Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You make some valid points, but to add the 2 weakest from an already weakened PAC, does not equal winning (surviving...whatever you want to call it). It probably makes the Pac stronger and it definitely makes the Big12 weaker.
Yeah if OSU and WSU left the PAC, they could just add SDSU and somebody else and be no worse for it. Those teams leaving wouldn’t do a damn thing to destabilize the league.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ok, we've said the same things over enough now but we have folks suggesting offering wazzu first. I think this thread should locked until something actually happens. We've jumped the shark. :eek:

No talking that way, CW's kids need new shoes.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I don't think an alliance does much, but a full out poaching of the PAC by the ACC would.

Imo the real threat is ESPN taking UW, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and Utah, and adding them as full members of ACC. Although it would be a bait and switch, it would give that conference a legitimate case as the best P3 for the time being. Maybe enough to then pull 5 Big 12 schools, getting to 24.

The 5 remaining PAC and 7 remaining Big 12 would form a conference, adding some Mountain West and AAC

I said aligned with SEC, which they would have no problem doing if the SEC added 7-8 ACC schools. All ND needs from SEC/ESPN is helping them get P2 money and not getting locked out of CFP. SEC would accommodate just to prevent ND going BIG. That is likely what ND is mulling over right now imo.

But even in full membership hypothetical, I've heard that's not necessarily true on ND being "never SEC" due to academics. If the SEC added 7 ACC schools to UT, A&M, Missouri, Vandy, UF its academics are is acceptable to ND. FSU and UGa are climbing, quickly, too. FSU will be AAU and top-25 public school soon due to FL's population and economic growth. The issue with full SEC membership compared to BIG is that SEC would be more prohibitive to making the playoffs for ND.
ND is huge on tradition. Three of their 4 biggest rivals (USC, Michigan, Michigan St) are in the Big 10. Navy’s not getting an invite to the P2. Miami and Florida St might be #5 and #6. Even if they go to the SEC, it’s not going to cut it, ND isn’t going to turn its back on that.

The ACC made the deal with ND out of a position of weakness. I don’t see the Big 10 or SEC making a similar deal for quasi-membership when they have a stranglehold on CFB blue bloods.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
VT, Pitt, Louisville, GT, and Miami added to WVU, Cincy, and UCF would make for a nice Big 12 East. If we get 3 of those we'll have done well. I think Miami and VT may be near locks for P2.

The Big 12 being the P3 is best for ISU, but most possible scenarios will have us in the east if they go divisions imo. Hopefully we can force a pod with other R8 schools. Getting Stanford and Cal to BIG would help.

West:
UW, Oregon, Utah, BYU, CU (West pod)
AZ, ASU, TT, TCU, Houston (SW pod)

East:
Baylor, Ok St, KSU, KU, ISU, (central pod)
Cincy, UL, Pitt, WVU, UCF (east pod)

Cuse takes UL's spot if they get a P2 invite.

If Stanford and Cal are in there, CU gets moved to SW pod, and we add Cuse and GT to get to 24 (I think ESPN would roll the ACC Network into the Big 12 network, so Cuse and GT have more value then).

Miami, VT, NC St, are all obvious takes if available, but it seems very unlikely the ACC splits up and they are. In that order imo. If we have Stanford and Cal, which happens first, I think Pitt would be the first cut, say in favor of Miami. If VT is also available, I wonder if we'd would go past 24 given the risk some later leave for P2. I don't see any of the new adds getting kicked out- that's a dangerous path.
The way I have it set up now is:
West - Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Utah, Colorado
Midwest - Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech
East - West Virginia, Louisville, Pitt, VT, Cincy
South - Baylor, Houston, TCU, UCF, Miami

Overall I lean Pitt over NC State because Pitt has a better fit. Longer tradition with the schools in the east pod, sports have been better, and has played all of them a bit. NC State feels very Maryland in the Big 10 to me. Some history but not a ton with the eastern teams while Pitt is direct rivals with a few.

Just in general I wouldn't mind leaving a little money on the table in markets if we can make it up in exciting rivalries, which is the one market I think the SEC and Big 10 might struggle in, with the SEC having a ton that feel one sided and the Big 10 just being a bunch of random teams thrown together to play who gives a **** games. For me the Big 12's success in the future depends on being different than the top 2, and repairing old rivalries while matching up similar fan bases is one area where I think we can really shine and get ourselves good press. Hearing stuff like the Big 12 is making college football what college football is supposed to be will go a long ways towards fixing the perception issues we have.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
VT, Pitt, Louisville, GT, and Miami added to WVU, Cincy, and UCF would make for a nice Big 12 East. If we get 3 of those we'll have done well. I think Miami and VT may be near locks for P2.

The Big 12 being the P3 is best for ISU, but most possible scenarios will have us in the east if they go divisions imo. Hopefully we can force a pod with other R8 schools. Getting Stanford and Cal to BIG would help.

West:
UW, Oregon, Utah, BYU, CU (West pod)
AZ, ASU, TT, TCU, Houston (SW pod)

East:
Baylor, Ok St, KSU, KU, ISU, (central pod)
Cincy, UL, Pitt, WVU, UCF (east pod)

Cuse takes UL's spot if they get a P2 invite.

If Stanford and Cal are in there, CU gets moved to SW pod, and we add Cuse and GT to get to 24 (I think ESPN would roll the ACC Network into the Big 12 network, so Cuse and GT have more value then).

Miami, VT, NC St, are all obvious takes if available, but it seems very unlikely the ACC splits up and they are. In that order imo. If we have Stanford and Cal, which happens first, I think Pitt would be the first cut, say in favor of Miami. If VT is also available, I wonder if we'd would go past 24 given the risk some later leave for P2. I don't see any of the new adds getting kicked out- that's a dangerous path.
If.you go to 24, can have three 8 team divisions and then a 4 team CCG with a wildcard. Would make geography and travel easier: east, west, and central.

Its more a league than conference, but youd have 3 small conferences really, and some real rivalries would exist. Back to the future...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
ND is huge on tradition. Three of their 4 biggest rivals (USC, Michigan, Michigan St) are in the Big 10. Navy’s not getting an invite to the P2. Miami and Florida St might be #5 and #6. Even if they go to the SEC, it’s not going to cut it, ND isn’t going to turn its back on that.

The ACC made the deal with ND out of a position of weakness. I don’t see the Big 10 or SEC making a similar deal for quasi-membership when they have a stranglehold on CFB blue bloods.
ND does not play Michigan very often. Next game is scheduled for 2033. USC, Navy, Purdue (instate) would be their three biggest. Then you have BC, Mich st, army, and lately Stanford as teams they have played quite a bit.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If.you go to 24, can have three 8 team divisions and then a 4 team CCG with a wildcard. Would make geography and travel easier: east, west, and central.

Its more a league than conference, but youd have 3 small conferences really, and some real rivalries would exist. Back to the future...
That’s the benefit of going big. As you said, you get to league size, which allows many setups

It’s really about bundling rights and consolidation all the leftovers so perception is better.

With just one conference, the 3rd conference can be the “other guy”. That’s a role.

At multiple leftover conferences, we’d be the “other level”’

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Tradition? Like ND has a tradition of independence? The foremost traditional aspect of ND. So yes, aligning with the SEC is very much in play if it keeps ND independent.

And just the talk about which conference shows you it’s a new time.

The SEC has made such an alignment offer to ND. Of which most importantly ND knows it won’t be locked out. It’s not about being in a position of weakness. They both benefit. The question is whether the money is equal or equal enough.

There’s still also a chance the ACC gets improved since the BIG stopped at 2. Perhaps to entice ND with as large of number as possible

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Not sure if this was already posted, but Gavin Newsom should be pissed. UCLA made the B1G move under the cover of darkness. When you are part of a university system and you have a fellow school like Cal in your conference the Board of Regents should be in the loop. What is shocking in the article is how bad off UCLA’s AD is financially. This B1G move gives them a life raft but will bury Cal who is in worse financial shape from what I have read. UCLA will get away with it though because of the size of California and their general apathy toward college sports. If this happened in places like Mississippi, Oklahoma, Kansas or Alabama people would explode.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Not sure if this was already posted, but Gavin Newsom should be pissed. UCLA made the B1G move under the cover of darkness. When you are part of a university system and you have a fellow school like Cal in your conference the Board of Regents should be in the loop. What is shocking in the article is how bad off UCLA’s AD is financially. This B1G move gives them a life raft but will bury Cal who is in worse financial shape from what I have read. UCLA will get away with it though because of the size of California and their general apathy toward college sports. If this happened in places like Mississippi, Oklahoma, Kansas or Alabama people would explode.

Two weeks later is odd timing. Is it apathy or something else? This would have been the next day in any state that cares about college athletics.

I think the only two outcomes of this are nothing (most likely) or it is a ruse for Cal to also get a BIG invite. Perhaps that was the plan all along.

Some say it is Stanford trying to get UCLA flipped out for Stanford.

I say the BIG takes them all.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That’s the benefit of going big. As you said, you get to league size, which allows many setups

It’s really about bundling rights and consolidation all the leftovers so perception is better.

With just one conference, the 3rd conference can be the “other guy”. That’s a role.

At multiple leftover conferences, we’d be the “other level”’
It also puts you in a position to be in charge if a super league raptures out the top 20ish brands. If suddenly the 2nd tier schools of the b1g and acc find themselves left in the cold, you can offer to bring them in to the system and rules you already built and control.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Two weeks later is odd timing. Is it apathy or something else? This would have been the next day in any state that cares about college athletics.

I think the only two outcomes of this are nothing (most likely) or it is a ruse for Cal to also get a BIG invite. Perhaps that was the plan all along.

Some say it is Stanford trying to get UCLA flipped out for Stanford.

I say the BIG takes them all.
Man, that is freaking Thunderdome type stuff there. Just eating themselves to join a rust belt conference.

That said, i wouldnt be super shocked if they took 2 more of cal, stanford, and wash. Esp if fox thinks they can be better off dissolving the pac into the big 12 and b1g. Theyd have controll of all that content, basically everything but the sec and acc.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It also puts you in a position to be in charge if a super league raptures out the top 20ish brands. If suddenly the 2nd tier schools of the b1g and acc find themselves left in the cold, you can offer to bring them in to the system and rules you already built and control.

You're one step from promotion/relegation with that.

And at 24 schools in the P3, I think there would be some risk that factions develop in which the "3" splits, even though it is not good long term for that level. But the networks would push it imo. But in terms of promotion/relegation, you could see that in which ESPN wants to create its SEC feeder and FOX its BIG feeder.

I think we could already being seeing that, if FOX makes a play to underwrite the formation of a Big 20 with Stanford, UW, Oregon, Cal, KU etc in their middle class conference, with ESPN still having the ACC. But at that point, ESPN has a problem on its hands in terms of the ACC imo. ESPN would need to pay more for schools under contract, or move some to the SEC, and then they have a rather weak ACC

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Lots of aspirational and fluffy expectations from the guy, but his comments don't make it sound like UCLA is legally required in any way to involve the regents.

"Did we have a chance to discuss the merits (of the decision)? I’m not aware anyone did. So it was done in isolation. It was done without regental oversight or support. It was done without any consideration to my knowledge."

I'm no lawyer but it sounds like pretty shaky legal ground on which to build a case.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Man, that is freaking Thunderdome type stuff there. Just eating themselves to join a rust belt conference.

That said, i wouldnt be super shocked if they took 2 more of cal, stanford, and wash. Esp if fox thinks they can be better off dissolving the pac into the big 12 and b1g. Theyd have controll of all that content, basically everything but the sec and acc.

In an eventual actual split stemming from philosophical differences on college athletics, I think they could end up back in with the 20-28 leftover P5s regardless. The "3" in P3 could very well be the precursor to the legacy entity of the NCAA we all knew, with the P2 getting down to 32 to 40 schools that want something else. The benefit of aggregating into one entity that is the "other guy" is I think if it happens slowly over 10+ years, it is not necessarily terminal for the 1/3 to 1/2 of the P5s that remain playing the version of college athletics we have always known. I could be wrong on that, but functionally the schedule changes by only 2-4 games a year. Not having a chance to match up with brands like ND or Clemson in post-season would be a buzz kill

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Lots of aspirational and fluffy expectations from the guy, but his comments don't make it sound like UCLA is legally required in any way to involve the regents.

"Did we have a chance to discuss the merits (of the decision)? I’m not aware anyone did. So it was done in isolation. It was done without regental oversight or support. It was done without any consideration to my knowledge."

I'm no lawyer but it sounds like pretty shaky legal ground on which to build a case.
I don’t think there is anything Newsom and the Regents can do about it legally. Rather it’s just another example of how respect, ethics and decorum have gone out the window. A lighter version of how ESPN, SEC, OU and Texas were secretly plotting to destroy the Big 12. No one cares about those things anymore.

Reactions: Kinch