Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Two more weeks. That's when the teams start to shuffle. If the 4 corner schools are moving, it'll happen in about two weeks after the 30 day period for the PAC media deal draws to a close and they see the comparatively low numbers.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Just looking at Arizona schools, they've never had nice road trips. 9-11 hours to socal was their best and that is far with potential for insane traffic entering from far east metro sprawl.

The entire Pac has always had to travel a ton. Each school only had one local rival, then the next two really weren't that close. Utah and CU weren't really close to anybody either when they joined.

Even after being endlessly picked over, ISU/KU/KSU/OKSt is a closer block of schools than any of these Pac schools will every have in any conference.

Driving LA to bay area isn't a picnic because of traffic. I've done it a few times. It's a range of 5-10 hours, that's how wildly different it can be depending on which part you are heading toward.
I assume your giving round trip from Phoenix to Los Angeles

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Colorado and Utah should as well as should Oregon and Washington. USC, UCLA are gone cause they know the dollars are not there.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I assume your giving round trip from Phoenix to Los Angeles

I live near ucla, I’d give it 9-10ish hours to Tucson with typical traffic. You could do 7.5 hours if you left after 9pm and drive fast with zero traffic through the night.

The LA metro stretch of that drive varies between an hour and four hours. It’s why the rich people fly to Palm Springs.

These schools have never had a fun easy road trip partner besides each other.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Someone on BYU's cougarboard took the time to look through the possible additions' fansites and see what the general sentiment is on moving to the B12, I think it looks pretty interesting and spot on from what I've seen:

Arizona - Wildcats fans are downright excited at the possibility of getting into the Big12. One thing that is important to remember here is that they are on the whole much more passionate about basketball, and understand how fun and competitive it will be. Most are already saying it would be a travesty if their administration doesn't get them to the Big 12.

Arizona State - Not as excited about the Big 12, but most acknowledge that it is a better option than remaining in the Pac 12. The talk of ASU to the SEC is pretty much completely gone, and most just don't see the Pac 12 as a viable option long term.

Colorado - Similar to ASU - they see it as their best option. A lot of their fan twitter accounts have been throwing around humorous gifs of them coming back and begging for forgiveness lol

Oregon and Washington - still think they're going to the B1G. There's actually more positivity now than there was last week among their fans regarding the Big 12, but on the whole they are still openly disdainful

Utah - some of the more fantastical fans think they're getting a B1G invite, but most seem desperate to make the Pac-10 work. There's a significant amount more speculation on their boards regarding the ACC merger, and a general refusal to believe the media numbers being thrown around (one had a direct link to Jeff Fuller's tweet, with the comments generally focused on how he had "manipulated" the numbers to benefit the Big 12). The funny thing is I get the impression that if the Big 12 had added SDSU or Memphis last year instead of BYU, Utah would have a similar attitude to ASU and Colorado. They just can't bring themselves to be excited about anything related to BYU, and it has completely affected the way they view the situation.

Link: https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=28925810

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Arizona schools leave then Colorado and Utah see the writing on the wall. Oregon and Washington then have to face reality. Get the Arizona schools. Then continue as the dominoes fall.

I hope so.

I think CU may have to be in lockstep with AZ schools for it to occur. At that point, if those 3 leave, anyone staying in PAC is just staying until Stanford leaves, maybe more. And when that occurs the Big 12 can be very selective.

I’ve read on PAC forums that the Pac schools can wait and the Big 12 will always be there saying “yes”

That is not true. A big part of the Big 12’s main interest in these three, and Utah given we already have BYU, is offense as its best defense. Two average brand AZ schools aren’t what we really want, and adding CU may even decrease revenue in isolation. Honestly the G5 schools we added are better positioned to have success in a P2 world.

If the BIG does the destabilizing work for us, and at least one of UW, Stanford, and Oregon go to BIG, not all mountain 4 schools may have an invite. Especially if all three of those top PAC go BIG. The PAC is already dead at that point, not a threat to team with ACC, and the Big 12 can be more selective.

