Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
More ***** slinging...

Ignoring the MHVer of it all, if it means we get more money and network TV exposure on CBS, then sign me up for some Wednesday or Friday night games. I know some people who care more about tailgating will disagree.

Thursday night is probably going to lose attractiveness for CFB broadcasters as the NFL continues to stake a claim in it. I think the B1G is playing on Fridays and obviously there are HS FB games there then so I would be intrigued by Wednesdays. Just give the Wednesday night teams a bye week beforehand so they have ~10 days off before and after the game.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Y
Some Pac-12 fans are criticizing the analysis so I'm not sure if it's accurate, but yeah if that is accurate then the B12 will be able to add any Pac-12 school that it wants.

But given how wide the revenue gap is - and the fact that it's caused by the Pac-12 having lower-value schools - the Big 12 might be wise to reconsider who it wants to add. Would the best move be to take just two of the four corner schools plus Oregon and Washington? The two highest value in TV money are likely Arizona State and Utah. (That might explain the reports that Arizona and Colorado are more ready to jump now than are ASU and UU.) But maybe Arizona State and Colorado is a better play to get the Big 12 into more states. Then Wazzu, Oregon State, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, and Utah can rebuild a Pac-10 with Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV, and SMU. Good luck.

What are they disagreeing with?

-What we know though is that with OUT the Big 12 was solidly 3rd, higher than the Pac12. So if the conferences had roughly the same departure hit in terms of %, one would expect the Big 12 to remain ahead.

-Also, these deals tend to be front loaded in value from the conference's perspective. So the conference gets overpaid at first, then underpaid on the backend (assuming rights keep escalating, which will eventually stop). If the PAC is unwilling to sign a long GOR because of the uncertainty, the jump from now is going to be lower than we typically see.

-One counter may be that the Pac12 (with USC/UCLA) was on the backend of a longer deal, so they could have been expecting a bigger jump than the Big 12, to narrow that original gap. But the Big 12 jump in 2025 should have about the same given ratings/performance. So not much change in positioning.

Have the PAC 12 fans seen their ratings and performance? Now without AT LEAST USC and UCLA? A PAC without CA. What network wants to bet on that?

The PAC needs to be much less PAC in order to maximize valuation. Which is why the top going to the Big 12 is a higher valuation than the top of the Big 12 going to the PAC.

I mean, the west coast won't even watch PAC schools, and the apathy is only going to get worse as a west coast conference that functionally doesn't have CA, but they're going to watch some 2nd tier Texas schools and Midwest programs? There is no way around that even with USC/UCLA was trending downwards. And the fundamentals causing that likely to only get worse.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Interesting. I am sure there is a lot of projection and assumptions but either way it lines up with many think that there will be a P4 now and the PAC 12 will basically be a P5 level conference. Skimming the replies I think this is only the current conferences and doesn't include what would happen if the PAC Corner schools left for the B12. I assume that with the new resulting contract would bring the B12 up to the clear P3 conference.
Hard to tell, depends on how much value they bring because in that case you're splitting the pie 16 ways instead of 12.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Ignoring the MHVer of it all, if it means we get more money and network TV exposure on CBS, then sign me up for some Wednesday or Friday night games. I know some people who care more about tailgating will disagree.

Thursday night is probably going to lose attractiveness for CFB broadcasters as the NFL continues to stake a claim in it. I think the B1G is playing on Fridays and obviously there are HS FB games there then so I would be intrigued by Wednesdays. Just give the Wednesday night teams a bye week beforehand so they have ~10 days off before and after the gam
He's not the first place I've seen reference to CBS wanting the Big12 after losing the SEC. They have a local channel for great exposure, sign me up! Bundle paramount+ with 247 and it could be a cool offering.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hard to tell, depends on how much value they bring because in that case you're splitting the pie 16 ways instead of 12.

Getting a 3rd conference of consolidated P5 leftovers is more important than revenue imo. Getting to a Big 18 is on the path to that. Hopefully the BIG wants to add Stanford and Cal so it doesn't need to be a Big 20.

Roughly the same number of former P5 20-24 schools in a 3rd "super" conference competing for 2 autos to CFP is the ideal setup rather than two or three former P5s, maybe backfilled, and fighting for scraps.

The non-P2 conferences, whether just one or three, are not competing in revenue with the P2. Move on to salvaging some perception that it is 3 super conferences.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
He is accounting for expanded playoffs which isn't guaranteed to happen. Fun to read someone taking a stab ar media rights but take them with a grain of salt like everything you read on Twitter.

So how much of SEC and B1G money is the projected CFP money? SEC and B1G trying to garner most of the spots. Based on 12 spots?

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So how much of SEC and B1G money is the projected CFP money? SEC and B1G trying to garner most of the spots. Based on 12 spots?
According to his numbers, he expects the Big ten and SEC to rule it with ACC in third and Big XII in fourth and probably not getting one. If he is being realistic to how the breakdown would be in a slanted playoff, I would guess 4 to SEC, 3 to Big 10, and one to the ACC (If he wants them to be the third in line).

They originally thought OuT would be 50% of our TV markets, now they think maybe only a 5MM hit. I would guess the PAC would be in that 30 MM area.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
According to his numbers, he expects the Big ten and SEC to rule it with ACC in third and Big XII in fourth and probably not getting one. If he is being realistic to how the breakdown would be in a slanted playoff, I would guess 4 to SEC, 3 to Big 10, and one to the ACC (If he wants them to be the third in line).

They originally thought OuT would be 50% of our TV markets, now they think maybe only a 5MM hit. I would guess the PAC would be in that 30 MM area.
The graphic says its based on each P5 gets a automatic bid.
1657722474964.png