Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I like the PAC/ACC partnership idea. As the PAC commissioner checks into it, let's also check into a Big12+6pac schools partnering with the ACC in the same way. Betting i know which version creates the most revenue for all involved.

15 of the 18 schools in the Big 12 could play the entire ACC + Notre Dame each season.

Our schedule most years could be 9 conference games, Iowa, an ACC school, and a cupcake.

Reactions: Dormeezy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If we can save the Big 12 through losing Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and two more schools then the Pac-12 is not beyond saving. They absolutely could continue as a Pac-10 if they stuck together. Dodd reported that the $$$ difference between that Pac-10 and the new Big 12 would be negligible. Two leagues tied for 4th place.
Don’t use Dodds information, he reported that the big XII has no interest in PAC teams. It appears he is trying to save the league.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
We are should be always talking to media people with what ifs. A former fox exec pit Boise (the most valuable school left people think) at 8 MM. there are not non P5 schools left worth much so it’s strictly trying to increase inventory to fill a deal.
Absolutely, so what does a pac12 tv deal look like with SDSU and Boise? probably pretty similar to the new big12 deal. My guess is they will do that or come after big12 teams

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
To be honest I thought the conference attendance had been dropping off the past few years, especially tech and Baylor it seemed like their stadiums were never full, and actually more empty than full, the past few seasons.

That could be. I think that's the overall trend, now that so many games are televised and it's so easy to watch comfortably in your home, on a nice TV. Totally different viewing experience than it was in the 90's or whatever.

But if you watch ACC and/or P12 games, you'll see it's 10x worse than the B12.

• Haha
Reactions: 1776

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Absolutely, so what does a pac12 tv deal look like with SDSU and Boise? probably pretty similar to the new big12 deal. My guess is they will do that or come after big12 teams
Their deal with LA schools was supposed to be less than the big 12 without OuT. So how will it be the same without the LA schools?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If we can save the Big 12 through losing Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and two more schools then the Pac-12 is not beyond saving. They absolutely could continue as a Pac-10 if they stuck together. Dodd reported that the $$$ difference between that Pac-10 and the new Big 12 would be negligible. Two leagues tied for 4th place.
The timing for them now is a hell of a lot worse though.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We'll, if even ONE more PAC 12 school bolts, it's all over for that conference. The PAC is like a major dam with a huge crack in it.
The kicker is that EVERY school there thinks that at least one school other WILL go - so they are all wanting to get out while they can. Remember how Colorado left the Big12 because they were basically scared that others were leaving first? Same thing times 10. Well, Cal & Stanford probably don't care, but the rest do.

The Mountain 4 should be thinking get out while they still have a bit of leverage in negotiations with the Big12. If UW and UO signed with the B1G first, the Mountain 4 have zero negotiation power. Their fallback option is basically to merge with the MWC, call it the Pac12, and hope to get about half the money they get now. Their negotiation strategy with Big12 would basically be "Please Sir may I have some more?"

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonepride

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The kicker is that EVERY school there thinks that at least one school other WILL go - so they are all wanting to get out while they can. Remember how Colorado left the Big12 because they were basically scared that others were leaving first? Same thing times 10. Well, Cal & Stanford probably don't care, but the rest do.

The Mountain 4 should be thinking get out while they still have a bit of leverage in negotiations with the Big12. If UW and UO signed with the B1G first, the Mountain 4 have zero negotiation power. Their fallback option is basically to merge with the MWC, call it the Pac12, and hope to get about half the money they get now. Their negotiation strategy with Big12 would basically be "Please Sir may I have some more?"
Why I only want to take the AZ schools. Let the others sweat it out and force something. They might be able to backfill to 12 with 2 but no way they can find 4. Plus it kills the AZ market for them and ASU is like the number 3 team right now, maybe number 2 for viewership. Then maybe we can get Washington and Utah. Instead of Colorado.

Reactions: CascadeClone

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I’ll take that as a compliment, and do my best to become the poster you’d like me to be. How’s that sound?

Now, back on topic…. this hatred of the Big 12 seemed to all start when they went with the all spread attacks and game scores were like 65-50. For whatever reason, they all hated that.
Just wait until things unravel and we see hit piece after hit piece about how the XII killed the PAC and hurt college football as a whole.

• Wow
  • Optimistic
Reactions: tzjung and GTO

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Also, for those who are confused who ESPN wants to survive, think about who helps them make money the most. It’s the big XII. I know the lawsuit situation and such but what will make them the most money? The playoffs. Who said yes to the playoffs, the big XII did. Kill the conferences who voted against it (wasn’t it the PAC and ACC?) and get three conferences that say yep, let’s go.

Makes sense that they would now be helping the big XII kill the PAC more than trying to help the PAC survive.

• Disagree
Reactions: isucy86

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I agree with this. The big difference is that Colorado fancied itself more aligned with the West Coast. That is why they will hit the pause button and see if the Pac can make it work.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So that means, if there was a true "draft" so to say of schools into a new conference, ISU should be picked over those 4 big ten schools?
I would rather have you in for sure. Unless there was still some kind of market value concern (I know it’s not nearly as important as when we added Rutgers but I know it still plays a small role) I would say it makes sense to have ISU instead in this “redraft”

Reactions: Jerry Seydell

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That could be. I think that's the overall trend, now that so many games are televised and it's so easy to watch comfortably in your home, on a nice TV. Totally different viewing experience than it was in the 90's or whatever.

But if you watch ACC and/or P12 games, you'll see it's 10x worse than the B12.

Their conference title game attendance has been honestly embarrassing. Literally 1,000 people there.

For us nonsubscribers, is there anything in The Athletic article that gives encouragement the Big 12 expansion into PAC 12 is actually going to occur?

Nothing in there to make you think it would happen or would not happen. Just that the PAC is trying to get the TV numbers to try and sell the schools on staying. They'd probably have to cook the books pretty hard to get those figures up to what the Big 12 is even currently making. I hope Yormark is doing the same thing with Big 12 potential partners so he can present the information as well.

• Wow

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Their conference title game attendance has been honestly embarrassing. Literally 1,000 people there.

Nothing in there to make you think it would happen or would not happen. Just that the PAC is trying to get the TV numbers to try and sell the schools on staying. They'd probably have to cook the books pretty hard to get those figures up to what the Big 12 is even currently making. I hope Yormark is doing the same thing with Big 12 potential partners so he can present the information as well.

Doesn't look like 1000 people to me

8981dc89fad7c6cd4420110d610d6544

• Agree