This is the only time those 4 can dictate their future and lock in a spot in the eventual P3. Wait it out with schools with standing applications to BIG, and they all may not get an invite to Big 12, and there may not even be a Big 12

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Someone on BYU's cougarboard took the time to look through the possible additions' fansites and see what the general sentiment is on moving to the B12, I think it looks pretty interesting and spot on from what I've seen:

Arizona - Wildcats fans are downright excited at the possibility of getting into the Big12. One thing that is important to remember here is that they are on the whole much more passionate about basketball, and understand how fun and competitive it will be. Most are already saying it would be a travesty if their administration doesn't get them to the Big 12.

Arizona State - Not as excited about the Big 12, but most acknowledge that it is a better option than remaining in the Pac 12. The talk of ASU to the SEC is pretty much completely gone, and most just don't see the Pac 12 as a viable option long term.

Colorado - Similar to ASU - they see it as their best option. A lot of their fan twitter accounts have been throwing around humorous gifs of them coming back and begging for forgiveness lol

Oregon and Washington - still think they're going to the B1G. There's actually more positivity now than there was last week among their fans regarding the Big 12, but on the whole they are still openly disdainful

Utah - some of the more fantastical fans think they're getting a B1G invite, but most seem desperate to make the Pac-10 work. There's a significant amount more speculation on their boards regarding the ACC merger, and a general refusal to believe the media numbers being thrown around (one had a direct link to Jeff Fuller's tweet, with the comments generally focused on how he had "manipulated" the numbers to benefit the Big 12). The funny thing is I get the impression that if the Big 12 had added SDSU or Memphis last year instead of BYU, Utah would have a similar attitude to ASU and Colorado. They just can't bring themselves to be excited about anything related to BYU, and it has completely affected the way they view the situation.

Makes sense.

Pac has been good for Utah and they should have been power 5 long before they were. Makes sense they want to protect it.

I wonder if Utah and BYU fans want to be in same conf again or hate so bad they want to be separate. I’d prefer Iowa was a conf game if we started from scratch drawing up conferences with just fun games in mind.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Makes sense.

Pac has been good for Utah and they should have been power 5 long before they were. Makes sense they want to protect it.

I wonder if Utah and BYU fans want to be in same conf again or hate so bad they want to be separate. I’d prefer Iowa was a conf game if we started from scratch drawing up conferences with just fun games in mind.
Utah and BYU don't want to be in the same conference. Like, really don't want to be.

• Agree
Reactions: Jkclone15

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'm sure Yormark sees dollar signs in the Holy War. It'd be nice if it was wholly owned by the Big 12.
This. The school ADs have to see how this adds a ton of value ($) to the contracts. It's not like an extra 10 mil but having games like this that the networks know are going to draw no matter what are highly valuable.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

thanks for sharing.... I've checked in on those boards a few time the since this started and I think it each fanbase pretty well. I do think a majority Colorado fans want a return to the Big 12 due to obvious financial security, rekindling old rivalries and reliving the time when they were relevant in sports (they realize the PAC12 move has cratered their FB/BB). Arizona and CO are the two Jinga pieces that are ready to be pulled by Yormak.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Stew is terrible and still thinks the Pac has the upper hand, but decided to write about a full merger possibility.

He proposes adding San Diego State and SMU and then forming four 6-team divisions.

I am just glad the most prominent Big 12 despisers like Mandel are now confronting the reality that the league is likely to survive and thrive.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhoISthis

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Stew is terrible and still thinks the Pac has the upper leg, but decided to write about a full merger possibility.

He proposes adding San Diego State and SMU and then forming four 6-team divisions.

I am just glad the most prominent Big 12 despisers like Mandel are now confronting the reality that the league is likely to survive and thrive.
Unfortunately our commissioner said we aren’t adding teams to water down the payouts. So a full merger is off the table.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron