Realignment and the fate of State hoops

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
We've hashed, rehashed and mashed the outcome for football and the university in general. I did a quick check and couldn't find any threads on basketball. I think that of all our sports, men's basketball would have the best shot at staying relavent. We'd likely compete in a lesser conference, but "mid majors" can be powerful. Just ask Butler. However, I don't think we'd be a "mid major." If we're in a conference with KU, I think we would pioneer a new catagory of ______ major. Thoughts on the survival of State hoops?

Reactions: cyfanatic

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
We've hashed, rehashed and mashed the outcome for football and the university in general. I did a quick check and couldn't find any threads on basketball. I think that of all our sports, men's basketball would have the best shot at staying relavent. We'd likely compete in a lesser conference, but "mid majors" can be powerful. Just ask Butler. However, I don't think we'd be a "mid major." If we're in a conference with KU, I think we would pioneer a new catagory of ______ major. Thoughts on the survival of State hoops?

mid major.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
KU in a mid major conference wouldn't be that different than Memphis in Conference USA. Memphis' presence certainly doesn't make Conference USA a non mid major

CUIClone

Nov 11, 2009
As long as KU is in the conference ISU will be fine. I don't buy the Memphis comparison. Just because Coach Cal cheated there for a few years doesn't make them a basketball power. KU is a top 5 program all time.

Reactions: dcxme1183

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
That's what I love about college basketball. Does it really matter whether you are in the Big Ten, Atlantic Ten, Missouri Valley, West Coast Conference, etc.? Everybody has a shot to win it all. Go Cyclones!!!

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
If there's a major shakedown and we're left scrambling, I'd like to see a conference made up of some other left overs.

ISU/KU/KSU from the B12, and then why not Memphis, Cincy, possibly Louisville and then some schools like Houston, TCU, potentially Baylor or Colorado, and if you need fillers, and you can always go after Tulsa, SMU, Northern Ill, Toledo and other schools from CUSA and/or the MAC.

Farfetched, maybe, but that's still a very good basketball conference and a respectable, though average football conference.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
now that calipari is gone memphis will soon be seen as a midmajor again.

not with the way pastner recruits.

memphis, gonzaga, butler, xavier all have great programs/fan support/wins. we could do that too. heck, our schedule may actually improve non-conference since all the big guys in the b12 take our slot for maui, pre season nit, etc.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If there's a major shakedown and we're left scrambling, I'd like to see a conference made up of some other left overs.

ISU/KU/KSU from the B12, and then why not Memphis, Cincy, possibly Louisville and then some schools like Houston, TCU, potentially Baylor or Colorado, and if you need fillers, and you can always go after Tulsa, SMU, Northern Ill, Toledo and other schools from CUSA and/or the MAC.

Farfetched, maybe, but that's still a very good basketball conference and a respectable, though average football conference.

I like this way of thinking, I'd also like to see us poach Marquette and DePaul if the big east is dismantled

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That's what I love about college basketball. Does it really matter whether you are in the Big Ten, Atlantic Ten, Missouri Valley, West Coast Conference, etc.? Everybody has a shot to win it all. Go Cyclones!!!

It matters.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If the remaining Big12 adds the select MWC teams discussed, then it won't be a mid-major. Granted, it won't be as strong as the Pac10, ACC, or Big East, but it could be on par with conferences like the SEC. Kansas, Kansas State, New Mexico, Utah, Baylor, and ISU when Hoiberg fixes our program will make for a pretty decent conference. The only issue is that it may be a little more top heavy than the Big12 that we're used to. That makes for an easier conference season, but it will still get the respect from the NCAA when it matters.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
not with the way pastner recruits.

Yup. Number 1 incoming class next year and it really isn't close. He does still need to prove he can coach, or that recruiting could slip. But right now, there isn't a better recruiter out there.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Lots of Big time BB programs in the Big East at schools that don't have D-1
football programs. Notre Dame football has a National TV deal and their BB
program has largely been irrelevant for 30 years. I think ISU's success in BB
will be determined largely buy what happens at ISU.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I agree that you can still be a very good Bball school outside of the BCS football leagues.

There is no reason that Hilton can't/won't be packed if we start winning games again. We may have to be a little more creative in our OOC scheduling, if we are in a weak conference, but if KU/K-state are along with us, we'll be solid.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

More importantly think what a move to say the MWC would do to BF and the women's program? It would be a program killer going from the top basketball conference in the nation to a mid major.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
More importantly think what a move to say the MWC would do to BF and the women's program? It would be a program killer going from the top basketball conference in the nation to a mid major.

Agree - and there is no coach in our athletic dept. who emphasizes playing in the Big 12 in recruiting more than Fennelly. All of our top rivals - Okla., Texas, Nebraska, Texas A&M - will be gone.
We lose $1.7 mil a year on women's bb, and even created a new job so Bill's son Billy could work here. We will no longer be able to absorb that kind of a financial loss. We will become Wisc.-Green Bay.