Reading The Tea Leafs for ISU: Welcome to the MAC

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
If/when UT, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, and CU leave for the expanded Pac 10 the future of ISU athletics looks very dim.

Mizzou to an expanded Big 10 is a 100% lock. NU to the Big 10 will be a lock if/when the 6 above leave for the Pac.

That leaves ISU, KU, KSU, and Baylor holding the bag. From there I think Baylor is dead in the water.

I 'HOPE' ISU, KU, and KSU stick together and join an expanded Mtn West, but there is a BIG BIG problem. The Mtn West currently has 9 teams and they will be adding Boise St in the next month making it 10. If they only expand to 12 they will take KU and KSU as a package deal leaving ISU out to dry...

That would leave ISU to join either the WAC or the MAC...

Long story short.... in two years ISU will be a member of the MAC and everything we love will be dead and buried.. RIP Iowa State!

S

st8

but what if the Canadian football league invites us in? we haven't heard much from them yet and that's just their style; lay in the weeds and then at the last minute make their move. I've been thinking aboot it and it would be great!

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
If/when UT, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, and CU leave for the expanded Pac 10 the future of ISU athletics looks very dim.

Mizzou to an expanded Big 10 is a 100% lock. NU to the Big 10 will be a lock if/when the 6 above leave for the Pac.

That leaves ISU, KU, KSU, and Baylor holding the bag. From there I think Baylor is dead in the water.

I 'HOPE' ISU, KU, and KSU stick together and join an expanded Mtn West, but there is a BIG BIG problem. The Mtn West currently has 9 teams and they will be adding Boise St in the next month making it 10. If they only expand to 12 they will take KU and KSU as a package deal leaving ISU out to dry...

Long story short.... in two years ISU will be a member of the MAC and everything we love will be dead and buried.. RIP Iowa State!

Overreaction anyone? No way does ISU end up in the MAC. I guess mark me up as one who doesn't think ISU will turn out to bad after all is said and done.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

SO, you don't think that the MWC would go up to 12 or 16? Or, you don't think that if ISU, KU, KSU and Baylor invited Houston, TCU, Utah, BYU, they wouldn't join? I think that you're going a little overboard digging that hole.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
ISU won't end up in the MAC. ISU, KSU, KU, Baylor, and Boise create a 14 team MWC, which gets AQ Status, and maybe can push for 5 Super Conferences, instead of 4. Why does there have to be 4?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
This is a joke right? The MWC would grab ISU in a heartbeat.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Just last night I believe M&M were discussing the possibility of the Big 10 only going ND, Rutgers and NU. Mizzou being left at the altar.

(Might not have the schools right, but the point was Mizzou getting left out)

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

Yeah, that is a problem, everyone thinks the Mountain West wants ISU. I still think this is way down the road and not likely anyway. But there is no certainty the MWC would take ISU if they had 12.

That said, people act like ISU is this rinky dink school. ISU is a huge school, with a lot of dollars (maybe not relative to Texas, but still a large school), I think there will be a home somewhere.

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
SO, you don't think that the MWC would go up to 12 or 16? Or, you don't think that if ISU, KU, KSU and Baylor invited Houston, TCU, Utah, BYU, they wouldn't join? I think that you're going a little overboard digging that hole.

I hope your right as an inclusion in expanded MWC would be much better than the MAC, but in this scenario the existing teams in the MWC would carry more weight than the remaining 4 from the Big 12. I think if the MWC goes to 16 we would be in. If not...

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Just last night I believe M&M were discussing the possibility of the Big 10 only going ND, Rutgers and NU. Mizzou being left at the altar.

(Might not have the schools right, but the point was Mizzou getting left out)

I still think Nebraska isn't going anywhere, they don't offer the B12 anything.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
ISU won't end up in the MAC. ISU, KSU, KU, Baylor, and Boise create a 14 team MWC, which gets AQ Status, and maybe can push for 5 Super Conferences, instead of 4. Why does there have to be 4?

This, but it won't be the MWC, it will be the Big XII still. They will probably also add Houston and Rice to make 16 teams.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames

1. leaves
2. Just because those teams may be invited, it doesn't mean they will accept (Don't buy into the Deace, Miller, Perrault hype yet). Everything will likely hinge on UT.
3. Baylor is not DITW. They will likely pair up with TCU, and there is still SMU, and Houston
4. If these super conferences do happen, and ISU is left, there will be several others in the same boat. They may not be current BCS schools, but they are good schools like Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, etc...
5. I would hope no one loves ISU only because of the conference they play in....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Heres my thing. I think if the Pac 10 went to 16, the Big Ten would follow suit. I think that gives us some sort of chance.

I also agree with Al. If that conference is developed, it's an AQ conference.

G-Rock

Nov 9, 2006
This is a joke right? The MWC would grab ISU in a heartbeat.
I'm not as convinced. ISU doesn't really help the MWC make their auto-bid case, and they are already adding Boise State.

The geography doesn't fit either.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
The loser mentality around here gets really old. Thank goodness our administration doesn't have the same outlook. Who knows what will happen.

Z

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, that is a problem, everyone thinks the Mountain West wants ISU. I still think this is way down the road and not likely anyway. But there is no certainty the MWC would take ISU if they had 12.

That said, people act like ISU is this rinky dink school. ISU is a huge school, with a lot of dollars (maybe not relative to Texas, but still a large school), I think there will be a home somewhere.

Come on. Why wouldn't they? We bring up their academics. Our football is on the rise, but not considered a huge threat to their top and we still would have been a decent basketball program in their conference last year.

I do agree though, I don't think it comes to that.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009

Must be around the UT too much. When this is all said and done there will be 4-5 16 team conferences. The MWC is not just going to 12 :biglaugh: