Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It is all about what ESPN or Fox is willing to pay.
I'm not sure the BIG or SEC take anyone, even UNC, if no network is willing to pay more.

To me, is the brand of an FSU better than a new market like north carolina or virginia? And NC state and VT have been better at the game of football than UNC and UVA--not that that matters. see rutgers.
The problem is the payout is so high in the B1G and SEC now that not many schools have a high enough value. So either they have to enter with a much lower payout, or they will reduce the per team payout for current members.

It also has to be said it depends on whether they have a clause to pay more for additions in their contract. Otherwise if ESPN and Fox refuse to pay more for expansion, they will all take a pay cut to invite them until the next contract, no matter what they come in as.

This is what happened with the 4 schools the came last year to the B12, because the contract went through this year, and the media partners would not increase payout for the adds. The irate 8 all took a pay cut for this year, each team reducing their pay to give the 4 teams a cut for the year. Then they were part of the conference when they renegotiated the new contract. And then had a clause in said new contract as to allowing new members to come in, but still everyone is getting less to add 4 instead of 2, because the media partners didnt want to add 4, and the B12 didnt want to enforce the clause for the last 2 and piss of the media partners, knowing they want them to continue in the future.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
There is a school of thought his football career indirectly led to the... incident.

CTE has been documented to cause mood swings and violent outbursts.

Like... doing something terrible to your estranged wife.
I hadnt heard that, but that definitely makes sense, and it is a very real possibility, considering what we now know about CTE.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This Super League idea is dead on arrival, but sure seems to me that could be sweet!

View attachment 127041

I tried to take my own crack at the 10 team divisions of geographical rivals.

Weird fits
  1. Big 8 adopted BYU & Utah (Colorado kinda has rivals with Utah.)
  2. SWC adopted Cinci & Louisville (Conference USA history with SMU & Houston)
  3. Penn St, ND, VT, Miami back in the Big East.
  4. South Carolina most fitting from SEC to ACC due to some history there.
  5. The guys idea was any team that had every been P5 would be included, UCF & USF be happy to be in the group of 5 division but they can't ever be regulated out.
  6. Note: I figure there's enough for 4 group of 5 conferences, the winners promoted next year so the 4 losers are regulated each year. Its tough because college teams are the same year to year. I like the idea though.
Realignment on THC. Finally some of this is making sense!

Back to the real world.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The problem is the payout is so high in the B1G and SEC now that not many schools have a high enough value. So either they have to enter with a much lower payout, or they will reduce the per team payout for current members.

It also has to be said it depends on whether they have a clause to pay more for additions in their contract. Otherwise if ESPN and Fox refuse to pay more for expansion, they will all take a pay cut to invite them until the next contract, no matter what they come in as.

This is what happened with the 4 schools the came last year to the B12, because the contract went through this year, and the media partners would not increase payout for the adds. The irate 8 all took a pay cut for this year, each team reducing their pay to give the 4 teams a cut for the year. Then they were part of the conference when they renegotiated the new contract. And then had a clause in said new contract as to allowing new members to come in, but still everyone is getting less to add 4 instead of 2, because the media partners didnt want to add 4, and the B12 didnt want to enforce the clause for the last 2 and piss of the media partners, knowing they want them to continue in the future.
I'd be surprised if they didn't include an escalator for new members.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
While I agree it is not a good look to display said trophy.

I also can look at it as he was innocent when he won said trophy.

All his crimes and alleged crimes (that he was acquitted for) happened many years after.

I could argue both ways on the subject.

But yes I agree it is a bad look. But also something I really care about.

Now if they did something specific to celebrate him today it would be worse, like electing him to their hall of fame or retiring jersey or something like that, after all the bad stuff has happened, that would be worse. But leaving a trophy he won decades ago before his crimes etc on a the shelf...not really as big of deal. To me anyway.

The mother ****** was found guilty in the civil case.

He tried to cash in on the murder and put his goddam name on a book detailing how he "would've" done it.

If that happened in Ames I'd hope we'd melt the ******* trophy down or sell it to start a fund for the victims. You know. The ex-wife he stalked and almost decapitated.

So USC can **** way the hell off of their high horse named Traveler. Having the trophy on display does celebrate him.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
My guess...

SEC adds Clemson and FSU to stay regional. They have shown they prefer to stay in the southeast.
B1G adds UNC and UVA. UVA is basically a Maryland add, but those schools fit the mold.
ACC will try to stay together to keep its agreement with ND, and will look to add UConn, Tulane, Washington St. and Oregon St. to bridge the gap between SMU/CAL/Stanford. This keeps ESPNs deal intact.

Something of note here with all the ESPN layoffs and cost cutting, it has to be known that the pot of money isn't as big as it used to be. I think that alone will limit most moves saving the ACC.

Yormark renegotiates the CFP agreement bumping the Big12's numbers up past the ACC. After that, it's possible the Big12 goes on the move again and possibly entices some of NCST, VT, Miami, Louisville, Pitt, Duke and GT.

Schools to watch in the Big12 wanting to jump to B1G (if possible) would be KU, CU, Utah and Arizona.

One last note... As far as "State" going with "Flagship" at the political level I don't think that matters anymore other than grandstanding. At worst, it will likely be a "pay me some" like Cal got from UCLA and it wouldn't stop the move.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'd be surprised if they didn't include an escalator for new members.
I dont know, it didnt sound like they did, which is the reason Oregon and Wash were added at such a discount, until at least the next contract.

I dont think there was a built in Escalator so they got what Fox was willing to pay....or it is coming off the top from the other teams, which I doubt, my guess is there was no built in pro rata, so they went back to Fox and they gave those schools what Fox was willing to pay. At that point it was take it or leave it.

USCLA was negotiated into the contract, which is part of the reason, people believe there was a lot more done behind the scenes, because that was already worked out in the contract. But more additions were not.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I dont know, it didnt sound like they did, which is the reason Oregon and Wash were added at such a discount, until at least the next contract.

I dont think there was a built in Escalator so they got what Fox was willing to pay....or it is coming off the top from the other teams, which I doubt, my guess is there was no built in pro rata, so they went back to Fox and they gave those schools what Fox was willing to pay. At that point it was take it or leave it.

USCLA was negotiated into the contract, which is part of the reason, people believe there was a lot more done behind the scenes, because that was already worked out in the contract. But more additions were not.
Looks like there was.

"The seven-year media rights deal is worth $7-8 billion. The deal also has an "escalator clause" that can make the deal worth $10 billion if the Big Ten can attract more members."

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Looks like there was.

"The seven-year media rights deal is worth $7-8 billion. The deal also has an "escalator clause" that can make the deal worth $10 billion if the Big Ten can attract more members."
I stand corrected, I do remember that was reported now.

There may be a limit on how many schools, similar to the B12. Technically there was no limit, but Espn and Fox only wanted 2, the B12 could have forced their hand and made them pay full share for all 4, but in the end decided to make a deal to make the media partners happy.

One would question with the reluctance to even add Oregon and Wash, they may want to limit the number as much as possible.

I also wonder what kind of escalator they have considering they would not give full share to Oregon and Wash. Maybe its not a straight up pro rata, but an agreement to negotiate each addition and their value at the time they are added.

Also note this was reported in the same article...so I am not sure everything in it is completely factual based on documentation as we saw they didnt exactly want ORWA and absolutely not Stan and Cal.

"Two months ago, the Big Ten agreed to include USC and UCLA into the conference, which will begin as soon as 2024. The conference has interest in recruiting Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal, according to Action Network. "

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
We already have the NCAA Final 4 on TBS vs. CBS. I have a feeling that within the next decade all NCAA and Professional Championships won't be shown on OTA Networks.

The new CFP deal (2026) puts the championship game back on ABC.

WBB was moved to ABC last year.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I stand corrected, I do remember that was reported now.

There may be a limit on how many schools, similar to the B12. Technically there was no limit, but Espn and Fox only wanted 2, the B12 could have forced their hand and made them pay full share for all 4, but in the end decided to make a deal to make the media partners happy.

One would question with the reluctance to even add Oregon and Wash, they may want to limit the number as much as possible.

I also wonder what kind of escalator they have considering they would not give full share to Oregon and Wash. Maybe its not a straight up pro rata, but an agreement to negotiate each addition and their value at the time they are added.

Also note this was reported in the same article...so I am not sure everything in it is completely factual based on documentation as we saw they didnt exactly want ORWA and absolutely not Stan and Cal.

"Two months ago, the Big Ten agreed to include USC and UCLA into the conference, which will begin as soon as 2024. The conference has interest in recruiting Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal, according to Action Network. "
It could be as simple as the escalator clause to reach 10 billion the league would have to add ND, and any other schools not named ND would bring in less cash from the contract. Maryland and Rutgers were worth $50 million each to the league at the time they were brought in. Today you have to bring in over a $100 million in new revenue to even be considered. Oregon and Washington will not get a full share of the revenue even in 2030 and there is nothing that says that they ever will. ND is the end all for the B10, if they could somehow get them, I think they would stop expanding. There has been some talk of the B10 wanting FSU and then either one of UNC or UV, to capture the Florida market, but it all comes down to ND.

Reactions: 2speedy1
Sep 10, 2015
New Athletic article today about the changing landscape with lots of interesting quotes. The cliffs notes is that everyone agrees the players are going to get paid but beyond that nobody agrees on anything. Even the people that you would think would know these things don’t seem to know how/if Title IX applies to this, if it’s really the end of non-revenue sports, etc.

Here are a few of the more interesting quotes.

Alicia Jessop, a Pepperdine sports administration professor who doubles as the school’s NCAA faculty athletics representative, demanded the NCAA shift course and accept that athletes are employees. Jessop, a member of the NCAA Division I men’s basketball oversight committee and a practicing attorney, argued that putting up resistance and talk of collateral damage is “fear-mongering.”

Some believe a school or a conference will direct revenue toward athletes. Lens said he knows plenty of athletic administrators who want to bargain with their athletes right now.

“The NCAA might try to kick them out,” Lens said, “but somebody is going to take a very progressive step and do that on their own.”

Many, if not most, athletic departments are preparing for the next step and want closure as soon as possible. In an interview with The Athletic, Iowa athletic director Beth Goetz said, “There’s not a day that goes by where we’re not talking about what the future of college athletics would look like.” That also includes discussion of a super football league, reported last week by The Athletic, in which one entity would control college football with a union and collective bargaining. That would offload the antitrust issues the NCAA perpetually faces.

“We all want what’s best for college athletics and college sports and if you’re really trying to figure that out, putting limits on ideas that come out, I don’t know if that always makes sense,” Goetz said about the football super league. “Whether or not this is something that we really should pursue, I don’t know yet. But there might be some pieces of that that actually lead to a solution. … I think those are good conversation starters.”

https://theathletic.com/5406854/202...players-employees/?source=user_shared_articleAs ‘avalanche’ hits NCAA and paying players debate continues, change is coming

Last edited:
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Noticed looking at both osu and wsu football schedules they are playing Oregon and Washington respectively next year. Wonder if that's a temporary thing or they will still continue to play as non conf. opp going forward.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Noticed looking at both osu and wsu football schedules they are playing Oregon and Washington respectively next year. Wonder if that's a temporary thing or they will still continue to play as non conf. opp going forward.
Washington WSU is through 2028 at least, Oregon OSU for two years. All 4 want to keep it going though.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My guess...

SEC adds Clemson and FSU to stay regional. They have shown they prefer to stay in the southeast.
B1G adds UNC and UVA. UVA is basically a Maryland add, but those schools fit the mold.
ACC will try to stay together to keep its agreement with ND, and will look to add UConn, Tulane, Washington St. and Oregon St. to bridge the gap between SMU/CAL/Stanford. This keeps ESPNs deal intact.

Something of note here with all the ESPN layoffs and cost cutting, it has to be known that the pot of money isn't as big as it used to be. I think that alone will limit most moves saving the ACC.

Yormark renegotiates the CFP agreement bumping the Big12's numbers up past the ACC. After that, it's possible the Big12 goes on the move again and possibly entices some of NCST, VT, Miami, Louisville, Pitt, Duke and GT.

Schools to watch in the Big12 wanting to jump to B1G (if possible) would be KU, CU, Utah and Arizona.

One last note... As far as "State" going with "Flagship" at the political level I don't think that matters anymore other than grandstanding. At worst, it will likely be a "pay me some" like Cal got from UCLA and it wouldn't stop the move.

If it's just those four leaving the ACC could hold...although them going coast to coast for programs that don't bring the $$$ is not a long term winner, they've already done it so they may double down anyway.

If any more than those four leave, the whole thing crumbles and the Big 12 adds 2-6 programs that make total sense (Uconn potentially being one of them although Big East may be preferred by them over Big 12 and ACC). 3-5 ACC schools will get shafted in a collapse just like WSU/OR St, probably the three they just added along with at least one of BC/Syracuse/Wake Forest.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron