Read T.J. Otzelberger's contract here

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Nice little incentives.

The one odd thing though, is winning the Big 12 tournament gets you more than winning a National Championship?

Winning the NCAA tournament should get you more than a weeks pay. Granted, you've probably received a lot of those bonuses up to that point (at least all the NCAA tournament incentives), but still, 1 week seems a little cheap to me.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines
I would assume if they did win the NCAA championship, his base salary would skyrocket. Anyway it is 6 weeks worth of pay if they win, almost $30,000 on top of his regular salary. That is insane!

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The one odd thing though, is winning the Big 12 tournament gets you more than winning a National Championship?

Winning the NCAA tournament should get you more than a weeks pay. Granted, you've probably received a lot of those bonuses up to that point (at least all the NCAA tournament incentives), but still, 1 week seems a little cheap to me.

If you think about it, he would get 6 weeks of pay for winning a national title. 2 weeks getting to the tourney, and one weeks pay for sweet 16 and up. Even though winning the national title is one 1 weeks worth of pay, there are the other 5 weeks worth of pay getting there.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Interesting that the incentive to win the Big 12 tourney is double what it is to win the regular season championship.

Yeah but he doesn't get the NCAA tourney birth incentive if they win the B12 tourney. So if you win the regular season championship, lose the B12 tourney you are at the same incentive as if you lose the B12 tourney but not the regular season. Best payout is to win both.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If you think about it, he would get 6 weeks of pay for winning a national title. 2 weeks getting to the tourney, and one weeks pay for sweet 16 and up. Even though winning the national title is one 1 weeks worth of pay, there are the other 5 weeks worth of pay getting there.

The first 2 weeks is only if you make it as an at large. So if you win the Big 12 Tourney and the NCAA Championship, he would only get 8 weeks of extra pay.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah but he doesn't get the NCAA tourney birth incentive if they win the B12 tourney. So if you win the regular season championship, lose the B12 tourney you are at the same incentive as if you lose the B12 tourney but not the regular season. Best payout is to win both.

True, but still, they are giving equal value to the Big 12 Tourney championship and the regular season championship. Regular season championship should be worth more, IMO.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
True, but still, they are giving equal value to the Big 12 Tourney championship and the regular season championship. Regular season championship should be worth more, IMO.

Duh, the Big 12 tourney bonus is paid by the Kansas City Beer Distributor Coop!

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
before he was associate head coach, no such title this time? For comparison, St Johns just gave Roehrson a 5 year $450,000 contract to be associate head coach. That may be the biggest asst coach contract I've ever heard of in bball

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
1 year contract?

I don't think thats crazy in cbball. Regardless, its pretty well known TJ is looking to snag a HC job or at the least be open to any job that may help him get a HC gig eventually. I wouldn't expect him to sign anything more than a couple years here. Not knocking the guy, he just clearly has ambitions, cant blame him for that.