selfish, and generally how one would describe a "bad" teammate. You unfairly question his character. I'm sure you are going to continue to argue how somehow you didn't refer to him in such a way, but you're wrong. Have at it.
Yes I'm going to parse words because your interpretation of my words is not the words I said. It is what it is. I know what I mean. I should mention, "me" mentality is not bad imo. It comes down to intention. He probably believed it was best for the team.

Last edited:

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
He didn't help the team by filling his role as backup QB?

Not buying in that he wasn't a team guy.
It's like Joel Lanning. If Joel would have stayed at qb instead on linebacker, it would not have made him a bad teammate. Instead he did what was best for the team and switched over. He could have stayed at qb and just worked on those skills but he was still going to be a backup. If he didn't do what he did, our team wouldn't have gotten to their full potential. All I'm saying is Mitchell could have done the same thing.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's like Joel Lanning. If Joel would have stayed at qb instead on linebacker, it would not have made him a bad teammate. Instead he did what was best for the team and switched over. He could have stayed at qb and just worked on those skills but he was still going to be a backup. If he didn't do what he did, our team wouldn't have gotten to their full potential. All I'm saying is Mitchell could have done the same thing.

You're assuming Ra-al would've excelled in another role and that the team wouldn't need his skills as a quality back up QB.

Maybe Lanning was a great team guy as were Derrick Walker and Stevie Johnson (maybe apples to oranges on that one), but no reason to say Re-al wasn't a team guy.

There just isn't.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I'd have to see how actually efficient they were but Ohio State in 1996 had Joe Germaine and Stanley Jackson switching and they went 11-1.

Guys like Orlando Pace and Andy Katzenmoyer probably helped, too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
OU had Blake Bell (The Belldozer) come in frequently.