Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If true....this is an opportunity for the B12. Don't know if the B12 is satisfied with the projected additions but the remnants of the PAC12 sure are enticing targets.

It's a no brainer if the right schools are interested in joining and I'm more than half expecting them to screw it up.

Reactions: dexterhawk

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If true....this is an opportunity for the B12. Don't know if the B12 is satisfied with the projected additions but the remnants of the PAC12 sure are enticing targets.

I don't think there's any doubt the big 12 goes and grabs some remnants. I think the question becomes how many. They could add just 4, add all of them, or somewhere in between.

I'd kind of like to see them add everyone. Keeps things a little bit more stable for future moves, which we all know will happen. Anyone who thinks this realignment stupidity is stopping after these moves is kidding themselves.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Honestly, I think the super conferences are going to end up pushing to an unequal revenue distribution in the future.
I think my mistake in arguing why I think ISU is better suited in the non-super league is I’ve always assumed equal revenue sharing goes away eventually. There is no way USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, etc are going to be content giving 100 mil to Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Miss State, etc.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Seems to me the B1G is only taking 2 because long term the best of the ACC is gonna want out so they aren't going to fill all of their slots with PAC teams. No way Clemson, FLSt, Mia, and UNC are watching this and not wanting out of the dying ACC. If B1G/SEC take best of PAC/ACC/Big12 by going to 20 each, that leaves 30+ solid schools...just band together as the second tier negotiate as a single unit and then build 4 geographical divisions. Winter/smaller sports could schedule as 2 separate divisions. Stop with the every man for themselves stuff and work together.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I don't think there's any doubt the big 12 goes and grabs some remnants. I think the question becomes how many. They could add just 4, add all of them, or somewhere in between.

I'd kind of like to see them add everyone. Keeps things a little bit more stable for future moves, which we all know will happen. Anyone who thinks this realignment stupidity is stopping after these moves is kidding themselves.

I disagree. I don’t think adding Oregon State now makes for more stability later if WVU joins the ACC or whatever. And any move that does not maximize the financial outcome for the league puts it at a competitive disadvantage and also at jeopardy compared to the ACC, even if the ACC is raided in the future. The Big 12 wants to be in a position to poach, not to get poached. I think it has a very strong opportunity to be the #3 conference when this sh**show ends.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013

Might be wise just to snap them all out.....mega west and mega midwest/east divisions. The numbers alone and the amount of product (tv) that produces keeps the b12 safe.

I'm thinking the next move is the B1G/SEC trying to carve up the ACC. ND/NC/Clemson/FSU being the main targets.

Who knows...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
UNC, Virginia, ND and Stanford would be my dream to get to 20.

Why is everyone valuing private Stanford over public Ivy Cal?

You’re talking top ten school on the planet either way if we’re still pretending to care about that.

If it’s divisive politics, having friends who graduated from Stanford, it was “woke” back in the 90s.

It’d be a coin flip choice for me.

• Creative
Reactions: Clonedogg

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I’m curious to see what happens with bowl games now. Do they remain as they are, or do the “mega conferences” begin to set up one off neutral site, mini-playoff type things with major stadiums vying for the event? Basketball has mini tournaments and conference crossover challenges. Could it happen in football?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Might be wise just to snap them all out.....mega west and mega midwest/east divisions. The numbers alone and the amount of product (tv) that produces keeps the b12 safe.

I'm thinking the next move is the B1G/SEC trying to carve up the ACC. ND/NC/Clemson/FSU being the main targets.

Who knows...

The only question with the ACC is their grant of rights going into the mid 2030s and how easily that is broken.

If that's ironclad it may be very difficult for the big 10\SEC to pick that apart for awhile

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They always have, there have never been rumblings about it either. Big12 is The onlygroup that ever had that happened. I know you lived through it so it’s in the forefront of your mind but it is extremely unlikely.
Have been content because they needed the bottom teams. You put 20 teams in the conference and get a east and west like the big team and the east will say we deserve more since we carry the water. If they didn’t care about money, why keep expanding? Expansion has been feeding the blue blood alligators. When it’s down to P2, who gets fed to them. Either unequal or booting teams. If these TV deals come out as 5-6 years (short term) it’s coming. If they have 9-13 year type things like in the past, I will believe you.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think Oregon & Washington are going to end up in the B1G. If I was the Big 12 I'd go for the 2 Arizona schools, Utah & Colorado. Good 16 team conference.

Cal, Stanford, Oregon State & Washington State...you are on your own.
And can grab the ACC leftovers like VT, Syracuse, NC State, BC once the SEC and B1G take the cream. That would fit in well with UCF, WV etc out east.

It would be coast to coast, about 24 schools, same size as the SEC and B1G, just half the revenue. Minor league CFB.

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

You’re talking top ten school on the planet either way if we’re still pretending to care about that.

If it’s divisive politics, having friends who graduated from Stanford, it was “woke” back in the 90s.

Stanford has a better brand and has been more relevant in sports lately. But I agree with you that both at incredible schools

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I’m curious to see what happens with bowl games now. Do they remain as they are, or do the “mega conferences” begin to set up one off neutral site, mini-playoff type things with major stadiums vying for the event? Basketball has mini tournaments and conference crossover challenges. Could it happen in football?

We could be in a situation where a conference could stage a bowl game against itself.

The Big Ten could own its very own bowl game in Orlando and put two teams that didn’t play each other that season in it.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Personally, it's about Stanford's athletic success in everything but the revenue sports. Like you said, academically, it's six of one half dozen of the other. But I'd love to see Stanford's non-revenue programs in the Big Ten.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The very well connected people saying “The B1G isn’t done” are telling you that the B1G is waiting for Washington and Oregon to call them because their lawyers said it’s better to have them initiate it that way. Only open question is if the B1G also would take Cal and Stanford IMO. McMurphy saying the B12 could move on Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado (no mention of the others) is a good hint that he knows this but it’s not done yet.

PAC’s obvious top 6 to make 20 makes way more sense than just two LA schools.

Big 12 instantly drastically more stable and the 4 mountain schools obviously put big 12 at 16.

WSU/Ore St are question marks in really bad spot.

ACC prays like hell everyone leaves them alone and ND keeps its spite based link to them.

New big12/Pac is stable because it’s already been picked over and next SEC big ten money grabs are obviously acc.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Again I strongly disagree and the only sports conference that has done it is the old big 12 and that ended poorly
Conferences are just a name and a means to negotiate a media rights contract. The way things are trending, conference affiliation will not matter in my opinion. Brand is what matters. Not conference brand, school brand. It will only take a handful of big brands to get a sweet deal on their own from one of the many players jumping in the media rights market to decide the conference model isn't for them and there's more money to be made on their own.

Reactions: 2speedy1